Melvin scored 24 first-half points—including 13 points in the opening 4 minutes—as DePaul (3-3) snapped a two-game losing streak.
Derek Needham paced Fairfield (3-4) with a career-high 29 points.
The Blue Demons quickly pushed their lead to 16 points early in the second half, then held off a late Stags rally capped by a Needham 3-pointer that cut the lead to 78-73 with 2:03 left in regulation.
Charles McKinney and Donnavan Kirk had 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Blue Demons. Amadou Sidibe had 11 points and a game-high 11 rebounds for Fairfield.
- LEADING OFF: Price Jays debut; Burnett to doc; Cubs-Pirates
- Aldon Smith, Glenn Dorsey hope to play full season
- Rams' Trumaine Johnson, E.J. Gaines competing at cornerback
- Astros-Rangers Preview
- The Blue Jays and Royals do not like each other after near brawl
- Michael Jordan (and kid) bests Jimmy Butler (and kid) at a shooting competition (Video)
- The NBA's all-time starting five: Los Angeles Lakers
- Sam Bradford looks healthy, on track to start Eagles' preseason opener
- Cowboys' Bryant has prolonged incident with teammate at camp
- Closing ceremonies held for Los Angeles Special Olympics
- Justin Upton struck out four times ... on just 12 pitches
- One of Chip Kelly's biggest problems with Eagles: culture shock
- Tiger Woods closes Quicken Loans National with modest 68
- Matt Kenseth wins nutty Pocono race on fuel mileage
- Four impact players who could still be traded in August
- It's time to include Ronda Rousey in the 'Greatest of All Time' conversation