VanDeest’s layup with 1:36 remaining gave the Bulldogs (5-5) a 68-66 lead, and he added another basket with 47 seconds left to make it a four-point game.
A 3-pointer by Stanton Kidd brought NC Central within 70-69 with 31 seconds left, but after Richard Carter hit two free throws for Drake with 11 seconds left, two 3-point attempts from the Eagles (5-6) in the final 3 seconds were off the mark.
Ben Simons added 16 points for Drake, which hit 10 of 21 3-point attempts. Carter had 13 points and five assists.
Kidd and Jeremy Ingram each had 23 points for NC Central, which was playing for the first time in 15 days.
- Pirates earn split with 3-0 win over Reds
- Special Olympics 2015 is winding down on an emotional note
- Redskins GM 'comfortable' with Galette despite 'scary' video
- Here we go with more 'Chip Kelly is racist' controversy nonsense
- NFL officials supervisor on footballs: 'They could have a slow leak'
- Daily Dime: Jaime Garcia, Ryan Howard, Jay Bruce, Eddie Rosario
- Puck Daddy's Summer Series: The Arizona Coyotes from A to Z
- No. 24 Boise State: The Broncos are poised for an undefeated season
- Sam Bradford doesn't hold back in practice with Eagles
- Plan to limit Manning's snaps will also benefit backup
- Norris shines in debut with Tigers, who beat Orioles 6-1
- It's time to include Ronda Rousey in the 'Greatest of All Time' conversation
- Cech shines for Arsenal in Community Shield as Wenger finally beats Mourinho
- Maple Leafs re-sign Jonathan Bernier for two years, $8.3M; avoid arb ruling
- Shutdown Corner: Well-rounded Ravens always a Super Bowl threat
- Ronda Rousey KOs Bethe Correia in 34 seconds at UFC 190 title bout