Dodgers fan accused of defying Ohio ballpark ban

The Associated Press

CINCINNATI (AP) -- A Los Angeles Dodgers fan was in jail in Cincinnati on Thursday, accused of trespassing and making threats at the Reds' ballpark he was banned from six years ago.

Troy Sexton, 40, of Hurricane, West Virginia, was arrested Tuesday night at the Dodgers-Reds game. Police say he had been ordered to stay away from Great American Ball Park after his arrest in a melee when the Dodgers were in town in 2008.

Sexton was jailed Thursday under $40,000 bond on misdemeanor charges of criminal trespass and obstructing official business. He also faces a felony count of burglary charging that he trespassed intending to commit a crime, court records showed.

Sexton, who lives nearly 200 miles away, made threats that he wanted to ''shatter lives'' over the next couple of days, ''after having been previously warned to stay off ballpark property,'' a police affidavit said.

His court-appointed attorney, Amy Williams of Newport, Kentucky, said she was reviewing his case.

''Apparently, he's been obsessed with the Dodgers for a long time,'' she said. She said she didn't believe he had any weapons, but said another attorney would probably be appointed to represent him on the burglary count, which could carry prison time upon conviction.

Sexton is known online among Dodger fans as ''Troy From West Virginia'' for video postings about the team and its players, including his admiration for former Dodger relief pitcher Joe Beimel and coarse retorts to critics of young Dodger star Yasiel Puig.

Reds spokesman Rob Butcher referred questions to police. The Dodgers were scheduled to wrap up a four-game visit to Cincinnati with a game Thursday afternoon.

In the 2008 ballpark case, Sexton pleaded guilty to a charge of disorderly conduct while intoxicated, with prosecutors dropping a resisting arrest count.

In West Virginia, Putnam County court records show Sexton has been arrested several times on various charges, most recently drunken driving in April. He hasn't appeared in court yet on that charge. He pleaded guilty in January to making false calls to 911.

He pleaded no contest in 2009 in Putnam County Circuit Court to two counts of domestic battery after he allegedly held one of his sons upside down by an ankle during a football practice.

A message was left Thursday for attorney Thomas Peyton, who represented him in the domestic battery case.

---

Associated Press writer John Raby in Charleston, West Virginia, contributed.

---

Contact Dan Sewell at https://www.twitter.com/dansewell

Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Hockey
Sorry you didn't like this comment. Please provide a reason below.

Are you sure?
Rating failed. Try again.
Request failed. Try again.
We will promote constructive and witty comments to the top, so everyone sees them!
Sorry, we can’t load comments right now. Try again.
    • M's to retire Edgar Martinez's No. 11

      The Mariners will retire former designated hitter Edgar Martinez's No. 11 as he continues to move closer to induction in the baseball Hall of Fame. Seattle President Kevin Mather said Tuesday that Martinez's number will be officially retired Aug. … More »

      AP - Sports - 34 minutes ago
    • Rangers sign 1B Loney to minors deal

      ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- James Loney and the Texas Rangers have finalized a minor league contract that includes an invitation to big league spring training. … More »

      AP - Sports - 1 hour 20 minutes ago
    • Valbuena joins Angels for $15M, 2 years

      Valbuena joins Angels for $15M, 2 years

      ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Infielder Luis Valbuena and the Los Angeles Angels have completed a $15 million, two-year contract. … More »

      AP - Sports - 2 hours 1 minute ago
    • Arizona adds another catcher with Thole

      PHOENIX (AP) -- A person close to the situation has confirmed that the Arizona Diamondbacks have agreed to a one-year minor league contract with catcher Josh Thole. … More »

      AP - Sports - 2 hours 42 minutes ago
    • Phils deal reliever Gonazalez to Marlins

      MIAMI (AP) -- Right-hander Severino Gonzalez has been acquired by the Miami Marlins from the Philadelphia Phillies for a player to be named or cash. … More »

      AP - Sports - 2 hours 45 minutes ago