St. John’s (12-7, 4-3 Big East), avenging a two-point loss to the Scarlet Knights on Jan. 9, got 20 points from D’Angelo Harrison and 13 from Sir’Dominic Pointer.
Myles Mack led Rutgers (12-6, 3-4) with 17 points, while Mike Poole had 11 and Wally Judge 10.
Sampson scored 13 second-half points as the Red Storm expanded on a one-point halftime lead. Trailing 28-21, St. John’s scored eight straight to close the first half and extended the run to 17 after intermission to open a 38-28 advantage.
Rutgers responded with seven straight to pull within three, but five straight points from Sampson put St. John’s up 43-35. The Red Storm maintained a comfortable edge from that point and opened its largest lead at 72-57.
St. John’s, which has won its last three road games, shot 59.1 percent (13 for 22) in the second half and 45.3 percent (24 for 53) for the game. Pointer had nine rebounds, seven assists, six steals and two blocked shots.
Eli Carter, Rutgers’ leading scorer with a 16.2 average entering the game, had two points and shot 1 for 14, making him 4 for 28 against the Red Storm this year. The Scarlet Knights shot 36.5 percent (23 for 63) with 17 turnovers in losing for the third time in four games.
Rutgers went ahead 6-0 and led for most of the first half, opening its largest advantage at 20-12. Sampson, who told New York reporters earlier in the week that St. John’s was the better team the first time the two met, then scored five points in the Red Storm’s closing run of the half, and St. John’s would lead for the remainder of the game.
- Chinese sprinter Ning edges favorites in 100-free heats
- Indians-Angels Preview
- Pearson clearing hurdles on long road back to top
- Welington Castillo ate Beef Wellington for the first time, because why not?
- Bills coach Rex Ryan: Ronda Rousey 'might be the baddest person on the planet'
- Robin Ventura lost a fight 22 years ago, but he won some respect
- It's Floyd Mayweather's show and he's going to do what he wants
- Hall of Fame profile: Raiders WR Tim Brown
- Urshela's 12th-inning HR gives Indians 2-0 win over Angels
- Free diver Natalia Molchanova remains missing off Spain
- Is Chip Kelly a racist? Nick Foles weighs in on his former head coach
- Why Dave Dombrowski deserves to get paid more like a player than a typical GM
- In appeal testimony, Tom Brady maintained complete innocence
- NHL deal with MLB Advanced Media pushes hockey tech to the future
- Joe Flacco brushes off revolving door of Ravens offensive coordinators
- Rapid React: Arian Foster injures groin, Captain Obvious says "Told you so!"