Landis leads Gardner-Webb to 71-59 win over DePaulThursday, Nov 15, 2012
ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP)—Max Landis scored a career-high 20 points and Kevin Hartley added 16 points and 12 rebounds to lead Gardner-Webb to a 71-59 upset win over DePaul in the first round of the Cancun Challenge on Thursday night.
Gardner-Webb (2-2) got its first win against a Big East school, albeit against DePaul, which has managed to win just five conference games in the past four seasons.
Gardner-Webb blew open a close game after halftime. Cleveland Melvin’s basket got the Blue Demons (1-1) within 41-33 early in the second half, but the Runnin’ Bulldogs answered with a 12-4 run to get the lead up to 16. Landis hit a 3-pointer and Donta Harper finished a missed layup with a dunk to put Gardner-Webb up 53-37 with 12:58 left.
Harper finished with 13 points and eight rebounds for Gardner-Webb. Melvin had 18 points and Brandon Young added 10 for DePaul.
- NFL Live Blog: Follow Week 12 action with the Shutdown Corner team
- Georgia fires coach Mark Richt after 15 seasons
- How Nick Saban's dominance impacted coaching futures of Mark Richt, Les Miles
- Tom Brady wrangles Broncos in new Facebook pic
- The Catch, Part II? Odell Beckham Jr. makes another circus catch
- On Vin Scully's 88th birthday, enjoy our favorite Vin moments from 2015
- Report: $110 million deal pending between Jordan Zimmermann, Tigers
- Scoring change gives BYU star NCAA's career triple-double record
- Oklahoma moves to No. 3 in AP poll
- After 1-5 start, the Chiefs are now in the driver's seat for a wild card
- Texans' J.J. Watt, reaching 70-mark, on insane sack pace at age 26
- Anthony Rizzo forms strong bond with teen battling cancer
- Eli Manning's horrendous game makes NFC East even murkier
- Forde's Fab Four: Where normalcy finally reigns
- Matt Campbell named coach at Iowa State
- Virginia Tech makes Justin Fuente hire official