ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP)—Cully Payne scored 24 points to lead Loyola of Chicago to a 69-61 victory over crosstown rival DePaul on Saturday.
Christian Thomas added 12 points and 10 rebounds for Loyola (9-3) in the Ramblers’ first victory over DePaul since 1989, and only the second for Loyola on DePaul’s home court in 21 meetings.
The Ramblers, who had lost 11 straight to DePaul in the series, won their third straight game and seventh in the last eight, while stopping DePaul’s seven-game winning streak. The Blue Demons dropped to 9-4.
After forcing seven ties in the first half, the Ramblers took the lead for the first time on Payne’s 3-point shot with 17:15 left. After a pair of lead changes, the Ramblers went on a 12-1 run highlighted by 3-pointers by Payne and Jordan Hicks.
Brandon Young led DePaul with 18 points. Worrell Clahar added 10 for the Blue Demons.
- Clayton Kershaw's 132-pitch masterpiece closes out Dodgers' sweep of Giants
- Wetzel to Forde podcast: Dissecting college football's opening weekend
- Seahawks' Frank Clark in group of 5 high-risk rookies showing promise as preseason nears end
- Djokovic dances with a fan on court after win
- Chris Davis' walk-off home run wakes up sleeping fan at Orioles Park
- Foul ball comes to eat, destroys Rangers fan's nachos
- Wife of Redskins GM apologizes for inappropriate tweets about ESPN reporter
- Ruben Tejada gets inside-the-park homer after Domonic Brown tumbles over wall
- Crazy Legs Gardner: Yankees affiliate unveils Brett Gardner bobble-leg doll
- Penguins 'racist' locker room prank revealed in Jarkko Ruutu’s book
- Clayton Kershaw goes the distance as Dodgers finish sweep of Giants
- No rest for the best: Serena practiced after her second-round win
- Report: Cardale Jones 'good' after being taken to hospital for headache
- Don't expect to see any veterans do mid-match interviews
- Rafa, Venus survive second round
- Cam Newton's little brother might be a big deal