Mitchell leads Virginia past Morgan St., 75-57By HANK KURZ Jr., AP Sports Writer Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP)—Akil Mitchell had 15 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists and Virginia overcame sloppy play to beat Morgan State 75-57 on Wednesday night, the Cavaliers’ eighth consecutive victory.
Darion Atkins added a career-high 17 points and Joe Harris scored 14 for Virginia (9-2).
Virginia led 43-34 when two baskets by Atkins sparked a 12-2 run early in the second half. With Jackson carrying the Bears, they closed within 59-50 with 6:54 to play before Virginia surged again.
A three-point play by Evan Nolte started another 12-2 run for Virginia, and they cruised from there.
Paul Jesperson hit his third 3-pointer of the night in the burst and scored a career-high 11 for the Cavaliers, who overcame nine second-half turnovers. They also outrebounded the Bears 39-21.
Virginia led 14-8 until the Bears went on a Jackson-led, 13-4 run. The senior scored 10 of the points, and hit two of his three first-half 3-pointers in the burst that gave Morgan State a 21-18 lead.
Virginia answered quickly, taking control back with a 15-0 spurt. Paul Jesperson hit back-to-back 3-pointers to start it, and freshman Justin Anderson capped with a 3 from deep on the right wing.
Jackson’s 19-point first half was the highest scoring first half for an opponent in John Paul Jones Arena history. Four players have scored 17 players in a first half at the arena, which opened in 2006.
Follow Hank on twitter at: https://twitter.com/hankkurzjr
- Tulowitzki homers and has 3 hits, Jays beat Phillies 8-2
- Drew Storen doesn't seem too excited about the Jonathan Papelbon deal
- The NBA's all-time starting five: New York Knicks
- Robert Kraft just hoisted a flag signaling that Roger Goodell and the NFL office cannot be trusted
- How Tom Brady and the Patriots walked into Roger Goodell's trap is baffling
- Jim Craig looking to sell 'Miracle on Ice' memorabilia, including gold medal, for $5.7M
- LeBron talks Tristan Thompson's contract, 'Space Jam,' more in Twitter Q&A
- Tom Brady blasts NFL decision to uphold his suspension
- Redskins say 7.8 billion people, more than are on Earth, follow them
- Who advised Tom Brady to destroy his cell phone? NFLPA says it wasn't them
- NFL contacted police to look over Roger Goodell's house after decision
- Shutdown Countdown: Bengals try to get over playoff hump ... again
- Michael Jordan loses out in a Chinese footwear trademark suit
- Report: Marlins sending pitcher Mat Latos, slugger Mike Morse to Dodgers
- Robert Kraft attacks the NFL, apologizes to Patriots fans
- Yahoo Sports' trade deadline tracker: Follow the latest MLB news and rumors