SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas (AP)—Brandon Venturini scored 14 points, including four 3-pointers, to lead Navy to a 63-53 victory over Delaware State on Saturday in both teams’ South Padre Island Invitational finale.
Tilman Dunbar added 11 points for the Midshipmen (3-4), who shot only 45 percent from the floor but made seven of their 16 attempts from behind the arc.
Kendall Gray and Tyshawn Bell had 13 points apiece for the Hornets (3-4), and Gray pulled down a game-high seven rebounds. Delaware State made just 36 percent of its shots.
Navy didn’t trail after the opening minutes, as a Kendall Knorr 3-pointer capped an 18-2 run that gave the Midshipmen a 24-8 lead with 6:50 left in the first half. Navy led 35-20 at halftime, then scored the first nine points of the second period, capped by a Venturini 3-pointer, to take its largest lead, 44-20, with 16:26 to play.
- All eyes on Johnny as Manziel practices with Browns
- Girls tackle football? Yeah, it's happening
- Houston's Toyota Center invited fans to stay late after Game 4 as floodwaters swirled
- Nadal pulls through French Open first round
- Warriors can live with Game 4 loss after Stephen Curry survives terrifying fall
- Jonathan Toews gives Chicago hope in spite of OT loss
- Real Madrid must make bold hire in replacing Carlo Ancelotti
- Chicago Bears look bad, cut Ray McDonald after latest arrest
- Milwaukee officials, Bucks president say arena deal close
- Russia cuts 2018 World Cup budget by more than $70 million
- Conor Daly to replace James Hinchcliffe in Detroit
- Mad Dash: Wood Air Jordans selling for $10K on eBay
- Watch this fan in an American flag jacket snag a foul ball and dance ridiculously
- Josh Hamilton a little rusty in return to Texas Rangers
- Greg Cosell's NFL analysis: Jameis Winston landed with a good coordinator