CANCUN, Mexico (AP)—Jamal Crook scored 16 points, T.J. Price added 13 points, five rebounds and five assists and Western Kentucky went on to a 70-61 win over DePaul in the consolation game of the Cancun Challenge on Wednesday night.
Western Kentucky (3-2) had a comfortable lead for much of the contest before the Blue Demons made things interesting in the second half, completing a 21-8 run when Durrell McDonald scored on a fast-break dunk with 1:17 and cut the lead to seven, 68-61, but the run came too late to overcome the Hilltoppers.
DePaul’s Cleveland Melvin scored 14 of his 22 points in the second half and added 13 rebounds but it wasn’t enough. Melvin hit a jumper to give the Blue Demons (2-3) a 10-9 lead before the first media timeout but Western Kentucky closed out the first half on a 32-17 run to lead 41-27 at the break.
- Warriors outlast Jazz in tough win, move to 19-0
- Browns find a new low, lose on a blocked field goal for a touchdown
- Peyton Manning on path of legends who had inglorious ends to careers
- Three losses to unranked foes raise familiar questions about LSU
- Report: Interim coach Luke Walton might get credit for Warriors' wins, after all
- Why Kobe Bryant decided it was time to retire
- Five-win Missouri says it will not pursue a bowl inivite
- MLB players get record postseason payout of $69 million
- Question for the committee: Does Clemson deserve to make playoff even if it loses?
- As Kobe returns home, his old coach urges Philadelphia to give him proper sendoff
- KD decries media criticism of Kobe: 'They never got players and how we work'
- 10 observations from NFL's Week 12
- Toronto's Garret Sparks gets emotional after shutout in NHL debut (Video)
- Report: Barry Bonds could be the Marlins' next hitting coach
- Hot Stove Digest: Jim Johnson returns to Braves on a one-year deal