With the win, Pittsburgh (2-0) advances to the semifinal round of the NIT Season Tip-Off.
Points were divvied up among several Panthers.
Steve Adams, the Preseason Big East Rookie of the Year, had an impressive game with 13 points and five rebounds. Trey Woodall was not far behind with 12 points.
Bryan Smith led the scoring effort for Fordham (0-2) with 11 points and three rebounds, and was 4 of 9 on 3-point tries. The Rams shot 40 percent (6 of 15) from beyond the arc.
But those 3-pointers could only do so much for the Rams.
The Panthers man-to-man defense slowed down the Fordham 3-pointers in the second half as Pittsburgh took control of the game with fast-paced drives down the court.
The Rams kept it close in the first fifteen minutes of the game, pulling the gap to 18-15 before the Panthers ran away with it.
In the first half, Fordham’s zone defense challenged Pittsburgh inside the paint and forced the Panthers to do a lot of outside shooting. Pittsburgh adjusted at the half, and finished the game with a 42-12 advantage in points from the paint.
The Panthers’ Talib Zanna, who had a career-high 20 points last game against Mt. Saint Mary’s, was held scoreless in the first half and finished with eight points.
The Panthers also played without sophomore John Johnson and will be without him for the rest of the season. The university announced before the game that he is transferring to another school.
- Ledecky shocked after improving 1,500 world record in heats
- Ledecky sets 1500 meters freestyle world record
- Katie Ledecky improves her own swimming world record in 1,500-meter freestyle to 15:27.71
- Bills OL coach Aaron Kromer suspended six games for assault arrest
- One of Chip Kelly's biggest problems with Eagles: culture shock
- Tiger Woods closes Quicken Loans National with modest 68
- The NBA's all-time starting five: Los Angeles Lakers
- Sam Bradford looks healthy, on track to start Eagles' preseason opener
- Faroese soccer success steals limelight from Joensen
- US teen Ledecky improves her own world record in 1,500 free
- Key Olympic powerbroker urges U.S. bid for 2024
- Justin Upton struck out four times ... on just 12 pitches
- The Blue Jays and Royals do not like each other after near brawl
- Matt Kenseth wins nutty Pocono race on fuel mileage
- Four impact players who could still be traded in August
- It's time to include Ronda Rousey in the 'Greatest of All Time' conversation