Melvin scored 24 first-half points—including 13 points in the opening 4 minutes—as DePaul (3-3) snapped a two-game losing streak.
Derek Needham paced Fairfield (3-4) with a career-high 29 points.
The Blue Demons quickly pushed their lead to 16 points early in the second half, then held off a late Stags rally capped by a Needham 3-pointer that cut the lead to 78-73 with 2:03 left in regulation.
Charles McKinney and Donnavan Kirk had 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Blue Demons. Amadou Sidibe had 11 points and a game-high 11 rebounds for Fairfield.
- NFL Live Blog: Follow Week 12 action with the Shutdown Corner team
- Heroics and heartbreak: Stanford delivers in clutch to dash Notre Dame's playoff hopes
- Tom Brady wrangles Broncos in new Facebook pic
- Reports: Rutgers fires coach Kyle Flood, AD Julie Hermann
- LSU beats Texas A&M; LSU AD says Les Miles will continue to be coach
- Why this win over Michigan meant so much to Ohio State's Urban Meyer
- Patrick Kane sets NHL record with points in 19 straight games
- Georgia fires coach Mark Richt after 15 seasons
- Report: $110 million deal pending between Jordan Zimmermann, Tigers
- Winners and Losers: There are six teams left vying for four CFP spots
- Stanford shocks Notre Dame on last-second field goal
- Report: Iowa State hires Toledo's Matt Campbell
- Oklahoma claims Big 12 title and probable CFP spot with win against Oklahoma State
- Tyson Fury ends Wladimir Klitschko's 11-year unbeaten streak, celebrates by singing Aerosmith