LAS VEGAS (AP)—Justin Hawkins had 13 points and Chace Stanback added 12 to lead UNLV to a 71-67 win over Nevada, which nearly rallied from an 18-point second-half deficit with 6:36 left in the game on Monday night.
Also for UNLV (2-0), Oscar Bellfield had 11 points as the Rebels have now won six straight in the in-state rivalry.
Guard Deonte Burton led Nevada (0-2) with a career-high 28 points, 20 of which came in the first half. Burton’s 3-pointer from the right sideline with 22 seconds left in the game cut the Rebels’ lead to 68-67.
Anthony Marshall hit 3 of 4 from the free-throw line in the final 15 seconds to seal the Rebels’ win.
Between Marshall’s four free throw attempts, Malik Story, who had 19 points, missed a potential tying 3-pointer from the left sideline with five seconds left.
- Tim Beckman: 'I will vigorously defend both my reputation and my legal rights'
- LSU OC Cam Cameron given 'clean bill of health' after cancer diagnosis
- Devin Setoguchi comes to Maple Leafs with right attitude after 'wrong turn'
- Why is Major League Baseball waiting to address fan safety?
- Perry Hills named starting quarterback at Maryland