Seton Hall beats South Florida 55-47, halts skidWednesday, Jan 23, 2013
The victory snapped a four-game losing streak for the Pirates (13-6, 2-4 Big East). The Bulls (10-8, 1-5) lost for the fifth time in six games.
Mobley, who returned to action after missing one game with a separated shoulder, scored eight of his points in the second half to hold off any possible South Florida run. The Bulls twice got to within six in the second half.
South Florida was paced by Jawanza Poland, who scored 13, and Toarlyn Fitzpatrick, who had 10 points.
The Pirates never trailed, scoring the first five points and pushing their lead to double digits twice, the latest being 29-19 with 43 seconds left in the half.
Poland’s long 3-pointer at the buzzer sliced the lead to 29-22 at the half.
The first half was played at a slow, methodical pace.
After the Pirates led 5-0, then later 12-4 on a layup by Edwin, the Bulls crawled back to trail 14-13 after a layup by Zach LeDay with 10:46 left in the first half.
But the Pirates went on a 9-0 run for a 23-13 lead with 6:01 remaining in the half. Teague had six of the nine Seton Hall points during that stretch.
South Florida scored the first six points of the second half to slice the lead to 29-28 with 16:10 left on a power move from Martino Brock.
But Edwin scored the next five points, a 3-pointer and two free throws, to push the lead back to 34-28 with 15:10 remaining.
Mobley, who missed the Marquette game last week as a result of his separated shoulder, had two power dunks that gave the Pirates a 38-32 lead with 12:40 left.
Brian Oliver, who also just returned to action after missing five games with a sprained ankle, canned a 3-pointer from beyond the top of the key to push the Pirates’ lead to 41-32 with 11 minutes remaining.
Mobley added another power move down low, giving the Pirates their largest lead at 45-34 with 9:40 left.
Edwin had 10 rebounds. Seton Hall held South Florida to 33.9 percent shooting (19 of 56) and 15.8 percent (3 of 19) from 3-point range.
- 5 takeaways from the Week 13 College Football Playoff rankings
- NFL Power Rankings: The Kansas City Chiefs have good shot at history
- Messi, Barcelona continue to entertain with 6-1 rout of Roma (Video)
- Report: MLB could play a series of games in London as early as 2017
- Jays fans launch website in attempt to keep David Price in Toronto
- Oklahoma, Iowa jump into Top 4 of CFP rankings
- Troy Williams' mom is not happy with Indiana coach Tom Crean
- LeBron James is really leaning into this mustache thing
- Johnny Manziel's partying, lack of professionalism jeopardize his career
- LeBron James thinks we should compare great players less, appreciate them more
- Getting older but not fading away: NBA's top stars going extra mile to hold off Father Time
- Some kind 76ers fans are crowd-funding gifts for Brett Brown
- Baseball's five best free-agent bargains of 2015
- Pau Gasol and Joakim Noah are still trying to find their place on the Bulls
- Civilian review board: NYPD had no right to arrest Thabo Sefolosha