Landis leads Gardner-Webb to 71-59 win over DePaulThursday, Nov 15, 2012
ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP)—Max Landis scored a career-high 20 points and Kevin Hartley added 16 points and 12 rebounds to lead Gardner-Webb to a 71-59 upset win over DePaul in the first round of the Cancun Challenge on Thursday night.
Gardner-Webb (2-2) got its first win against a Big East school, albeit against DePaul, which has managed to win just five conference games in the past four seasons.
Gardner-Webb blew open a close game after halftime. Cleveland Melvin’s basket got the Blue Demons (1-1) within 41-33 early in the second half, but the Runnin’ Bulldogs answered with a 12-4 run to get the lead up to 16. Landis hit a 3-pointer and Donta Harper finished a missed layup with a dunk to put Gardner-Webb up 53-37 with 12:58 left.
Harper finished with 13 points and eight rebounds for Gardner-Webb. Melvin had 18 points and Brandon Young added 10 for DePaul.
- The Pirates pitcher who succeeds by not throwing strikes
- Minnesota RB Rodrick Williams Jr. takes his lizard for walks
- Al Arbour tributes; Mike Richards vs. the law; Canadian government's hockey auction (Puck Headlines)
- Nelson Cruz is putting up MVP type numbers, but he couldn't care less
- Arkansas 4-star TE C.J. O'Grady arrested for DWI
- Should colleges fine players? (podcast)
- Louisville announces $55 million stadium expansion (Photos)
- Hall of Fame New York Islanders coach Al Arbour dies at age 82
- Illinois fires coach Tim Beckman after it confirms allegations of player abuse
- Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB over how his career ended
- Steelers over 8.5 wins? Dolphins win the AFC East? Vegas' best NFL bets
- Ezekiel Elliott applies for trademark of 'Zeke's Crop Top Bar and Grill'
- This fight encapsulates everything that is wrong with pro boxing
- Four takeaways from the newly released Big Ten schedule
- Dunk History: Blake Griffin defines 'Mozgov,' picks up Stoudemire's mantle
- Puck Daddy's Summer Series: The Vancouver Canucks from A to Zed