Melvin, a Baltimore native, reached double digits in scoring for the 26th consecutive game. He added eight rebounds.
The winning streak marks the longest for DePaul (9-3) since the Blue Demons won nine straight during the 1993-94 season.
For much of the second half, DePaul held a double-digit lead until six straight points by the Retrievers (2-10) cut the lead to four with 11 minutes to play. DePaul’s Moses Morgan then hit a jumper in the lane and added a free throw for a three-point play.
Jamee Crockett stole the ball and Brandon Young made two free throws, and Young found Melvin for an alley-oop to stretch the lead back to 11.
Aaron Morgan led UMBC with 15 points.
- Heroics and heartbreak: Stanford delivers in clutch to dash Notre Dame's playoff hopes
- Stanford shocks Notre Dame on last-second field goal
- Report: Iowa State hires Toledo's Matt Campbell
- Oklahoma claims Big 12 title and probable CFP spot with win against Oklahoma State
- Tyson Fury ends Wladimir Klitschko's 11-year unbeaten streak, celebrates by singing Aerosmith
- Michigan State destroys Penn State, sets up date with Iowa for Big Ten title
- USC clinches Pac-12 South title with 40-21 win against UCLA
- Report: Gun pulled on 76ers' Jahlil Okafor in October incident in Philadelphia
- Winners and Losers: There are six teams left vying for four CFP spots
- LSU beats Texas A&M; LSU AD says Les Miles will continue to be coach
- Why this win over Michigan meant so much to Ohio State's Urban Meyer
- Patrick Kane sets NHL record with points in 19 straight games
- Alabama outlasts Auburn in strange, kick-heavy Iron Bowl
- Report: Byung-Ho Park traveling to U.S., deal expected with Twins
- John Tortorella blasts Penguins: ‘Pittsburgh whines enough for whole league’