DOVER, Del. (AP)—Tahj Tate led five players in double figures with 16 points as Delaware State defeated Division III Gwynedd-Mercy 74-56 Saturday in the season opener for the Hornets.
Amere May had 14 points, Casey Walker 13, Marques Oliver recorded a double-double (11 points, 10 rebounds) and Miles Bowman chipped in 10.
Oliver also tallied seven of Delaware State’s 10 blocks.
Frank Champion scored 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for Gwynedd-Mercy, which treated the game as an exhibition match.
Delaware State outscored the Griffins 37-27 in the first half and continued that pace after halftime, pushing its lead to as much as 22 points, 69-47, with 3:54 left to play.
Gwynedd-Mercy scored the first basket of the game but never again led after that point.
The Hornets outrebounded Gwynedd-Mercy 42-38 and forced the Griffins to commit 19 turnovers.
- Twins' Santana reinstated from suspension, will start Sunday
- Woman suing Marlins after mascot 'shark attack'
- Sources: Doc Rivers planning to talk to JaVale McGee about Clippers' center job
- Jets owner Woody Johnson's $1 million gift gives houses to wounded vets
- Sources: LaMarcus Aldridge to sign $80 million contract with Spurs
- Anibal Sanchez dominates Blue Jays, but Tigers lose Miguel Cabrera to injury
- Rajon Rondo gets a shot to rebuild his reputation with the ever-confusing Kings
- Source: Richard Jefferson returning to Mavericks
- Wimbledon Saturday: American Madison Keys reaches fourth round
- LaMarcus Aldridge solidifies Spurs' contender status, eases transition to future
- Sources: Bismack Biyombo agrees to contract with Raptors
- Bryce Harper homers using star-spangled bat on Fourth of July
- Miguel Cabrera makes first career trip to DL with strained left calf
- Veteran relievers Joba Chamberlain, Neftali Feliz designated for assignment
- Sources: Rajon Rondo to sign one-year contract with Kings
- Source: DeAndre Jordan agrees to $80 million deal with Mavericks