Bernard James had 17 points and six rebounds and Okaro White added 13 points as the Seminoles (12-6, 3-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) used a 21-3 second-half run to pull away.
Terrell Stoglin, the ACC’s scoring leader, had 27 points and Nick Faust added 10 points for Maryland (12-5, 2-2).
Maryland led 42-40 with 17:25 left in the game, but Deividas Dulkys keyed Florida State’s big run with a pair of 3-pointers as the Seminoles grabbed a comfortable 61-45 lead with 12:39 to go.
Florida State has won three straight ACC games after opening the conference schedule with a 20-point loss at Clemson on Jan. 7. The Seminoles have also won four of five games overall.
The Terrapins had won nine of their last 10 coming into Tuesday. Maryland has now lost its last two road games, including a defeat at North Carolina State on Jan. 8.
Florida State made 20 of 23 shots (87 percent) from the free-throw line. Maryland made just 17 of 27 shots (63 percent).
Luke Loucks had nine points and and six assists for the Seminoles. Florida State had 12 assists and a season-low nine turnovers—the first time this season the Seminoles have had a positive assist-to-turnover ratio.
James had 11 points and six rebounds as Florida State led 36-33 at the half.
Both teams shot well from the floor. Florida State made 47.5 percent of its baskets (29 of 61) compared to 50 percent (24 of 48) for Maryland.
- Matt Wieters hits home run thanks to unintentional assist from Ben Revere
- Ciao Bella: Rafael Nadal knocked out of U.S. Open in third round
- Follow college football's opening weekend live on Yahoo Sports
- Michigan State holds off Western Michigan in 37-24 road win
- Tom Brady issues statement: 'To a large degree, we have all lost'
- Serena Williams survives third-round scare
- WMU coach P.J. Fleck shows off his speed on 100-yard return TD
- George Springer is back and ready for battle in UConn football helmet
- Boise State holds off Washington 16-13 to spoil Chris Petersen's return
- Chris Davis goes deep twice, becomes first to reach 40 homers in Orioles win
- Addison Russell homers twice, makes history in Cubs blowout win
- Baylor scores 8 TDs to cruise past SMU
- Five for Friday: Top shots from first round of Deutsche Bank Championship
- Royals fans work together to secure slippery foul ball
- Top 5 college football kickoff games of all time