Young scored the game’s last seven points for the Blue Demons (10-4, 1-1 Big East) after Pitt (11-5, 0-3) held an 81-77 lead with 17.2 seconds remaining. Young’s layup cut the Panthers’ lead to two points; then Pitt’s Isaiah Epps missed two free throws.
Young drove through the Panthers’ defense for a basket and he was fouled with 1.3 seconds left. He made the free throw for a one-point lead, then Pitt threw the inbounds pass away. Young was fouled and made two more free throws.
Cleveland Melvin scored 20 points and Moses Morgan added 13 for DePaul, which before Thursday had won just two regular-season Big East games since 2008-09.
Talib Zanna had 16 points and eight rebounds and Ashton Gibbs finished with 13 points for Pittsburgh.
- NBA Playoff Picture Update: Birthday boy Brook Lopez keeps Nets on top in race for 8th
- James Harden scores 51 to lead Rockets over Kings, Cousins
- UConn women's coach Geno Auriemma on men's game: 'It's a joke.'
- Holy moly: Wrigley Field has a Jumbotron now
- Aaron Hernandez chain smoked marijuana, never failed NFL drug test
- Boston Marathon opens new 'front door' on Boylston Street
- Anthony Davis scores 20 as Pelicans rout Lakers 113-92
- Paul scores 41, Clippers rally to beat Blazers 126-122
- Chris Paul's 41 points, 17 assists help Clippers to big comeback over Blazers
- Gregg Marshall gets pay bump, stays at Wichita State after brief Alabama courtship
- Cowboys restructure Tony Romo's deal; could it pave way for Adrian Peterson?
- Witness not allowed to tell jury about the time Aaron Hernandez allegedly shot him in the face
- Kelly Oubre enters NBA draft after one season at Kansas
- LEADING OFF: Matt Harvey makes last spring start for Mets
- Prosecution expected to rest in Aaron Hernandez murder trial
- WAR, FIP, WPA: A look at some of baseball's fancy stats