CHICAGO (AP)—Brandon Young scored 20 points and Cleveland Melvin added 16 as DePaul opened its 90th season of basketball with a 91-59 victory over UC-Riverside on Friday night.
Playing a rare game at on-campus McGrath-Phillips Arena, the Blue Demons pulled away in the second half, as they turned a 10-point halftime lead into a 24-point advantage with 12:08 showing in the second.
The Highlanders never got closer than 18 while the Blue Demons’ lead topped 30 points with a late 3-pointer from Stuart Pirri as reserves closed out the game.
Josh Fox scored 17 points while Austin Quick added 15 for UC-Riverside. Robert Smith, the Highlanders’ top returning scorer, closed with nine. He sat out much of the second half with a leg injury.
- Correction: Hall of Fame Inductions story
- Cardinals name woman to training camp coach position
- Dragic not expected to play for Slovenia this summer
- Seau lawyer: family won't disrupt Hall of Fame ceremonies
- Mets going in? New York picks up Tyler Clippard from Athletics
- WATCH: Cardale Jones, other Buckeyes get scared in dummy prank
- Yahoo Sports' trade deadline tracker: Follow the latest MLB news and rumors
- NFL's latest deflate-gate move could make its punishment of Tom Brady, Pats laughable
- Saints add 2 players after formally releasing Galette
- Seattle believes struggling Rodney tipping pitches
- Arizona Cardinals hire NFL's first-ever female coaching intern
- Seau family not happy Hall of Fame preventing Sydney from speaking
- Ready to sell? Red Sox make first move, deal Shane Victorino to Angels
- The big problem with Didier Drogba joining the Montreal Impact and MLS
- Boston out of running for 2024 Summer Olympic Games bid
- Shutdown Countdown: Eagles riding the Chip Kelly experiment