Cotton scores 30, Providence beats UNC AshevilleSunday, Nov 18, 2012
BAYAMON, Puerto Rico (AP)—Bryce Cotton scored 30 points to lead Providence to a 72-67 win over UNC Asheville in the seventh-place game at the Puerto Rico Tipoff on Sunday.
Kadeem Batts had 15 points and 11 rebounds for the Friars (3-2). LaDontae Henton also scored 15.
Cotton missed Providence’s 55-52 overtime loss to Penn State on Friday because of injury.
Providence coach Ed Cooley thought his team looked tired after its fifth game in nine days.
“We were able to execute in the last four minutes—scratch, claw, whatever we could do to get a win today,” he said. “Bryce was Superman today on the floor.”
The Bulldogs led 64-63 on a layup by Trent Meyer with just over 3 minutes left, but Providence took the lead for good on a jumper by Lee Goldsbrough.
Meyer led Asheville (1-4) with 20 points. Jeremy Atkinson had 16 points and 13 rebounds.
“Like our other games, we’ve had problems with our inconsistency,” Asheville coach Eddie Biedenbach said. “Our execution of defense was weak at times. . This is one we should have won. It’s because we were not there with offensive execution.”
Providence shot 55 percent from the floor but was just 12 of 21 from the foul line.
- Packers fall to Bears as Green Bay honors Brett Favre
- Jahlil Okafor's apparent street fight is more proof of 76ers' flawed rebuilding plan
- Chip Kelly's season still going downhill, and the biggest problem is familiar
- Week 12 Start/Sit: Down with Browns' McCown
- Week 12: Deep Sleepers and DFS Bargains
- LeBron James, after his Cavs fell to an embarrassing 11-4 mark: 'We got to get better'
- Heisman watch: Who can make the best impression down the stretch?
- FSU official details number of rape allegations against football players
- Report: Tony Romo out for the rest of the season
- Tom Brady thankful he can dress as a giant turkey, frighten his kids
- Texas Tech uses fake kneel down to score game-winning TD (Video)
- Spieth gets into contention at the Australian Open, trails Jones by 4
- Bowl projections, pre-Week 13 edition
- Sidney Crosby feels stupid humoring Mario Lemieux feud rumor
- Family of Frank Gifford announces Hall of Famer had CTE