Jermaine Marshall added 13 points for the Nittany Lions (2-1).
D.J. Newbill scored four of Penn State’s 12 points in the overtime as the Nittany Lions held on for the win. Penn State faces Akron on Sunday.
Kadeem Batts shot only 2 for 12 from the field, but led Providence (2-2) with 17 points and added 11 rebounds. He went 13 for 15 from the free throw line.
Batts scored the Friars’ last eight points in regulation, all on free throws. His final two with 14 seconds left in regulation tied the game at 43 and forced overtime.
Josh Fortune added 15 points and LaDontae Henton had 11 for the Friars, who used only six players.
The teams struggled to score in the first half and the Friars took a 16-14 lead.
“Obviously, we came here to win. But when we came here, all hell broke loose,” Providence coach Ed Cooley said. “We’ll be all right once we get a couple of healthy bodies. I couldn’t be more proud of our guys—everybody did something. It was a great game for us.”
- Blake Swihart's inside-the-park homer helps Red Sox stop streaking Mets
- Injury to Robbie Lawler sends Ronda Rousey to Australia to headline UFC 193
- Vin Scully will return for 67th season in Dodgers television booth
- Nationals nix Jayson Werth bobblehead, were not satisfied with finished product
- Mario Hezonja lights up EuroBasket tune-up, daps opposing coach
- Tim Beckman: 'I will vigorously defend both my reputation and my legal rights'
- Fan suing Red Sox after suffering injuries from foul ball
- Pavel Medvedev scores nasty ‘lacrosse’ goal in KHL (Video)
- Unexpected ace helping power Cubs’ resurgence
- UFC reinstates Travis Browne after investigation is inconclusive
- Titans QB Marcus Mariota impresses again in third preseason game
- Patriots' offense, Tom Brady rally a bit after slow start to preseason
- Fantasy Football Ranks: Preseason '15
- On second thought, Robert Griffin III will sit out with concussion
- LSU OC Cam Cameron given 'clean bill of health' after cancer diagnosis
- Devin Setoguchi comes to Maple Leafs with right attitude after 'wrong turn'