DOVER, Del. (AP)—Tahj Tate led five players in double figures with 16 points as Delaware State defeated Division III Gwynedd-Mercy 74-56 Saturday in the season opener for the Hornets.
Amere May had 14 points, Casey Walker 13, Marques Oliver recorded a double-double (11 points, 10 rebounds) and Miles Bowman chipped in 10.
Oliver also tallied seven of Delaware State’s 10 blocks.
Frank Champion scored 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for Gwynedd-Mercy, which treated the game as an exhibition match.
Delaware State outscored the Griffins 37-27 in the first half and continued that pace after halftime, pushing its lead to as much as 22 points, 69-47, with 3:54 left to play.
Gwynedd-Mercy scored the first basket of the game but never again led after that point.
The Hornets outrebounded Gwynedd-Mercy 42-38 and forced the Griffins to commit 19 turnovers.
- Reports: Justin Fuente named successor to Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech
- Greg Cosell's Look Ahead: Broncos have new-look offense for new QB
- Brandon Dubinsky suspended 1 game for cross-check on Sidney Crosby (Video)
- Illinois announces two-year deal to make Bill Cubit its head coach
- Miami PD considers Yasiel Puig case closed, Dodgers decline to comment
- Week 12 Injury Wrap: New running backs for Chiefs, Falcons
- If Notre Dame doesn't make the College Football Playoff, don't blame its independent status
- Stedman Bailey expected to survive, according to Rams coach Jeff Fisher
- Report: Jimbo Fisher tells FSU administration he has no desire to leave
- Warriors drain franchise-record 22 3-pointers, torch Suns, improve to 17-0
- Report: Marlins fired broadcaster Tommy Hutton for being 'too negative'
- Deep-sixed: 76ers set U.S. record for consecutive defeats with loss to Rockets
- Tulane fires Curtis Johnson after second straight 3-9 season
- Arizona's first loss should serve as an early reality check
- Iowa holds off Nebraska 28-20, finishes regular season undefeated