Butler beats Marquette 72-71 on Clarke’s buzzer 3By OSKAR GARCIA, Associated Press Monday, Nov 19, 2012
Clarke hit the improbable basket after the Bulldogs (2-1) drove the length of the court down two points with less than 8 seconds left.
Clarke—who had missed most of his 3-point shots for the game—made the shot from the right side and was mobbed on the gym floor by his teammates after it went through.
Marquette’s Andrew Thomas hit an acrobatic putback layup and made a free throw to put the Golden Eagles (2-1) up three with 30.9 seconds left. Clarke missed a 3-pointer for the tie, but Erik Fromm got an offensive rebound and made a layup with 9 seconds left. Clarke fouled Marquette’s Junior Cadougan on the next play, but Cadougan missed his second free throw to set up the winning shot.
Clarke had 20 points and made just 4 of 14 3-point attempts. But the shots he hit came in big moments, including two to tie in the first half.
None were bigger than the last shot in a tournament built on celebrating improbable upsets.
Khyle Marshall had 24 points and nine rebounds for Butler. Vander Blue scored 21 points for the Golden Eagles.
Marquette went on a quick 12-0 run after Marshall scored the opening basket for Butler. But the Bulldogs grinded their way back, making a few more baskets during a stretch in which both teams kept a frenetic pace, but neither shot particularly well.
Clarke hit a 3-pointer with just under 4 minutes left in the half to tie the game at 23, and Butler went into halftime with a 31-30 lead.
The teams then traded blows from the start in the second half. Cadougan hit a jumper 3 minutes in to give Marquette a one-point lead, Marshall responded with an alley-oop dunk from Jones, then Anderson shot back with a reverse layup to put the Golden Eagles back up again.
Marquette maintained a small lead through the bulk of the last 10 minutes of the game.
The game had three ties and four lead changes.
Oskar Garcia can be reached on Twitter at https://twitter.com/oskargarcia .
- Packers offense opens training camp with running start
- Tony Romo, Cowboys will be unable to dodge Super Bowl expectations talk
- Jon Richter, son of Rams great Les Richter, defends Hall of Fame policy amid Junior Seau controversy
- Patriots ignore anything deflate-gate, even giant banner above that mocked Tom Brady
- With money and cutting-edge brilliance, Dodgers playing a game others can’t
- Packers not backing down from Super Bowl talk despite so-so start to camp
- Urban Meyer says QB Braxton Miller will start fall camp as a WR
- Five mistakes even good fantasy football owners make
- Astros acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers
- Jets DE Sheldon Richardson busted for allegedly driving 143 mph, resisting arrest
- Why Ohio State's suspensions aren't a trouble sign for the defending champs
- Giants co-owner in dark on JPP: 'I don't know how many fingers he has'
- The NBA's all-time starting five: Sacramento Kings
- Ronda Rousey returns to where her growing legend began
- The pressure is on Blue Jays after David Price trade
- Sources: Jays agree to trade for ace David Price