Marquette beats Connecticut 82-76 in overtimeBy ERIK BROOKS, Associated Press Tuesday, Jan 1, 2013
MILWAUKEE (AP)—Junior Cadougan scored 18 points—including a buzzer-beating, tying 3-pointer at the end of regulation—to lead Marquette to a 82-76 overtime win over Connecticut Tuesday night in the Big East Conference opener for both teams.
Davante Gardner added 18 points off the bench for the Golden Eagles (10-3). Vander Blue scored 13 points as Marquette won its 17th in a row at home.
Shabazz Napier tied his career high with 29 points and had eight rebounds for Connecticut (10-3, 0-1). Ryan Boatright added 16 for the Huskies.
Cadougan’s 3-pointer was the Golden Eagles’ first of the night after missing their first 14 from behind the arc.
The game was the first for Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie since he received a five-year, nearly $7 million contract extension on Saturday. Marquette was without head coach Buzz Williams, serving a one-game suspension for NCAA recruiting rules violations announced in August. Assistant Brad Autry filled in.
- Swiss say US has filed formal request to extradite 7 FIFA officials arrested in May
- Japan celebrates return to Women's World Cup final
- Joey Butler spoils Carlos Carrasco's no-hit bid with two outs in ninth
- Stoppage time own goal sinks England against Japan in World Cup semi
- Report: Paul Millsap returns to Hawks for three years, $58 million
- Sources: Iman Shumpert agrees to $40 million contract with Cavaliers
- On Phil Kessel, Jim Rutherford and silencing the haters
- CoCo Vandeweghe calls Carmelo Anthony 'soft'
- Padres-Cardinals Preview
- Quintana paces White Sox to 7-1 win over Cardinals
- Paul Pierce gives Clippers another scoring option, championship pedigree
- Winners & Losers on Day 1 of NHL Free Agency
- Matt Beleskey takes surprisingly reasonable five year, $19-million deal with Bruins
- Angels name Bill Stoneman interim general manager
- The Lakers lost out on LaMarcus Aldridge by being the Lakers
- 2015 NBA free-agency tracker