SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas (AP)—Brandon Venturini scored 14 points, including four 3-pointers, to lead Navy to a 63-53 victory over Delaware State on Saturday in both teams’ South Padre Island Invitational finale.
Tilman Dunbar added 11 points for the Midshipmen (3-4), who shot only 45 percent from the floor but made seven of their 16 attempts from behind the arc.
Kendall Gray and Tyshawn Bell had 13 points apiece for the Hornets (3-4), and Gray pulled down a game-high seven rebounds. Delaware State made just 36 percent of its shots.
Navy didn’t trail after the opening minutes, as a Kendall Knorr 3-pointer capped an 18-2 run that gave the Midshipmen a 24-8 lead with 6:50 left in the first half. Navy led 35-20 at halftime, then scored the first nine points of the second period, capped by a Venturini 3-pointer, to take its largest lead, 44-20, with 16:26 to play.
- Change of scenery: Cubs acquire Fernando Rodney to shore up bullpen
- Shaq and Kobe say they regret their past actions. Some of them, at least.
- Serena Williams says she's ready to go
- Jim McElwain will play 2 quarterbacks in Florida's season opener
- Report: Kyrie Irving's broken knee cap could keep him out until January
- Hurricanes sign building block Elias Lindholm to two-year $5.4M extension
- Special sparring session shows how Floyd Mayweather always has a plan
- Alex Rodriguez is being sued by his former brother-in-law for $100 million
- StewPod #14: Who is the real American League MVP?
- Can Ohio State repeat as national champions? (video)
- Joey Harrington on why college athletes shouldn't be paid (podcast)
- Florida OT Martez Ivey to have arthroscopic surgery
- UFC fighter Alexis Davis gets great news on multiple fronts
- Tennessee is monitoring the sleep of its players
- Darryl Dawkins, the legendary 'Chocolate Thunder,' dies at 58