Dog starts kitchen fire by turning on microwave after owner left it home alone

A husky dog like this one turned on a microwave at a home in Essex (File picture: Reuters)
A husky dog like this one turned on a microwave at a home in Essex (File picture: Reuters)

A dog started a kitchen fire in its owner’s home by turning on the microwave.

The husky, which was left on its own in a house in Stanford-Le-Hope, reached up to a kitchen worktop to turn on the appliance, Essex Fire Service said.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

A packet of bread rolls inside the microwave began to burn, causing a small fire in the kitchen on Monday.

The owner wasn’t at the semi-detached two-storey home, but received an alert about the fire on an app on his mobile phone.

He was able to view the fire through a live feed from a camera installed in the home on Kingsman Road.

Read more

Five more women come forward over claims Prince Andrew had sex with trafficked teenager

‘Habsburg Jaw’ seen in European kings ‘was caused by inbreeding’, researchers find

Paranoid schizophrenic found not guilty of murdering three pensioners he thought were paedophiles

Firefighters were called to put out the blaze and the dog was unharmed.

Geoff Wheal, watch manager at Corringham Fire Station, said: "Clearly this is a very strange incident involving the man's dog, but it could still have been more serious.

The dog turned on a microwave after being left home alone (Picture: Getty)
The dog turned on a microwave after being left home alone (Picture: Getty)

"When we arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke.

“Firefighters ensured that the damage did not spread beyond the kitchen area - but it demonstrates that microwaves shouldn't be used to store food when they aren't in use.

"Our advice is to always keep your microwave clean and free of clutter or food and any packaging.

“Animals or children can turn them on more easily than you might think - so please don't run the risk."

---Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK---

What to Read Next

Back