Landis leads Gardner-Webb to 71-59 win over DePaulThursday, Nov 15, 2012
ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP)—Max Landis scored a career-high 20 points and Kevin Hartley added 16 points and 12 rebounds to lead Gardner-Webb to a 71-59 upset win over DePaul in the first round of the Cancun Challenge on Thursday night.
Gardner-Webb (2-2) got its first win against a Big East school, albeit against DePaul, which has managed to win just five conference games in the past four seasons.
Gardner-Webb blew open a close game after halftime. Cleveland Melvin’s basket got the Blue Demons (1-1) within 41-33 early in the second half, but the Runnin’ Bulldogs answered with a 12-4 run to get the lead up to 16. Landis hit a 3-pointer and Donta Harper finished a missed layup with a dunk to put Gardner-Webb up 53-37 with 12:58 left.
Harper finished with 13 points and eight rebounds for Gardner-Webb. Melvin had 18 points and Brandon Young added 10 for DePaul.
- Williamses renew rivalry as little sister eyes Serena Slam
- Still no international glory for Messi, and still no reason to let it tarnish his legacy
- Sources: Lakers finalizing terms on trade to acquire Pacers center Roy Hibbert
- Wimbledon Saturday: American Madison Keys reaches fourth round
- LaMarcus Aldridge solidifies Spurs' contender status, eases transition to future
- Sources: Bismack Biyombo agrees to contract with Raptors
- Bryce Harper homers using star-spangled bat on Fourth of July
- Miguel Cabrera makes first career trip to DL with strained left calf
- Kris Bryant homers twice, drives in six in big Cubs win
- Chile wins Copa America on PKs as Messi, Argentina come up short again
- England claims bronze medal after defeating Germany 1-0
- Woman suing Marlins after mascot 'shark attack'
- Sources: Clippers coach Doc Rivers to talk to JaVale McGee, Amar'e Stoudemire
- Jets owner Woody Johnson's $1 million gift gives houses to wounded vets
- Sources: LaMarcus Aldridge to sign $80 million contract with Spurs
- Sources: Rajon Rondo to sign one-year contract with Kings