Melvin scored 24 first-half points—including 13 points in the opening 4 minutes—as DePaul (3-3) snapped a two-game losing streak.
Derek Needham paced Fairfield (3-4) with a career-high 29 points.
The Blue Demons quickly pushed their lead to 16 points early in the second half, then held off a late Stags rally capped by a Needham 3-pointer that cut the lead to 78-73 with 2:03 left in regulation.
Charles McKinney and Donnavan Kirk had 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Blue Demons. Amadou Sidibe had 11 points and a game-high 11 rebounds for Fairfield.
- Mariners-Rays Preview
- Blue Jays activate SS Jose Reyes
- Odd-man in: Mets go to 6-man rotation to cut innings
- Chicago Bears look bad after Ray McDonald's latest arrest
- This time cramps can't stop LeBron James as he's one step closer to NBA Finals
- LeBron, Cavs survive Hawks in OT, now one win away from NBA Finals
- Lightning shock Rangers in Game 5, one win away from Cup Final
- Watch emotional return of John Amirante to MSG for Game 5 anthem (Video)
- Rays put 1B James Loney on disabled list with broken finger
- White Sox-Blue Jays Preview
- Homegrown Monfils feels no extra French Open pressure
- Looking ahead to Game 4: Warriors at Rockets
- War of words: Horford says Dellavedova's 'track record' is clear; LeBron says Delly 'doesn't deserve it'
- Confidence carrying Stamkos as scoring touch returns
- Source: Adrian Peterson still presses for trade from Vikings with decision to skip OTAs
- Derek Jeter returns to Yankee Stadium for Bernie Williams Day