Mitchell leads Virginia past Morgan St., 75-57By HANK KURZ Jr., AP Sports Writer Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP)—Akil Mitchell had 15 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists and Virginia overcame sloppy play to beat Morgan State 75-57 on Wednesday night, the Cavaliers’ eighth consecutive victory.
Darion Atkins added a career-high 17 points and Joe Harris scored 14 for Virginia (9-2).
Virginia led 43-34 when two baskets by Atkins sparked a 12-2 run early in the second half. With Jackson carrying the Bears, they closed within 59-50 with 6:54 to play before Virginia surged again.
A three-point play by Evan Nolte started another 12-2 run for Virginia, and they cruised from there.
Paul Jesperson hit his third 3-pointer of the night in the burst and scored a career-high 11 for the Cavaliers, who overcame nine second-half turnovers. They also outrebounded the Bears 39-21.
Virginia led 14-8 until the Bears went on a Jackson-led, 13-4 run. The senior scored 10 of the points, and hit two of his three first-half 3-pointers in the burst that gave Morgan State a 21-18 lead.
Virginia answered quickly, taking control back with a 15-0 spurt. Paul Jesperson hit back-to-back 3-pointers to start it, and freshman Justin Anderson capped with a 3 from deep on the right wing.
Jackson’s 19-point first half was the highest scoring first half for an opponent in John Paul Jones Arena history. Four players have scored 17 players in a first half at the arena, which opened in 2006.
Follow Hank on twitter at: https://twitter.com/hankkurzjr
- Monday's Sports In Brief
- The story of how Stephen Curry's agent and dad didn't want the Warriors to draft him
- Manny Pacquiao's injury debacle leaves bad taste, potential for legal repercussions
- Mike Tyson shoves fan for getting a little too handsy with him
- Mayweather-Pacquiao mockingly immortalized with hilarious Punch-Out parody
- Ray Shero named NJ Devils GM, as Lou Lamoriello gives up role
- Warriors' Stephen Curry named 2014-15 NBA MVP
- Ex-Green Beret Nate Boyer commanded Seahawks' attention without a workout
- Bulls take fight to Cavs, take Game 1 on the road behind Rose, Gasol, Butler
- Karl-Anthony Towns plans to earn Kentucky degree online while in NBA
- Hanley Ramirez leaves Monday's game after crashing into left field wall
- Ex-Kentucky center changes name to Willie 'Trill' Cauley-Stein
- The Brooklyn Nets? Gone till 2019.
- Who's next for Floyd Mayweather in his final fight?
- 2015 NFL draft grades: Is your team at the head of the class?
- Brewers hire Craig Counsell as manager after firing Ron Roenicke