VanDeest’s layup with 1:36 remaining gave the Bulldogs (5-5) a 68-66 lead, and he added another basket with 47 seconds left to make it a four-point game.
A 3-pointer by Stanton Kidd brought NC Central within 70-69 with 31 seconds left, but after Richard Carter hit two free throws for Drake with 11 seconds left, two 3-point attempts from the Eagles (5-6) in the final 3 seconds were off the mark.
Ben Simons added 16 points for Drake, which hit 10 of 21 3-point attempts. Carter had 13 points and five assists.
Kidd and Jeremy Ingram each had 23 points for NC Central, which was playing for the first time in 15 days.
- 10 observations from NFL's Week 12
- Kobe Bryant announces that he will retire at the end of this season
- Reports: Rob Gronkowski's injury not believed to be serious
- Oklahoma moves to No. 3 in AP poll
- Ben Roethlisberger in concussion protocol as Steelers botch game late
- How Nick Saban's dominance impacted coaching futures of Mark Richt, Les Miles
- Texans' J.J. Watt, reaching 70-mark, on insane sack pace at age 26
- Anthony Rizzo forms strong bond with teen battling cancer
- Perfection denied, as Broncos beat Patriots in an overtime thriller
- NFL Winners and Losers: Is Matt Ryan still a franchise quarterback?
- MLB’s market has changed and Jordan Zimmermann’s contract is proof
- Magic Johnson on Kobe: 'Closest thing we've seen to Michael Jordan'
- After 1-5 start, the Chiefs are now in the driver's seat for a wild card
- NBA stars past and present react to Kobe Bryant's retirement
- Vikings don't forget to feed Adrian Peterson, and — stunner — he dominates