LAS VEGAS (AP)—Justin Hawkins had 13 points and Chace Stanback added 12 to lead UNLV to a 71-67 win over Nevada, which nearly rallied from an 18-point second-half deficit with 6:36 left in the game on Monday night.
Also for UNLV (2-0), Oscar Bellfield had 11 points as the Rebels have now won six straight in the in-state rivalry.
Guard Deonte Burton led Nevada (0-2) with a career-high 28 points, 20 of which came in the first half. Burton’s 3-pointer from the right sideline with 22 seconds left in the game cut the Rebels’ lead to 68-67.
Anthony Marshall hit 3 of 4 from the free-throw line in the final 15 seconds to seal the Rebels’ win.
Between Marshall’s four free throw attempts, Malik Story, who had 19 points, missed a potential tying 3-pointer from the left sideline with five seconds left.
- Miami PD considers Yasiel Puig case closed, Dodgers decline to comment
- Week 12 Injury Wrap: New running backs for Chiefs, Falcons
- If Notre Dame doesn't make the College Football Playoff, don't blame its independent status
- Did Les Miles tell boosters Saturday was his last game at LSU?
- Stedman Bailey expected to survive, according to Rams coach Jeff Fisher
- Athletics' Sean Doolittle hosted 17 Syrian refugee families for Thanksgiving
- Jerry West on Draymond Green: 'If he’s not a top-10 player in this league, I don’t know who is'
- NFL against the spread picks: Denver Broncos for the upset
- Tulane fires Curtis Johnson after second straight 3-9 season
- Arizona's first loss should serve as an early reality check
- Iowa holds off Nebraska 28-20, finishes regular season undefeated
- Report: MLB investigating Yasiel Puig's role in Miami nightclub fight
- Houston seals AAC West with 52-31 win over Navy
- Tony Romo done for 2015, will he be a top QB when we see him in 2016?
- Heat focused on forging a legacy after LeBron