SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas (AP)—Brandon Venturini scored 14 points, including four 3-pointers, to lead Navy to a 63-53 victory over Delaware State on Saturday in both teams’ South Padre Island Invitational finale.
Tilman Dunbar added 11 points for the Midshipmen (3-4), who shot only 45 percent from the floor but made seven of their 16 attempts from behind the arc.
Kendall Gray and Tyshawn Bell had 13 points apiece for the Hornets (3-4), and Gray pulled down a game-high seven rebounds. Delaware State made just 36 percent of its shots.
Navy didn’t trail after the opening minutes, as a Kendall Knorr 3-pointer capped an 18-2 run that gave the Midshipmen a 24-8 lead with 6:50 left in the first half. Navy led 35-20 at halftime, then scored the first nine points of the second period, capped by a Venturini 3-pointer, to take its largest lead, 44-20, with 16:26 to play.
- Everything goes wrong for Blue Jays in Game 1 of ALDS
- Union and NBA working to fund cardiac screenings for ex-players
- Pete Rose criticizes Blue Jays players for not playing through playoff injuries
- Jury begins deliberations in Thabo Sefolosha-NYPD trial
- ALDS Game 1: Rangers bats get to Blue Jays ace David Price in 5-3 win
- Josh Donaldson removed from Game 1 of ALDS after taking knee to the head
- Source: Maryland intends to fire football coach Randy Edsall
- Report: Dolphins fire defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle
- Learn their name: Rangers announce their postseason presence with ALDS Game 1 win
- NLDS preview: Cubs and Cardinals prep for first-ever postseason clash
- Sources: Jazz forward Trevor Booker suspended one game by NBA
- More alleged details emerge in the reported Matt Barnes and Derek Fisher altercation
- BDL's 2015-16 NBA Season Preview: Phoenix Suns
- Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre leaves playoff game in tears with injury
- Bryant assistant becomes Division I's first openly gay basketball coach
- Who's going all the way? Yahoo Sports predicts the 2015 MLB postseason