ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP)—Cully Payne scored 24 points to lead Loyola of Chicago to a 69-61 victory over crosstown rival DePaul on Saturday.
Christian Thomas added 12 points and 10 rebounds for Loyola (9-3) in the Ramblers’ first victory over DePaul since 1989, and only the second for Loyola on DePaul’s home court in 21 meetings.
The Ramblers, who had lost 11 straight to DePaul in the series, won their third straight game and seventh in the last eight, while stopping DePaul’s seven-game winning streak. The Blue Demons dropped to 9-4.
After forcing seven ties in the first half, the Ramblers took the lead for the first time on Payne’s 3-point shot with 17:15 left. After a pair of lead changes, the Ramblers went on a 12-1 run highlighted by 3-pointers by Payne and Jordan Hicks.
Brandon Young led DePaul with 18 points. Worrell Clahar added 10 for the Blue Demons.
- Frightening Daytona wreck puts NASCAR safety in spotlight
- South Carolina the new No. 1 in women's hoops attendance
- Rookie Emmanuel Mudiay turning heads in practice
- Sources: Marc Gasol agrees to $110 million deal with Grizzlies
- Abby Wambach unsure of her Olympic future with USWNT
- Serena cruises by Venus to reach quarterfinals at Wimbledon
- Rory McIlroy tears ankle ligament; Open Championship in doubt
- Carli Lloyd's goal for the ages defined USWNT's championship belief
- AP source: Barea sticking with Mavs after return last season
- Athletics-Yankees Preview
- Bryce Harper says he will not participate in the Home Run Derby
- Manu Ginobili announces he's coming back, as Spurs' strong summer continues
- Two large crashes mar Tour, put Stage 3 on hold
- Mad Dash: NBA player blames iPhone for odd, season-altering injury
- Earnhardt Jr. wins at Daytona in front of Dillon's vicious crash
- 10 Degrees: First-half awards feature Max Scherzer as king of the hill