Melvin leads DePaul past Auburn, 80-76By JOHN ZENOR, AP Sports Writer Friday, Nov 30, 2012
Melvin swiped a pass from Rob Chubb as the Tigers tried to set up for at least a tying basket. He drove for a layup with 13 seconds left but was fouled by Noel Johnson and put the game away for the Blue Demons (4-3). Brandon Young scored 19 points and had five assists for DePaul, which has won two straight games.
Melvin made 9 of 13 free-throw attempts and had 10 rebounds to follow up a 30-point game against Fairfield. Worrel Clahar hit two second-half 3-pointers and had 11 points.
Frankie Sullivan scored a career-high 28 points for Auburn (2-5), which has lost four in a row. Chubb had 17 points and 13 rebounds.
Sullivan, who had 20 first-half points, also dished out five assists. He made his first four 3-pointers before missing his last three against a trapping, pressing defense that frequently denied him the ball in the second half.
Johnson added 10 points.
DePaul shot 50 percent (12 of 24) in the second half to overcome a 19 of 33 performance from the free-throw line.
The Tigers went cold as the Blue Demons turned up the defensive heat, making just 12 of 31 shots (38.7 percent) after halftime.
Johnson hit two 3-pointers to tie the game at 72 with 3:33 left.
Then Melvin hit 1 of 2 free throws and Clahar drilled a 3-pointer with 2:15 to play. Auburn twice cut it to two points after that, the second time on a Sullivan drive with a minute left.
The Blue Demons pushed the ball across midcourt before calling timeout. Young drove along the baseline and fired a pass to the opposite side to Melvin, who missed a 3-pointer.
He made sure DePaul got the ball back before Auburn could attempt a shot, when Chubb got caught with the ball around the 3-point line.
Auburn had led 46-42 at halftime after Sullivan made two technical foul free throws with a minute left. Young had made a 3-pointer but then was called for a technical for taunting Auburn students.
- Brady blasts NFL 'Deflategate' suspension, denies wrongdoing
- LeBron talks Tristan Thompson's contract, 'Space Jam,' more in Twitter Q&A
- Tom Brady blasts NFL decision to uphold his suspension
- How NBA champ Festus Ezeli fell into basketball after emigrating from Nigeria at 14
- Eric Berry, diagnosed with cancer last year, cleared to practice with Chiefs
- Angels revamp OF depth by acquiring David Murphy and David DeJesus
- Sources: Nationals land closer Jonathan Papelbon
- Patriots and Tom Brady's agent not happy with Roger Goodell
- Russia's Ishchenko wins solo synchro gold at worlds
- Robert Kraft attacks the NFL, apologizes to Patriots fans
- Yahoo Sports' trade deadline tracker: Follow the latest MLB news and rumors
- Mookie Betts' non-catch gives Jose Abreu one of the strangest homers
- LeBron James on how long he'd last against Ronda Rousey: 'As long as she wanted me to last'
- Le'Veon Bell's suspension reduced from three games to two
- How Tom Brady can fight (and overturn) his suspension in court
- Tom Brady's destroyed cell phone is smoking gun that crushed the Patriots superstar