Melvin, a Baltimore native, reached double digits in scoring for the 26th consecutive game. He added eight rebounds.
The winning streak marks the longest for DePaul (9-3) since the Blue Demons won nine straight during the 1993-94 season.
For much of the second half, DePaul held a double-digit lead until six straight points by the Retrievers (2-10) cut the lead to four with 11 minutes to play. DePaul’s Moses Morgan then hit a jumper in the lane and added a free throw for a three-point play.
Jamee Crockett stole the ball and Brandon Young made two free throws, and Young found Melvin for an alley-oop to stretch the lead back to 11.
Aaron Morgan led UMBC with 15 points.
- Statement released by Tom Brady
- Platini, romantic or pragmatist?
- Tom Brady blasts NFL decision to uphold his suspension
- How NBA champ Festus Ezeli fell into basketball after emigrating from Nigeria at 14
- Eric Berry, diagnosed with cancer last year, cleared to practice with Chiefs
- Angels revamp OF depth by acquiring David Murphy and David DeJesus
- Sources: Nationals land closer Jonathan Papelbon
- Patriots and Tom Brady's agent not happy with Roger Goodell
- Tom Brady: 'I did nothing wrong' in Deflategate
- Platini announces FIFA presidency bid
- Yahoo Sports' trade deadline tracker: Follow the latest MLB news and rumors
- Mookie Betts' non-catch gives Jose Abreu one of the strangest homers
- LeBron James on how long he'd last against Ronda Rousey: 'As long as she wanted me to last'
- Le'Veon Bell's suspension reduced from three games to two
- How Tom Brady can fight (and overturn) his suspension in court
- Tom Brady's destroyed cell phone is smoking gun that crushed the Patriots superstar