ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP)—Cully Payne scored 24 points to lead Loyola of Chicago to a 69-61 victory over crosstown rival DePaul on Saturday.
Christian Thomas added 12 points and 10 rebounds for Loyola (9-3) in the Ramblers’ first victory over DePaul since 1989, and only the second for Loyola on DePaul’s home court in 21 meetings.
The Ramblers, who had lost 11 straight to DePaul in the series, won their third straight game and seventh in the last eight, while stopping DePaul’s seven-game winning streak. The Blue Demons dropped to 9-4.
After forcing seven ties in the first half, the Ramblers took the lead for the first time on Payne’s 3-point shot with 17:15 left. After a pair of lead changes, the Ramblers went on a 12-1 run highlighted by 3-pointers by Payne and Jordan Hicks.
Brandon Young led DePaul with 18 points. Worrell Clahar added 10 for the Blue Demons.
- Colby Rasmus punctuates AL wild-card homer with a fun bat flip
- Who is Jessica Mendoza? ESPN's budding baseball broadcasting star
- Ronda Rousey's younger sister stars as Rousey in top-notch UFC 193 promo
- Kurt Rambis says Kristaps Porzingis is a combo of Pau and Dirk
- What will happen in the MLB wild-card games? Here are our predictions
- Ichiro Suzuki re-signs with Marlins, continues pursuit of 3,000 MLB hits
- Obituary of lifelong Yankees fan notes 85-year-old had no love for A-Rod
- When push comes to shove, Detroit Lions just fine getting shoved
- 10 hard truths entering Week 5
- Yankees bench $153 million man Jacoby Ellsbury for AL wild-card game
- NL wild card preview: Either the Cubs or the Pirates are going home early
- Greg Cosell's Week 4 review: Cowboys' mistakes cost them in OT loss
- LeBron James is back to wearing No. 6 in practice, as Miami awaits his return
- Pickups of the Week: Ronnie Hillman, Jay Cutler, Willie Snead and other priority adds