SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas (AP)—Brandon Venturini scored 14 points, including four 3-pointers, to lead Navy to a 63-53 victory over Delaware State on Saturday in both teams’ South Padre Island Invitational finale.
Tilman Dunbar added 11 points for the Midshipmen (3-4), who shot only 45 percent from the floor but made seven of their 16 attempts from behind the arc.
Kendall Gray and Tyshawn Bell had 13 points apiece for the Hornets (3-4), and Gray pulled down a game-high seven rebounds. Delaware State made just 36 percent of its shots.
Navy didn’t trail after the opening minutes, as a Kendall Knorr 3-pointer capped an 18-2 run that gave the Midshipmen a 24-8 lead with 6:50 left in the first half. Navy led 35-20 at halftime, then scored the first nine points of the second period, capped by a Venturini 3-pointer, to take its largest lead, 44-20, with 16:26 to play.
- Heroics and heartbreak: Stanford delivers in clutch to dash Notre Dame's playoff hopes
- Stanford shocks Notre Dame on last-second field goal
- Report: Iowa State hires Toledo's Matt Campbell
- Oklahoma claims Big 12 title and probable CFP spot with win against Oklahoma State
- Tyson Fury ends Wladimir Klitschko's 11-year unbeaten streak, celebrates by singing Aerosmith
- Michigan State destroys Penn State, sets up date with Iowa for Big Ten title
- USC clinches Pac-12 South title with 40-21 win against UCLA
- Report: Gun pulled on 76ers' Jahlil Okafor in October incident in Philadelphia
- Winners and Losers: There are six teams left vying for four CFP spots
- LSU beats Texas A&M; LSU AD says Les Miles will continue to be coach
- Why this win over Michigan meant so much to Ohio State's Urban Meyer
- Patrick Kane sets NHL record with points in 19 straight games
- Alabama outlasts Auburn in strange, kick-heavy Iron Bowl
- Report: Byung-Ho Park traveling to U.S., deal expected with Twins
- John Tortorella blasts Penguins: ‘Pittsburgh whines enough for whole league’