LAS VEGAS (AP)—Justin Hawkins had 13 points and Chace Stanback added 12 to lead UNLV to a 71-67 win over Nevada, which nearly rallied from an 18-point second-half deficit with 6:36 left in the game on Monday night.
Also for UNLV (2-0), Oscar Bellfield had 11 points as the Rebels have now won six straight in the in-state rivalry.
Guard Deonte Burton led Nevada (0-2) with a career-high 28 points, 20 of which came in the first half. Burton’s 3-pointer from the right sideline with 22 seconds left in the game cut the Rebels’ lead to 68-67.
Anthony Marshall hit 3 of 4 from the free-throw line in the final 15 seconds to seal the Rebels’ win.
Between Marshall’s four free throw attempts, Malik Story, who had 19 points, missed a potential tying 3-pointer from the left sideline with five seconds left.
- Epiphanny Prince back with the New York Liberty
- Rollins rallies Dodgers past his old Phillies team, 10-7
- The ridiculous snubbing of Clayton Kershaw and how the MLB All-Star Game lost its way
- Arizona signs 'key building block' Dylan Strome to entry-level contract
- Russell Wilson says he and girlfriend Ciara aren't having sex, and that has people all abuzz
- Your winners and losers from the NBA's 2015 free-agent market
- Spieth: British Open 'dampened' without defending champion McIlroy
- Andrea Pirlo could have the same impact in MLS as David Beckham
- Spearmon set for Beijing return after '08 Olympics misstep
- Braves win 5-3 to end Brewers' 8-game winning streak
- Quarterback De'Andre Johnson dismissed from Florida State
- MLB All-Star pitchers, reserves and final vote candidates announced
- 40 schedule observations for this college football season
- Summer of Spurs rages on: David West to sign in San Antonio for veteran minimum
- Sources: Union proposing to use TV revenue to help fund health insurance for former NBA players
- Robinson Cano says he's been battling a stomach illness for nearly a year