Williams’ game-winner came after Connor Frizelle’s 3-pointer had given Rice a 60-58 lead with 8 seconds left. Frizelle, who scored 17 points, had eight of the Owls’ nine points in overtime.
Cameron Moore led UAB (6-11, 1-3 Conference USA) with 22 points and 15 rebounds. Preston Purifoy added 18 points for the Blazers, who snapped a four-game losing streak.
Dylan Ennis scored 13 points for the Owls (11-8, 2-2), including a layup with 36 seconds left in regulation that tied the game at 51 and forced overtime.
Rice led 39-22 early in the second half and was still ahead 47-37 with 9:15 left in the game. But the Blazers scored 11 straight points to take the lead and were ahead 51-49 before Ennis’ game-tying shot.
- New world order? Big 12 in era of upheaval as Texas, Oklahoma take back seat
- Draft sleeper Ameer Abdullah gives Lions long-awaited multi-threat RB
- Yankees explode for 20 runs in win over Braves
- Jake Arrieta tosses first career no-hitter against the Dodgers
- Report: Indians Mark Shapiro to become new Blue Jays president
- Japan rallies, scores 18 runs to win Little League World Series
- John Daly played golf the day after he suffered a collapsed lung
- Scott Dixon wins IndyCar title by winning at Sonoma
- 10 Degrees: The postseason contenders, ranked from easiest schedule to hardest
- Jake Arrieta's no-hitter continues his transformation into one of baseball's best pitchers
- U.S. Open: Despite rapid decline, Nadal headlines Day 1
- Maria Sharapova withdraws from U.S. Open
- Roger Goodell, NFL could get favorable deflate-gate ruling yet still lose
- Jason Day wins The Barclays by six shots to take FedEx Cup lead
- Stephen Curry tapes daughter Riley's ankles in preparation for the new season
- Loudest grunters in women's tennis