Melvin scored 24 first-half points—including 13 points in the opening 4 minutes—as DePaul (3-3) snapped a two-game losing streak.
Derek Needham paced Fairfield (3-4) with a career-high 29 points.
The Blue Demons quickly pushed their lead to 16 points early in the second half, then held off a late Stags rally capped by a Needham 3-pointer that cut the lead to 78-73 with 2:03 left in regulation.
Charles McKinney and Donnavan Kirk had 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Blue Demons. Amadou Sidibe had 11 points and a game-high 11 rebounds for Fairfield.
- Cowboys' reported choice of Cassel over Weeden can't hide Dallas' bad QB math
- NFL denies DeAngelo Williams' request to raise breast cancer awareness all season
- Steve Spurrier says decision to resign motivated by team's struggles
- Mets fan critically injured after fight in Dodger Stadium parking lot
- UFC Fight Night 76 sells out in record time without Conor McGregor
- Mets get their revenge; now it's up to Clayton Kershaw to save the Dodgers' season
- Jake Arrieta has worst start since June 16, Cubs still beat Cardinals
- Mets fans welcome home Ruben Tejada with rousing pregame ovation
- Michael Irvin: Greg Hardy is 'mind-boggling impressive'
- NFL admits clock error at end of Chargers-Steelers game
- Police say former Texas A&M WR admits to Monday slaying of park jogger
- The stories of the six men who caught the Cubs' historic home run balls
- NFL Power Rankings: Can the Seattle Seahawks rebound again?
- USC's chronic leadership failure continues with mishandling of Steve Sarkisian
- David Price decision key talking point from Blue Jays' Game 4 win