DOVER, Del. (AP)—Tahj Tate led five players in double figures with 16 points as Delaware State defeated Division III Gwynedd-Mercy 74-56 Saturday in the season opener for the Hornets.
Amere May had 14 points, Casey Walker 13, Marques Oliver recorded a double-double (11 points, 10 rebounds) and Miles Bowman chipped in 10.
Oliver also tallied seven of Delaware State’s 10 blocks.
Frank Champion scored 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for Gwynedd-Mercy, which treated the game as an exhibition match.
Delaware State outscored the Griffins 37-27 in the first half and continued that pace after halftime, pushing its lead to as much as 22 points, 69-47, with 3:54 left to play.
Gwynedd-Mercy scored the first basket of the game but never again led after that point.
The Hornets outrebounded Gwynedd-Mercy 42-38 and forced the Griffins to commit 19 turnovers.
- Tuesday Sports In Brief
- Special feelings for families involved in inductions
- The brain or a game, former player Utecht asks
- Welington Castillo ate Beef Wellington for the first time, because why not?
- Bills coach Rex Ryan: Ronda Rousey 'might be the baddest person on the planet'
- Robin Ventura lost a fight 22 years ago, but he won some respect
- It's Floyd Mayweather's show and he's going to do what he wants
- Hall of Fame profile: Raiders WR Tim Brown
- Orioles-Athletics Preview
- Semien homers to push A's past O's 5-0
- Is Chip Kelly a racist? Nick Foles weighs in on his former head coach
- Why Dave Dombrowski deserves to get paid more like a player than a typical GM
- In appeal testimony, Tom Brady maintained complete innocence
- NHL deal with MLB Advanced Media pushes hockey tech to the future
- Joe Flacco brushes off revolving door of Ravens offensive coordinators
- Rapid React: Arian Foster injures groin, Captain Obvious says "Told you so!"