D’Angelo Harrison added 15 points and Sir’Dominic Pointer had 14 for the Red Storm (11-7, 3-3 Big East), who have won seven straight against DePaul.
Jamee Crockett scored 19 points for DePaul (10-8, 1-4), which has lost three in a row and five of its last six. St. John’s last game was a 67-63 upset of No. 20 Notre Dame on Tuesday.
St. John’s gained control early in the second half. DePaul took the lead at 39-37 but the Red Storm responded with a 10-0 run. JaKarr Sampson later scored after a steal to give St. John’s a 56-46 lead with 10:31 remaining.
Moses Morgan hit a 3-pointer to cut St. John’s lead to 65-62 with 2:25 left, but Harrison made five free throws in the final 2:04 for the Red Storm.
- New hope, same Michigan: Jim Harbaugh's debut shows rebuild may take a while
- TCU escapes Minnesota 23-17 in tough season opener
- Detroit shortstop Jose Iglesias injures hand while attempting to bunt
- Czech-mate: Wozniacki knocked out in second round; Federer, Murray advance
- Report: Baylor DE Shawn Oakman and S Orion Stewart suspended for opener
- Arizona star LB Scooby Wright leaves game with apparent knee injury
- Lleyton Hewitt fought to the bitter end at U.S. Open
- UConn's Tommy Myers makes juggling catch for touchdown (GIF)
- No bullpen controversy here: The Nats win a 15-1 romp over Braves
- Bryce Harper's bizarre night: four runs, zero swings and a little bit of history
- NFL Preseason Blitz: Kiko Alonso, another big Eagles addition, debuts
- Utah tops Michigan 24-17, spoiling Jim Harbaugh's debut
- UFO at the U.S. Open? Not quite
- Tim Tebow might just have locked up spot on Eagles' 53-man roster
- Skai Moore's two interceptions help South Carolina beat North Carolina
- Pass or Fail: New York Islanders leaked black and white alternate jersey