LaDontae Henton scored 15 and grabbed eight rebounds, and Josh Fortune added 10 points for the Friars (4-2).
Derek Needham paced the Stags (3-3) with 18 points. Fairfield shot just 35.2 percent (19 of 54) and committed 16 turnovers.
Cotton, who entered the game as the Big East’s leading scorer with 24.5 points per game, went 6 of 13 from the floor, hitting his only two 3s of the game in the key run.
Vincent Council, Providence’s leading scorer from last season at 15.9 points per game, missed his fifth straight contest. He suffered a leg injury 5 minutes into the season opener.
The Friars, who beat UNC Ashville in the third round of the Puerto Rico Tip-off tournament Sunday, led by eight at halftime.
- Napoli homers again, drives in 4; Red Sox beat Angels 6-1
- Indianapolis 500 features multiple incidents but no cars flipping over
- Juan Pablo Montoya's great pass gives him Indy 500 win
- Crew members for No. 18 car hit on pit road at Indy
- Billy Donovan thanks Florida fans with full-page newspaper ad
- Norge Luis Ruiz, Cuba's top pitching prospect, is headed to America
- Stephen Curry is on a collision course with LeBron James to determine NBA supremacy
- Curry's MVP performance keys Game 3 blowout, puts Rockets on brink
- Wacha improves to 7-0, Cards end 3-game skid by beating KC
- Fan unknowingly catches foul ball in jacket pouch
- Winners and losers from the final day of the Premier League season
- MLB Network looks at the remarkable story of Navy graduate Mitch Harris
- Greg Cosell's NFL analysis: The Titans' long-term plan with Mariota
- Why Daniel Cormier shouldn't get comfortable as UFC light heavyweight champ
- Antoine Vermette goes from healthy scratch to playoff hero as Blackhawks beat Ducks in double-OT thrill ride
- UFC 187: Chris Weidman endures early flurry, KOs Vitor Belfort in thriller