Melvin, a Baltimore native, reached double digits in scoring for the 26th consecutive game. He added eight rebounds.
The winning streak marks the longest for DePaul (9-3) since the Blue Demons won nine straight during the 1993-94 season.
For much of the second half, DePaul held a double-digit lead until six straight points by the Retrievers (2-10) cut the lead to four with 11 minutes to play. DePaul’s Moses Morgan then hit a jumper in the lane and added a free throw for a three-point play.
Jamee Crockett stole the ball and Brandon Young made two free throws, and Young found Melvin for an alley-oop to stretch the lead back to 11.
Aaron Morgan led UMBC with 15 points.
- NFL Winners and Losers: Overrated Arizona Cardinals back to earth
- Forde's Fab Four: Where merit means more than school name
- San Diego chooses not to retain interim manager Pat Murphy
- LeBron James hopes to soon end the Tristan Thompson contract 'distraction'
- Andrew Shaw attempts Chicago Bears field goal, launches shoe (Video)
- Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin dominate as Rams upset Cardinals
- Harvick advances in Chase with Dover win; Johnson eliminated
- Cam Newton expected to do too much with too little in Panthers' offense
- DeMarco Murray doesn't think Chip Kelly is giving him enough touches
- How the West was won: Rangers clinch division, Astros claim wild card
- How bad are Bucs? Panthers DB says he planned celebration before pick-6 of Jameis Winston
- The MLB postseason field is set! Here's the schedule for the opening rounds
- A Packers player told Colin Kaepernick what everybody already knew