Melvin scored 24 first-half points—including 13 points in the opening 4 minutes—as DePaul (3-3) snapped a two-game losing streak.
Derek Needham paced Fairfield (3-4) with a career-high 29 points.
The Blue Demons quickly pushed their lead to 16 points early in the second half, then held off a late Stags rally capped by a Needham 3-pointer that cut the lead to 78-73 with 2:03 left in regulation.
Charles McKinney and Donnavan Kirk had 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Blue Demons. Amadou Sidibe had 11 points and a game-high 11 rebounds for Fairfield.
- What NHL players are told about rape, domestic violence
- Web.com Tour player Malnati has priceless reaction to mud splatter
- Cody Franson, Buffalo Sabres nearing 2-year contract deal?
- This Miguel Sano monster shot was robbed by the catwalk in Tampa
- Ken Griffey Jr. catches fish and rides a moped in new Macklemore video
- Change of scenery: Cubs acquire Fernando Rodney to shore up bullpen
- Shaq and Kobe say they regret their past actions. Some of them, at least.
- Serena Williams says she's ready to go
- Feeling uncomfortable, Spieth stumbles out of The Barclays gate
- Mets explode in extras, retain lead in National League East
- Sources: Kings sign Marshall Henderson
- Brandon Jennings is cool with coming off the Pistons bench
- Christian Ehrhoff signing adds more Slava Voynov questions for LA Kings
- StewPod #14: Who is the real American League MVP?
- Can Ohio State repeat as national champions? (video)
- Joey Harrington on why college athletes shouldn't be paid (podcast)