St. John’s (12-7, 4-3 Big East), avenging a two-point loss to the Scarlet Knights on Jan. 9, got 20 points from D’Angelo Harrison and 13 from Sir’Dominic Pointer.
Myles Mack led Rutgers (12-6, 3-4) with 17 points, while Mike Poole had 11 and Wally Judge 10.
Sampson scored 13 second-half points as the Red Storm expanded on a one-point halftime lead. Trailing 28-21, St. John’s scored eight straight to close the first half and extended the run to 17 after intermission to open a 38-28 advantage.
Rutgers responded with seven straight to pull within three, but five straight points from Sampson put St. John’s up 43-35. The Red Storm maintained a comfortable edge from that point and opened its largest lead at 72-57.
St. John’s, which has won its last three road games, shot 59.1 percent (13 for 22) in the second half and 45.3 percent (24 for 53) for the game. Pointer had nine rebounds, seven assists, six steals and two blocked shots.
Eli Carter, Rutgers’ leading scorer with a 16.2 average entering the game, had two points and shot 1 for 14, making him 4 for 28 against the Red Storm this year. The Scarlet Knights shot 36.5 percent (23 for 63) with 17 turnovers in losing for the third time in four games.
Rutgers went ahead 6-0 and led for most of the first half, opening its largest advantage at 20-12. Sampson, who told New York reporters earlier in the week that St. John’s was the better team the first time the two met, then scored five points in the Red Storm’s closing run of the half, and St. John’s would lead for the remainder of the game.
- The most awful beautiful swing helped the Royals even their series with the Astros
- NLDS Game 1: John Lackey silences Cubs bats as Cardinals win 4-0
- ALDS Game 2: Rangers take 2-0 lead after controversial 14-inning win
- Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch ruled out for Sunday's game at Bengals
- Prince Fielder celebrates Rangers ALDS win by tumbling out of the dugout
- BDL's 2015-16 NBA Season Previews: Washington Wizards
- BDL’s 2015-16 NBA Season Previews: Sacramento Kings
- UCLA P Adam Searl suspended after arrest for sexual assault
- Controversial call indicative of Blue Jays' Game 2 loss, it was a matter of inches
- ALDS Game 2: Royals rally after early deficit, even series with the Astros
- Colby Rasmus continues postseason tear with third homer in three games
- Shannon Sharpe rips Antonio Gates over PED suspension
- Marshall DL Jarquez Samuel swan dives into end zone for TD (Video)
- Baylor, TCU ADs address recent vandalism on both campuses (Photos)
- Cardinals fan taunts the Cubs with 'Mount Chokemore' painting
- Chicago bar giving out free beer when Cardinals hit a home run against Cubs