Bernard James had 17 points and six rebounds and Okaro White added 13 points as the Seminoles (12-6, 3-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) used a 21-3 second-half run to pull away.
Terrell Stoglin, the ACC’s scoring leader, had 27 points and Nick Faust added 10 points for Maryland (12-5, 2-2).
Maryland led 42-40 with 17:25 left in the game, but Deividas Dulkys keyed Florida State’s big run with a pair of 3-pointers as the Seminoles grabbed a comfortable 61-45 lead with 12:39 to go.
Florida State has won three straight ACC games after opening the conference schedule with a 20-point loss at Clemson on Jan. 7. The Seminoles have also won four of five games overall.
The Terrapins had won nine of their last 10 coming into Tuesday. Maryland has now lost its last two road games, including a defeat at North Carolina State on Jan. 8.
Florida State made 20 of 23 shots (87 percent) from the free-throw line. Maryland made just 17 of 27 shots (63 percent).
Luke Loucks had nine points and and six assists for the Seminoles. Florida State had 12 assists and a season-low nine turnovers—the first time this season the Seminoles have had a positive assist-to-turnover ratio.
James had 11 points and six rebounds as Florida State led 36-33 at the half.
Both teams shot well from the floor. Florida State made 47.5 percent of its baskets (29 of 61) compared to 50 percent (24 of 48) for Maryland.
- Warriors outlast Jazz in tough win, move to 19-0
- Browns find a new low, lose on a blocked field goal for a touchdown
- Peyton Manning on path of legends who had inglorious ends to careers
- Three losses to unranked foes raise familiar questions about LSU
- Report: Interim coach Luke Walton might get credit for Warriors' wins, after all
- Why Kobe Bryant decided it was time to retire
- Five-win Missouri says it will not pursue a bowl inivite
- MLB players get record postseason payout of $69 million
- Question for the committee: Does Clemson deserve to make playoff even if it loses Saturday?
- As Kobe returns home, his old coach urges Philadelphia to give him proper sendoff
- KD decries media criticism of Kobe: 'They never got players and how we work'
- 10 observations from NFL's Week 12
- Toronto's Garret Sparks gets emotional after shutout in NHL debut (Video)
- Report: Barry Bonds could be the Marlins' next hitting coach
- Hot Stove Digest: Jim Johnson returns to Braves on a one-year deal