LaDontae Henton scored 15 and grabbed eight rebounds, and Josh Fortune added 10 points for the Friars (4-2).
Derek Needham paced the Stags (3-3) with 18 points. Fairfield shot just 35.2 percent (19 of 54) and committed 16 turnovers.
Cotton, who entered the game as the Big East’s leading scorer with 24.5 points per game, went 6 of 13 from the floor, hitting his only two 3s of the game in the key run.
Vincent Council, Providence’s leading scorer from last season at 15.9 points per game, missed his fifth straight contest. He suffered a leg injury 5 minutes into the season opener.
The Friars, who beat UNC Ashville in the third round of the Puerto Rico Tip-off tournament Sunday, led by eight at halftime.
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers won't stop contending
- Minnesota athletics official takes leave amid Norwood Teague investigation
- Judge rules for Tom Brady, overturns four-game deflate-gate suspension; Goodell to appeal
- Spread Options: Dr. Saturday's Week 1 picks against the spread
- Judge's assault ruling overturned due to excessive hockey knowledge
- Why did Judge Berman rule in Tom Brady's favor?
- Year of the prospect continues: Dodgers reportedly recall Seager
- Franzen skates; 2016 NHL trade deadline set; McDavid's rookie card (Puck Headlines)
- Source: Free agent Landry Fields has surgery for hip injury
- Roger Goodell 'respectfully' disagrees with Brady ruling, NFL will appeal
- Floodgates open? Greg Hardy considering appeal after Tom Brady ruling
- Manager Matt Williams isn’t the only one to blame for Nationals’ mess
- NFL players react on Twitter to the Tom Brady deflate-gate ruling
- Tom Brady is free and the NFL lost big (podcast)