Hulu’s TV adaptation of Sarah J. Maas’s romantasy book series “A Court of Thorns and Roses” has not been scrapped — yet. A Monday report said it is not moving forward at the streamer, and indeed its longterm fate at the streamer appears to be extremely murky.
TVLine reported the news that the “A Court of Thorns and Roses” TV series is no longer in the works at Hulu and that it was also not being shopped to other platforms. Variety‘s earlier story reported the series as scrapped based on initial remarks from sources, but Variety has now been told that technically the show is still in development at Hulu. But that’s semantics, as it is believed to no longer be in active development — which means it’s unclear what the fate of the project will be. (In its current form, the show isn’t being shopped elsewhere. But that doesn’t mean the property owners might take “ACOTAR” elsewhere, should it eventually be scrapped at Hulu.)
More from Variety
The “ACOTAR” (as it’s known to fans) project has been in the development stage at the Disney-owned streamer since March 2021. It is produced by 20th Television, which is also owned by Disney. Not many updates have been given on the show since, with both the writers and actors strikes of summer 2023 putting a pause on almost all scripted production and development.
Maas partnered on the “ACOTAR” series scripts alongside “Outlander” creator Ronald D. Moore.
The most recent “ACOTAR” TV series news came last week when Hulu chief Craig Erwich told reporters at the Television Critics Assn. press tour, “That show has been in development, but I don’t have any news to share today,” in response to a journalist asking for a status report on the potential show, and if Maas was still involved in the project.
Representatives for Hulu, 20th and Maas did not immediately respond to request for comment on the status of the “ACOTAR” TV series.
Best of Variety