LaDontae Henton scored 15 and grabbed eight rebounds, and Josh Fortune added 10 points for the Friars (4-2).
Derek Needham paced the Stags (3-3) with 18 points. Fairfield shot just 35.2 percent (19 of 54) and committed 16 turnovers.
Cotton, who entered the game as the Big East’s leading scorer with 24.5 points per game, went 6 of 13 from the floor, hitting his only two 3s of the game in the key run.
Vincent Council, Providence’s leading scorer from last season at 15.9 points per game, missed his fifth straight contest. He suffered a leg injury 5 minutes into the season opener.
The Friars, who beat UNC Ashville in the third round of the Puerto Rico Tip-off tournament Sunday, led by eight at halftime.
- Wayne Selden's resurgence sparks Kansas to Maui title
- Hornets score 25 straight, hold Wizards to 6 fourth-quarter points in big win
- Family of Frank Gifford announces Hall of Famer had CTE
- Sidney Crosby feels stupid humoring Mario Lemieux feud rumor
- FSU official details number of rape allegations against football players
- Heisman watch: Who can make the best impression down the stretch?
- NFL Awards Watch: Cam Newton-Tom Brady MVP race isn't close yet
- Bowl projections, pre-Week 13 edition
- Bucks coach Jason Kidd ejected for slapping ball out of ref's hands
- Mike Pettine doesn't close door on Johnny Manziel being in Browns future
- The NCAA finally frees prized Kansas freshman Cheick Diallo
- Cubs release new renderings of plaza under construction outside Wrigley Field