DOVER, Del. (AP)—Tahj Tate led five players in double figures with 16 points as Delaware State defeated Division III Gwynedd-Mercy 74-56 Saturday in the season opener for the Hornets.
Amere May had 14 points, Casey Walker 13, Marques Oliver recorded a double-double (11 points, 10 rebounds) and Miles Bowman chipped in 10.
Oliver also tallied seven of Delaware State’s 10 blocks.
Frank Champion scored 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for Gwynedd-Mercy, which treated the game as an exhibition match.
Delaware State outscored the Griffins 37-27 in the first half and continued that pace after halftime, pushing its lead to as much as 22 points, 69-47, with 3:54 left to play.
Gwynedd-Mercy scored the first basket of the game but never again led after that point.
The Hornets outrebounded Gwynedd-Mercy 42-38 and forced the Griffins to commit 19 turnovers.
- Kershaw doesn't fight Mattingly's fateful move in another playoff defeat – 'I put myself in that spot'
- The most awful beautiful swing helped the Royals even their series with the Astros
- NLDS Game 1: John Lackey silences Cubs bats as Cardinals win 4-0
- ALDS Game 2: Rangers take 2-0 lead after controversial 14-inning win
- Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch ruled out for Sunday's game at Bengals
- Prince Fielder celebrates Rangers ALDS win by tumbling out of the dugout
- BDL's 2015-16 NBA Season Previews: Washington Wizards
- BDL’s 2015-16 NBA Season Previews: Sacramento Kings
- NLDS Game 1: Mets win as Jacob deGrom tops Clayton Kershaw in K duel
- Controversial call indicative of Blue Jays' Game 2 loss, it was a matter of inches
- ALDS Game 2: Royals rally after early deficit, even series with the Astros
- Colby Rasmus continues postseason tear with third homer in three games
- Shannon Sharpe rips Antonio Gates over PED suspension
- Marshall DL Jarquez Samuel swan dives into end zone for TD (Video)
- Baylor, TCU ADs address recent vandalism on both campuses (Photos)
- Cardinals fan taunts the Cubs with 'Mount Chokemore' painting