Mitchell leads Virginia past Morgan St., 75-57By HANK KURZ Jr., AP Sports Writer Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP)—Akil Mitchell had 15 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists and Virginia overcame sloppy play to beat Morgan State 75-57 on Wednesday night, the Cavaliers’ eighth consecutive victory.
Darion Atkins added a career-high 17 points and Joe Harris scored 14 for Virginia (9-2).
Virginia led 43-34 when two baskets by Atkins sparked a 12-2 run early in the second half. With Jackson carrying the Bears, they closed within 59-50 with 6:54 to play before Virginia surged again.
A three-point play by Evan Nolte started another 12-2 run for Virginia, and they cruised from there.
Paul Jesperson hit his third 3-pointer of the night in the burst and scored a career-high 11 for the Cavaliers, who overcame nine second-half turnovers. They also outrebounded the Bears 39-21.
Virginia led 14-8 until the Bears went on a Jackson-led, 13-4 run. The senior scored 10 of the points, and hit two of his three first-half 3-pointers in the burst that gave Morgan State a 21-18 lead.
Virginia answered quickly, taking control back with a 15-0 spurt. Paul Jesperson hit back-to-back 3-pointers to start it, and freshman Justin Anderson capped with a 3 from deep on the right wing.
Jackson’s 19-point first half was the highest scoring first half for an opponent in John Paul Jones Arena history. Four players have scored 17 players in a first half at the arena, which opened in 2006.
Follow Hank on twitter at: https://twitter.com/hankkurzjr
- Marek Vs. Wyshynski Podcast: Islanders architect Bill Torrey on Al Arbour
- Yahoo Fantasy Freak Show Podcast
- Coastal Carolina officially joins the Sun Belt (Update)
- Five teams have called Blackhawks about trading for Patrick Kane: Report
- John Harbaugh knows plenty of words that start with F
- Tennessee DE Andrew Butcher arrested for public intoxication
- Tuesdays with Brownie: Yes, the great Vin Scully ‘rages’ on
- Ex-USC LB Morgan Breslin sues school over disability insurance
- Freshman WR packs up and leaves SDSU without telling coaches
- Power rankings: Deutsche Bank Championship
- Winnipeg Jets: Puck Daddy’s 2015-16 NHL Season Preview
- Marshawn Lynch randomly appears on Evine Live to sell Skittles
- Here to stay: MLB rookies set record for most home runs in a month
- Vince Wilfork's fashion statement of overalls with no shirt is spectacular
- Report: George O'Leary wants to become UCF's full-time AD