LAS VEGAS (AP)—Justin Hawkins had 13 points and Chace Stanback added 12 to lead UNLV to a 71-67 win over Nevada, which nearly rallied from an 18-point second-half deficit with 6:36 left in the game on Monday night.
Also for UNLV (2-0), Oscar Bellfield had 11 points as the Rebels have now won six straight in the in-state rivalry.
Guard Deonte Burton led Nevada (0-2) with a career-high 28 points, 20 of which came in the first half. Burton’s 3-pointer from the right sideline with 22 seconds left in the game cut the Rebels’ lead to 68-67.
Anthony Marshall hit 3 of 4 from the free-throw line in the final 15 seconds to seal the Rebels’ win.
Between Marshall’s four free throw attempts, Malik Story, who had 19 points, missed a potential tying 3-pointer from the left sideline with five seconds left.
- Platini to stand for FIFA presidency
- Boston to blame for Olympic bid flop, says IOC's Bach
- Kang's homer sends Pirates to 8-7 win over Twins
- How NBA champ Festus Ezeli fell into basketball after emigrating from Nigeria at 14
- Eric Berry, diagnosed with cancer last year, cleared to practice with Chiefs
- Angels revamp OF depth by acquiring David Murphy and David DeJesus
- Sources: Nationals land closer Jonathan Papelbon
- Patriots and Tom Brady's agent not happy with Roger Goodell
- Michel Platini says he will run to succeed Sepp Blatter as FIFA president
- Booing has Australian footballer Goodes considering quitting
- Yahoo Sports' trade deadline tracker: Follow the latest MLB news and rumors
- Mookie Betts' non-catch gives Jose Abreu one of the strangest homers
- LeBron James on how long he'd last against Ronda Rousey: 'As long as she wanted me to last'
- Le'Veon Bell's suspension reduced from three games to two
- How Tom Brady can fight (and overturn) his suspension in court
- Tom Brady's destroyed cell phone is smoking gun that crushed the Patriots superstar