Melvin scored 24 first-half points—including 13 points in the opening 4 minutes—as DePaul (3-3) snapped a two-game losing streak.
Derek Needham paced Fairfield (3-4) with a career-high 29 points.
The Blue Demons quickly pushed their lead to 16 points early in the second half, then held off a late Stags rally capped by a Needham 3-pointer that cut the lead to 78-73 with 2:03 left in regulation.
Charles McKinney and Donnavan Kirk had 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Blue Demons. Amadou Sidibe had 11 points and a game-high 11 rebounds for Fairfield.
- De La Rosa pitches Rockies to 2-1 win over Athletics
- New sports uniforms level the playing field for Muslim girls
- Pirates-Tigers Preview
- Sources: Nets finalizing deals with Brook Lopez, Thaddeus Young
- Sources: Kawhi Leonard agrees to framework of contract to remain with Spurs
- Messi, Argentina crush Paraguay 6-1 to reach Copa America final (Video)
- Angels official on relationship between Mike Scioscia and Jerry Dipoto: 'Looks irreparable'
- Jim Harbaugh throws out first pitch at Tigers game (Video)
- Yankees-Angels Preview
- Big names, big markets in pursuit as NBA free agency opens
- M's rookie Montgomery 1-hits Padres for 2nd straight shutout
- Anthony Davis, star of the NBA's next era, signs a 'next era' contract extension
- Chris Sale ties record with eighth straight double-digit strikeout start
- Questionable calls go USA's way in World Cup semifinal win over Germany
- U.S. advances to Women's World Cup final with 2-0 win over Germany
- Your 2015 NBA free agent primer