Landis leads Gardner-Webb to 71-59 win over DePaulThursday, Nov 15, 2012
ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP)—Max Landis scored a career-high 20 points and Kevin Hartley added 16 points and 12 rebounds to lead Gardner-Webb to a 71-59 upset win over DePaul in the first round of the Cancun Challenge on Thursday night.
Gardner-Webb (2-2) got its first win against a Big East school, albeit against DePaul, which has managed to win just five conference games in the past four seasons.
Gardner-Webb blew open a close game after halftime. Cleveland Melvin’s basket got the Blue Demons (1-1) within 41-33 early in the second half, but the Runnin’ Bulldogs answered with a 12-4 run to get the lead up to 16. Landis hit a 3-pointer and Donta Harper finished a missed layup with a dunk to put Gardner-Webb up 53-37 with 12:58 left.
Harper finished with 13 points and eight rebounds for Gardner-Webb. Melvin had 18 points and Brandon Young added 10 for DePaul.
- Cavs' Irving held out of Game 2 with sore left knee
- Red Sox call up Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Kyrie Irving (left knee tendinitis) out for Hawks-Cavaliers Game 2
- Warriors-Rockets Preview
- NFL denies NFLPA request for Goodell recusal in Brady appeal
- Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao pass all drug tests
- With no NFL interest, Michael Sam will play in the CFL
- Looking ahead to Game 2: Atlanta vs. Cleveland
- Garcia scratched from White Sox's lineup with swollen knee
- Rays' minor league team cancels 'A-Rod Juice Box' promotion
- North Carolina beats Duke 16-7 in NCAA lacrosse semis
- UNC basketball’s biggest threat to title hopes could be postseason ban
- Lakers GM: Kobe Bryant could retire after next season
- Will Smith suspended eight games by MLB for foreign substance on his arm
- Which of the three 'Hard Knocks' candidates would be the best choice?
- Brewers' Will Smith tossed for having foreign substance on his arm