LAS VEGAS (AP)—Justin Hawkins had 13 points and Chace Stanback added 12 to lead UNLV to a 71-67 win over Nevada, which nearly rallied from an 18-point second-half deficit with 6:36 left in the game on Monday night.
Also for UNLV (2-0), Oscar Bellfield had 11 points as the Rebels have now won six straight in the in-state rivalry.
Guard Deonte Burton led Nevada (0-2) with a career-high 28 points, 20 of which came in the first half. Burton’s 3-pointer from the right sideline with 22 seconds left in the game cut the Rebels’ lead to 68-67.
Anthony Marshall hit 3 of 4 from the free-throw line in the final 15 seconds to seal the Rebels’ win.
Between Marshall’s four free throw attempts, Malik Story, who had 19 points, missed a potential tying 3-pointer from the left sideline with five seconds left.
- Hutchison pitches Blue Jays past White Sox 5-0
- Hamilton hitless in return, Texas wins 6th in a row
- Tigers-Athletics Preview
- Josh Hamilton a little rusty in return to Texas Rangers
- Real Madrid must make bold hire in replacing Carlo Ancelotti
- Royals' Jeremy Guthrie has one of the worst starts in MLB history
- Looking ahead to Game 4: Warriors at Rockets
- War of words: Horford says Dellavedova's 'track record' is clear; LeBron says Delly 'doesn't deserve it'
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview
- Cardinals outlast Diamondbacks 3-2 in 10 innings
- LEADING OFF: Reds skid, Texas rolls, Bradley aims to rebound
- Arnold Schwarzenegger teases Daniel Cormier about belly after his UFC title win
- Greg Cosell's NFL analysis: Jameis Winston landed with a good coordinator
- Chicago Bears look bad, cut Ray McDonald after latest arrest
- This time cramps can't stop LeBron James as he's one step closer to NBA Finals
- Confidence carrying Stamkos as scoring touch returns