DOVER, Del. (AP)—Tahj Tate led five players in double figures with 16 points as Delaware State defeated Division III Gwynedd-Mercy 74-56 Saturday in the season opener for the Hornets.
Amere May had 14 points, Casey Walker 13, Marques Oliver recorded a double-double (11 points, 10 rebounds) and Miles Bowman chipped in 10.
Oliver also tallied seven of Delaware State’s 10 blocks.
Frank Champion scored 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for Gwynedd-Mercy, which treated the game as an exhibition match.
Delaware State outscored the Griffins 37-27 in the first half and continued that pace after halftime, pushing its lead to as much as 22 points, 69-47, with 3:54 left to play.
Gwynedd-Mercy scored the first basket of the game but never again led after that point.
The Hornets outrebounded Gwynedd-Mercy 42-38 and forced the Griffins to commit 19 turnovers.
- Milan Lucic dreams of playing for Canucks (after LA Kings Cup run)
- RG3's potential teams after Redskins exit: 4 bad fits, 1 ideal landing spot
- U.S. Open: Serena Williams advances to second round
- DeAndre Jordan leaves agent Dan Fegan after controversial summer
- Kevin Kiermaier proves he can fly, robs Manny Machado of a home run
- Kris Tamulis wins Yokohama Tire LPGA Classic for breakthrough after 186 starts
- Dicky Pride carried motivational note predicting Web.com Tour win
- Greyson Lambert named Georgia's starting QB
- David Ortiz inches closer to milestone with home run No. 495
- U.S. Open: Rafa, Djokovic breeze through first round
- Daughter of Bills, Sabres owner wins U.S. Open debut
- Brandon Harris named LSU's starting quarterback
- Trent Richardson's NFL career on life support after Raiders cut him
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson to solidify outfield depth for stretch run
- Witness: Daly stopped breathing for 3 minutes after collapse