ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP)—Cully Payne scored 24 points to lead Loyola of Chicago to a 69-61 victory over crosstown rival DePaul on Saturday.
Christian Thomas added 12 points and 10 rebounds for Loyola (9-3) in the Ramblers’ first victory over DePaul since 1989, and only the second for Loyola on DePaul’s home court in 21 meetings.
The Ramblers, who had lost 11 straight to DePaul in the series, won their third straight game and seventh in the last eight, while stopping DePaul’s seven-game winning streak. The Blue Demons dropped to 9-4.
After forcing seven ties in the first half, the Ramblers took the lead for the first time on Payne’s 3-point shot with 17:15 left. After a pair of lead changes, the Ramblers went on a 12-1 run highlighted by 3-pointers by Payne and Jordan Hicks.
Brandon Young led DePaul with 18 points. Worrell Clahar added 10 for the Blue Demons.
- Snapped pole impales Michigan student near eye at track meet
- Chargers to begin stadium negotiations with city, county
- LaRoche gets winning hit, White Sox beat Blue Jays 5-3
- Bears chairman George McCaskey addresses Ray McDonald situation
- Four teams banned from 2015-16 postseason for low APR scores
- Bryce Harper gets angry after long fly out ... no, wait, that's a homer
- Indians shave their heads in support of Mike Aviles' daughter
- DeSean Jackson attends Cavs game on first day of Redskins OTAs (Photos)
- THE LATEST: Former FIFA vice president Warner surrenders
- Antonio Smith absent from Broncos OTAs amid criminal probe
- Lightning and Rangers headed to Game 7 in wild series
- Cardinals lead the way in first NL All-Star balloting update
- Vikings coach Mike Zimmer tells Adrian Peterson what his two choices are
- NFL pass rusher has unusual hobby: Competing in dog shows
- Only surprise of corrupt, exploitative FIFA is that more weren’t indicted
- Looking ahead to Game 5: Rockets at Warriors