Melvin leads DePaul past Auburn, 80-76By JOHN ZENOR, AP Sports Writer Friday, Nov 30, 2012
Melvin swiped a pass from Rob Chubb as the Tigers tried to set up for at least a tying basket. He drove for a layup with 13 seconds left but was fouled by Noel Johnson and put the game away for the Blue Demons (4-3). Brandon Young scored 19 points and had five assists for DePaul, which has won two straight games.
Melvin made 9 of 13 free-throw attempts and had 10 rebounds to follow up a 30-point game against Fairfield. Worrel Clahar hit two second-half 3-pointers and had 11 points.
Frankie Sullivan scored a career-high 28 points for Auburn (2-5), which has lost four in a row. Chubb had 17 points and 13 rebounds.
Sullivan, who had 20 first-half points, also dished out five assists. He made his first four 3-pointers before missing his last three against a trapping, pressing defense that frequently denied him the ball in the second half.
Johnson added 10 points.
DePaul shot 50 percent (12 of 24) in the second half to overcome a 19 of 33 performance from the free-throw line.
The Tigers went cold as the Blue Demons turned up the defensive heat, making just 12 of 31 shots (38.7 percent) after halftime.
Johnson hit two 3-pointers to tie the game at 72 with 3:33 left.
Then Melvin hit 1 of 2 free throws and Clahar drilled a 3-pointer with 2:15 to play. Auburn twice cut it to two points after that, the second time on a Sullivan drive with a minute left.
The Blue Demons pushed the ball across midcourt before calling timeout. Young drove along the baseline and fired a pass to the opposite side to Melvin, who missed a 3-pointer.
He made sure DePaul got the ball back before Auburn could attempt a shot, when Chubb got caught with the ball around the 3-point line.
Auburn had led 46-42 at halftime after Sullivan made two technical foul free throws with a minute left. Young had made a 3-pointer but then was called for a technical for taunting Auburn students.
- Sixers beat Lakers for 1st win, end record-tying 18-loss start to season
- Kobe Bryant receives big ovation in Philadelphia, framed HS jersey
- Dave Roberts is evidence why race can be both important, meaningless
- Report: David Price agrees to seven-year, $217 million contract with Red Sox
- Fools’ gold: Why Barry Bonds will regret taking job in Miami
- Greg Cosell's Week 12 Review: How the Broncos knocked off the Patriots
- Forde-Yard Dash: Everything you need to know ahead of championship weekend
- Tiger Woods says there is 'no timetable' for his return
- UNC in position to shake up playoff bracket – but maybe not for itself
- Report: Georgia to name Alabama DC Kirby Smart its next head coach
- CFP Rankings: Top four unchanged heading into conference championships
- DeMarcus Cousins, Rajon Rondo have 'powerful' recent meeting with Kings coach George Karl
- UFC hoping new Las Vegas facility will lure fighters in, reduce significant injuries
- NBA rules that Luke Walton's only official win with Warriors is Coach of the Month
- Sources: Missouri interviewing head coaching candidates, including Cal's Sonny Dykes
- Steve Spurrier wrote an open letter to South Carolina fans