Landis leads Gardner-Webb to 71-59 win over DePaulThursday, Nov 15, 2012
ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP)—Max Landis scored a career-high 20 points and Kevin Hartley added 16 points and 12 rebounds to lead Gardner-Webb to a 71-59 upset win over DePaul in the first round of the Cancun Challenge on Thursday night.
Gardner-Webb (2-2) got its first win against a Big East school, albeit against DePaul, which has managed to win just five conference games in the past four seasons.
Gardner-Webb blew open a close game after halftime. Cleveland Melvin’s basket got the Blue Demons (1-1) within 41-33 early in the second half, but the Runnin’ Bulldogs answered with a 12-4 run to get the lead up to 16. Landis hit a 3-pointer and Donta Harper finished a missed layup with a dunk to put Gardner-Webb up 53-37 with 12:58 left.
Harper finished with 13 points and eight rebounds for Gardner-Webb. Melvin had 18 points and Brandon Young added 10 for DePaul.
- BDL's 2015-16 NBA Season Preview: Phoenix Suns
- Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre leaves playoff game in tears with injury
- Bryant assistant becomes Division I's first openly gay basketball coach
- Who's going all the way? Yahoo Sports predicts the 2015 MLB postseason
- Looming tax fraud trial for Lionel Messi just the latest drama for Barcelona
- Why Dustin Brown wasn’t suspended for ‘head butt’ on Logan Couture
- Blatter, Platini suspensions bring uncertainty to FIFA presidential election
- How Jake Arrieta guaranteed the Cubs' wild-card victory three weeks ago
- Josh Donaldson removed from Game 1 of ALDS after taking knee to the head
- Source: Maryland intends to fire football coach Randy Edsall
- Report: Dolphins fire defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle
- Report says Andrew Luck will not start for the Colts on Thursday night
- NFL to test boundary cameras at MetLife Stadium this season
- Reports: Maryland plans to fire head coach Randy Edsall
- Jerry Jones doubles down on Greg Hardy's dumb 'guns blazing' comments