What's buzzing:

Bears terminate Peppers' contract

AP - Sports
Bears terminate Peppers' contract
.

View gallery

Chicago Bears defensive end Julius Peppers walks off the field after an NFL football game against the …

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) -- The Chicago Bears released eight-time Pro Bowl defensive end Julius Peppers on Tuesday, one of several moves they made to reshape their struggling defense.

The Bears also agreed to a five-year contract with former Oakland Raiders defensive end Lamarr Houston, a two-year contract with former Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants safety Ryan Mundy, and one-year deals with linebackers Jordan Senn and D.J. Williams.

But the biggest move as they tried to shore up a defense that got shredded by injuries and ranked among the league's worst last season involved Peppers. Given the way he struggled last season and the fact that his salary cap hit for next season was for more than $18 million, the Bears were expected to let him go or restructure his contract.

''We appreciate Julius' contributions to the Bears over the last four years,'' general manager Phil Emery said in a statement. ''He was a leader on our defense starting every game since coming to Chicago. His accomplishments over his NFL career place him among the best defensive ends over the past 20 years. The Chicagoland community has benefited greatly from his quiet generosity. We wish him the best.''

Peppers is the second high-profile player to part ways with the Bears this offseason, joining record returner Devin Hester. Those moves come after they split with Brian Urlacher following the 2012 season.

Peppers, who turned 34 in January, finished with just seven sacks, his lowest total in four seasons with Chicago and the fewest for him since he had a career-low 2 1/2 with Carolina in 2007. Three times last year he failed to register a tackle, and the Bears' defense ranked among the worst in the NFL.

But Peppers has been one of the best at his position during his career.

In his 12 seasons with Carolina (2002-2009) and Chicago (2010-13), he ranks second in the NFL with 118 1/2 sacks. He has nine interceptions - the most by a defensive lineman since 2002 - and his 39 career forced fumbles are fifth most in the league during that time. On special teams, Peppers has 11 blocked kicks during his career.

With the Bears, Peppers had 38 sacks along with three interceptions, nine forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries. But he was inconsistent last season. At times, he showed that old burst. Too often, he was a nonfactor.

The defense, overall, was a mess for the Bears last season because of injuries and poor execution.

Williams, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman, and Henry Melton missed big chunks of the season. Nickel back Kelvin Hayden and defensive tackle Nate Collins also suffered season-ending injuries. And the Bears couldn't stop the run or get to the quarterback.

Chicago allowed a league-high 5.3 yards per carry, half a yard more than any other team, and tied Jacksonville with an NFL-worst with 31 sacks.

Houston started all 16 games last season for Oakland and was one of the few playmakers on a 4-12 team. He led the Raiders with a career-high six sacks and got 16 in four seasons with them.

Mundy made a career-high nine starts with the Giants last season after spending his first four with Pittsburgh. He had 70 tackles and a 91-yard interception return along with two pass breakups and a fumble recovery. He also had seven special teams stops.

Senn has appeared in 83 games with seven starts over six seasons with Indianapolis (2008-09) and Carolina (2009-13). He was primarily a special-teams player last season.

Williams appeared in six games and made four starts at middle linebacker last season after signing a one-year deal with Chicago. A ruptured pectoral muscle tendon cut short his season.

---

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org

View Comments (40)
  • Zika no threat to Rio Games, German Olympic doctor says

    Zika no threat to Rio Games, German Olympic doctor says

    The spread of the Zika virus in Brazil needs to be monitored but is not a threat to the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, Germany's chief Olympic doctor said on Wednesday. The German Olympic Sports Confederation's leading doctor, Bernd Wolfarth, told … More »

    Reuters - 4 minutes 53 seconds ago
  • World Cup winner Hoewedes commits future to Schalke

    World Cup winner Hoewedes commits future to Schalke

    Schalke 04 captain Benedikt Hoewedes said he would not play for another club in Germany after signing a three-year contract extension until 2020 on Wednesday. The 2014 World Cup winner with Germany has been at Schalke since 2001 and cannot envisage … More »

    Reuters - 6 minutes ago
  • Stones and Howard ready for Everton return

    Stones and Howard ready for Everton return

    (Reuters) - Everton's John Stones and Tim Howard are on the verge of returning from injury and are in contention for Saturday's Premier League clash against West Bromwich Albion, manager Roberto Martinez said. Defender Stones and goalkeeper Howard, … More »

    Reuters - 15 minutes ago
  • Mido fired by Zamalek after they lose derby to Al Ahli

    Former Egypt international striker Mido has been fired by Zamalek little more than a month after he took charge of the Cairo giants for the second time. Mido, whose playing career took him to clubs in England, France, Italy and Spain, was dismissed … More »

    Reuters - 42 minutes ago
  • Manor F1 team signs Mercedes reserve Wehrlein

    "We’re a small team up for a big challenge... so we’ve chosen a driver with the talent and hunger to match our own on-track ambitions," said owner Stephen Fitzpatrick in a statement. "Pascal has impressed in testing for Mercedes and Force India, … More »

    Reuters - 52 minutes ago