Melvin, a Baltimore native, reached double digits in scoring for the 26th consecutive game. He added eight rebounds.
The winning streak marks the longest for DePaul (9-3) since the Blue Demons won nine straight during the 1993-94 season.
For much of the second half, DePaul held a double-digit lead until six straight points by the Retrievers (2-10) cut the lead to four with 11 minutes to play. DePaul’s Moses Morgan then hit a jumper in the lane and added a free throw for a three-point play.
Jamee Crockett stole the ball and Brandon Young made two free throws, and Young found Melvin for an alley-oop to stretch the lead back to 11.
Aaron Morgan led UMBC with 15 points.
- Titans QB Marcus Mariota impresses again in third preseason game
- Patriots' offense and Tom Brady rally a bit after slow start to preseason
- Fantasy Football Ranks: Preseason '15
- On second thought, Robert Griffin III will sit out with concussion
- LSU OC Cam Cameron given 'clean bill of health' after cancer diagnosis
- Devin Setoguchi comes to Maple Leafs with right attitude after 'wrong turn'
- Why is Major League Baseball waiting to address fan safety?
- Perry Hills named starting quarterback at Maryland
- Nationals nix Jayson Werth bobblehead, were not satisfied with finished product
- Mario Hezonja lights up EuroBasket tune-up, daps opposing coach
- Tim Beckman: 'I will vigorously defend both my reputation and my legal rights'
- Fan suing Red Sox after suffering injuries from foul ball
- Pavel Medvedev scores nasty ‘lacrosse’ goal in KHL (Video)
- Ronda Rousey hawking sugary breakfast sandwich in new Carl's Jr. ad
- Oregon names Vernon Adams its Week 1 starting QB