Jermaine Marshall added 13 points for the Nittany Lions (2-1).
D.J. Newbill scored four of Penn State’s 12 points in the overtime as the Nittany Lions held on for the win. Penn State faces Akron on Sunday.
Kadeem Batts shot only 2 for 12 from the field, but led Providence (2-2) with 17 points and added 11 rebounds. He went 13 for 15 from the free throw line.
Batts scored the Friars’ last eight points in regulation, all on free throws. His final two with 14 seconds left in regulation tied the game at 43 and forced overtime.
Josh Fortune added 15 points and LaDontae Henton had 11 for the Friars, who used only six players.
The teams struggled to score in the first half and the Friars took a 16-14 lead.
“Obviously, we came here to win. But when we came here, all hell broke loose,” Providence coach Ed Cooley said. “We’ll be all right once we get a couple of healthy bodies. I couldn’t be more proud of our guys—everybody did something. It was a great game for us.”
- Source: Hornets' Michael Kidd-Gilchrist likely to miss season because of shoulder surgery
- After 1-3 start, Miami Dolphins fire coach Joe Philbin
- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones downgrades Brandon Weeden to 'limited'
- Matt Williams fired as Washington Nationals manager
- Bernard Hopkins eyeing final fight
- Forde's Fab Four: Where merit means more than school name
- Former UFC title-holder Jon Jones briefly breaks social media silence
- Chicago Blackhawks' Stanley Cup rings feature 355 diamonds (Photos)
- CC Sabathia enters alcohol rehab, will miss Yankees' postseason
- This is why 49ers built Kaepernick's $126M deal in such shrewd fashion
- Stephen A. Smith responds to Kevin Durant: 'You don’t want to make an enemy out of me'
- Sharks' Raffi Torres suspended 41 games for hit on Jakob Silfverberg (Video)
- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist's loss could spell very bad news for the Hornets
- BDL's 2015-16 NBA Season Previews: Golden State Warriors
- The MLB postseason field is set! Here's the schedule for the opening rounds