VanDeest’s layup with 1:36 remaining gave the Bulldogs (5-5) a 68-66 lead, and he added another basket with 47 seconds left to make it a four-point game.
A 3-pointer by Stanton Kidd brought NC Central within 70-69 with 31 seconds left, but after Richard Carter hit two free throws for Drake with 11 seconds left, two 3-point attempts from the Eagles (5-6) in the final 3 seconds were off the mark.
Ben Simons added 16 points for Drake, which hit 10 of 21 3-point attempts. Carter had 13 points and five assists.
Kidd and Jeremy Ingram each had 23 points for NC Central, which was playing for the first time in 15 days.
- NFL lineman Ray McDonald arrested again
- Putin accuses US of meddling into FIFA affairs
- Vladimir Putin accuses US of meddling in FIFA affairs, trying to take away Russia's World Cup
- Klay Thompson must complete concussion protocol to be cleared for NBA Finals
- Warriors clinch 1st Finals in 40 years with rugged Game 5 win over Rockets
- Dwight Howard picks up 7th technical foul of playoffs, faces Game 6 suspension
- Sources: Pelicans interview Jeff Van Gundy for coaching vacancy
- FIFA corruption: A timeline of unethical behavior
- Hong Kong eyeing implications for banks of FIFA corruption probe
- Russia's Putin says FIFA arrests show U.S. meddling abroad
- Blatter out of sight as FIFA corruption scandal deepens
- Jon Lester sets record for futility at the plate by starting career 0-for-58
- Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks force Game 7 with powerful performance
- Jack Nicklaus used the same 3-wood for all 18 major wins
- It's now or never for Abby Wambach
- Only surprise of corrupt, exploitative FIFA is that more weren’t indicted