CHICAGO (AP)—Brandon Young scored 20 points and Cleveland Melvin added 16 as DePaul opened its 90th season of basketball with a 91-59 victory over UC-Riverside on Friday night.
Playing a rare game at on-campus McGrath-Phillips Arena, the Blue Demons pulled away in the second half, as they turned a 10-point halftime lead into a 24-point advantage with 12:08 showing in the second.
The Highlanders never got closer than 18 while the Blue Demons’ lead topped 30 points with a late 3-pointer from Stuart Pirri as reserves closed out the game.
Josh Fox scored 17 points while Austin Quick added 15 for UC-Riverside. Robert Smith, the Highlanders’ top returning scorer, closed with nine. He sat out much of the second half with a leg injury.
- Matt Hasselbeck, other aging stars come to Colts' rescue against Texans
- Tony Parker: I want to play 20 seasons with the Spurs
- Texans' QB mess: Benched Ryan Mallett pouts, Brian Hoyer folds late
- Everything goes wrong for Blue Jays in Game 1 of ALDS
- Union and NBA working to fund cardiac screenings for ex-players
- Pete Rose criticizes Blue Jays players for not playing through playoff injuries
- Jury begins deliberations in Thabo Sefolosha-NYPD trial
- ALDS Game 1: Rangers bats get to Blue Jays ace David Price in 5-3 win
- The Kansas City Royals are in deep trouble after a Game 1 loss to Houston
- Washington upsets USC 17-12 to end Trojans playoff hopes
- ALDS Game 1: Astros offense jumps on Royals early in 5-2 win
- Learn their names: Rangers announce their postseason presence with ALDS Game 1 win
- NLDS preview: Cubs and Cardinals prep for first-ever postseason clash
- Sources: Jazz forward Trevor Booker suspended one game by NBA
- More alleged details emerge in the reported Matt Barnes and Derek Fisher altercation
- BDL's 2015-16 NBA Season Previews: Phoenix Suns