ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP)—Cully Payne scored 24 points to lead Loyola of Chicago to a 69-61 victory over crosstown rival DePaul on Saturday.
Christian Thomas added 12 points and 10 rebounds for Loyola (9-3) in the Ramblers’ first victory over DePaul since 1989, and only the second for Loyola on DePaul’s home court in 21 meetings.
The Ramblers, who had lost 11 straight to DePaul in the series, won their third straight game and seventh in the last eight, while stopping DePaul’s seven-game winning streak. The Blue Demons dropped to 9-4.
After forcing seven ties in the first half, the Ramblers took the lead for the first time on Payne’s 3-point shot with 17:15 left. After a pair of lead changes, the Ramblers went on a 12-1 run highlighted by 3-pointers by Payne and Jordan Hicks.
Brandon Young led DePaul with 18 points. Worrell Clahar added 10 for the Blue Demons.
- Rangers put Scheppers on DL, recall Klein
- Maine man hires plane to fly banner protesting Brady ruling
- Pryor earning praise in transition to wide receiver
- Hall of Fame profile: Kansas City Chiefs G Will Shields
- Cech shines for Arsenal in Community Shield as Wenger finally beats Mourinho
- Daily Dime: Jaime Garcia, Ryan Howard, Jay Bruce, Eddie Rosario
- Puck Daddy's Summer Series: The Arizona Coyotes from A to Z
- No. 24 Boise State: The Broncos are poised for an undefeated season
- Qiu beats Boudia to world diving gold
- Katie Ledecky starts with easy win in 400 freestyle
- Maple Leafs, Bernier agree to 2-year, $8.3 million deal
- NFL officials supervisor on footballs: 'They could have a slow leak'
- Cole Hamels thanks Philadelphia with full-page ad
- Maple Leafs re-sign Jonathan Bernier for two years, $8.3M; avoid arb ruling
- Shutdown Corner: Well-rounded Ravens always a Super Bowl threat
- Ronda Rousey KOs Bethe Correia in 34 seconds at UFC 190 title bout