DOVER, Del. (AP)—Tahj Tate led five players in double figures with 16 points as Delaware State defeated Division III Gwynedd-Mercy 74-56 Saturday in the season opener for the Hornets.
Amere May had 14 points, Casey Walker 13, Marques Oliver recorded a double-double (11 points, 10 rebounds) and Miles Bowman chipped in 10.
Oliver also tallied seven of Delaware State’s 10 blocks.
Frank Champion scored 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for Gwynedd-Mercy, which treated the game as an exhibition match.
Delaware State outscored the Griffins 37-27 in the first half and continued that pace after halftime, pushing its lead to as much as 22 points, 69-47, with 3:54 left to play.
Gwynedd-Mercy scored the first basket of the game but never again led after that point.
The Hornets outrebounded Gwynedd-Mercy 42-38 and forced the Griffins to commit 19 turnovers.
- Hamilton takes Monaco GP pole position ahead of Rosberg
- French driver Grosjean hit with 5-place Monaco grid penalty
- Chinese in mid-Atlantic fight to cut Emiratis' lead
- Dominant LeBron's near-triple-double leads Kyrie-less Cavs to 2-0 lead over Hawks
- Hawks' DeMarre Carroll (left knee sprain) to start Game 2 vs. Cavaliers
- UNC basketball’s biggest threat to title hopes could be postseason ban
- Lakers GM: Kobe Bryant could retire after next season
- Will Smith suspended eight games by MLB for foreign substance on his arm
- Jimenez lands European record 10th hole in one
- Hamilton keeps the big picture in mind
- Cubs-Diamondbacks Preview
- Rick Nash scores twice as Rangers even series with Lightning
- Kyrie Irving (left knee tendinitis) out for Hawks-Cavaliers Game 2
- NFL denies NFLPA request for Goodell recusal in Brady appeal
- Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao pass all drug tests
- With no NFL interest, Michael Sam will play in the CFL