Mitchell leads Virginia past Morgan St., 75-57By HANK KURZ Jr., AP Sports Writer Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP)—Akil Mitchell had 15 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists and Virginia overcame sloppy play to beat Morgan State 75-57 on Wednesday night, the Cavaliers’ eighth consecutive victory.
Darion Atkins added a career-high 17 points and Joe Harris scored 14 for Virginia (9-2).
Virginia led 43-34 when two baskets by Atkins sparked a 12-2 run early in the second half. With Jackson carrying the Bears, they closed within 59-50 with 6:54 to play before Virginia surged again.
A three-point play by Evan Nolte started another 12-2 run for Virginia, and they cruised from there.
Paul Jesperson hit his third 3-pointer of the night in the burst and scored a career-high 11 for the Cavaliers, who overcame nine second-half turnovers. They also outrebounded the Bears 39-21.
Virginia led 14-8 until the Bears went on a Jackson-led, 13-4 run. The senior scored 10 of the points, and hit two of his three first-half 3-pointers in the burst that gave Morgan State a 21-18 lead.
Virginia answered quickly, taking control back with a 15-0 spurt. Paul Jesperson hit back-to-back 3-pointers to start it, and freshman Justin Anderson capped with a 3 from deep on the right wing.
Jackson’s 19-point first half was the highest scoring first half for an opponent in John Paul Jones Arena history. Four players have scored 17 players in a first half at the arena, which opened in 2006.
Follow Hank on twitter at: https://twitter.com/hankkurzjr
- NFL Winners and Losers: Overrated Arizona Cardinals back to earth
- Cam Newton expected to do too much with too little in Panthers' offense
- DeMarco Murray doesn't think Chip Kelly is giving him enough touches
- How the West was won: Rangers clinch division, Astros claim wild card
- How bad are Bucs? Panthers DB says he planned celebration before pick-6 of Jameis Winston
- The MLB postseason field is set! Here's the schedule for the opening rounds
- A Packers player told Colin Kaepernick what everybody already knew
- Drew Brees wins game with 400th career touchdown
- Forde's Fab Four: Where merit means more than school name
- San Diego chooses not to retain interim manager Pat Murphy
- LeBron James hopes to soon end the Tristan Thompson contract 'distraction'
- Andrew Shaw attempts Chicago Bears field goal, launches shoe (Video)
- Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin dominate as Rams upset Cardinals
- Harvick advances in Chase with Dover win; Johnson eliminated