'If I could do it again, I would': Keith regrets sitting out Blackhawks investigation

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

EDMONTON — Former Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith says he should have agreed to be interviewed for an investigation into how the team handled allegations of sexual assault levied by a prospect against a former assistant coach.

The veteran defenceman says he received a call about a potential interview on the day the Blackhawks traded him to the Edmonton Oilers last summer, and while he was excited about the move, there were a lot of emotions surrounding the trade.

Keith says he felt at the time that he didn't have anything to offer the investigation, but now believes he should have sat for the interview.

The NHL released a critical report last week into how the Blackhawks handled sexual assault allegations Kyle Beach made against former video coach Brad Aldrich during the team's run to the Stanley Cup in 2010.

Beach took part in an emotional interview with TSN's Rick Westhead on Wednesday where he revealed himself as the "John Doe" initially named in the report.

Keith says he watched the interview and admires the courage Beach has shown in speaking out about his experience.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 1, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting