Melvin scored 24 first-half points—including 13 points in the opening 4 minutes—as DePaul (3-3) snapped a two-game losing streak.
Derek Needham paced Fairfield (3-4) with a career-high 29 points.
The Blue Demons quickly pushed their lead to 16 points early in the second half, then held off a late Stags rally capped by a Needham 3-pointer that cut the lead to 78-73 with 2:03 left in regulation.
Charles McKinney and Donnavan Kirk had 11 and 10 points, respectively, for the Blue Demons. Amadou Sidibe had 11 points and a game-high 11 rebounds for Fairfield.
- NFL linebacker due in court to face 'revenge porn' charges
- Flames edge Ducks in overtime
- LEADING OFF: Royals get Holland back, Scherzer seeking help
- Conley comes back, leads Grizzlies past Warriors 97-90
- The new Miguel Cabrera is just like the old one: hitting and having way too much fun
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 with wrist injury
- Mitch Williams, Lenny Dykstra clash during Philly Sports Roast (Video)
- UFC restructures its Hall of Fame, creates four distinct wings for induction
- CAS sets 2-day hearing in Marta Dominguez doping case
- Mirza wants to inspire girls across subcontinent
- Grizzlies control Game 2 from start to finish, even series with Warriors
- Hawks bounce back, beat Wall-less Wizards in Game 2 to tie series 1-1
- Blackhawks follow Kane's lead in 1-0 Game 3 win over Wild
- Will Mayweather-Pacquiao pay-per-view record ever be broken?
- Aaron Hernandez's lawyers heading back to court
- Isiah Thomas is taking over the WNBA's New York Liberty, which is stunning