LAS VEGAS (AP)—Justin Hawkins had 13 points and Chace Stanback added 12 to lead UNLV to a 71-67 win over Nevada, which nearly rallied from an 18-point second-half deficit with 6:36 left in the game on Monday night.
Also for UNLV (2-0), Oscar Bellfield had 11 points as the Rebels have now won six straight in the in-state rivalry.
Guard Deonte Burton led Nevada (0-2) with a career-high 28 points, 20 of which came in the first half. Burton’s 3-pointer from the right sideline with 22 seconds left in the game cut the Rebels’ lead to 68-67.
Anthony Marshall hit 3 of 4 from the free-throw line in the final 15 seconds to seal the Rebels’ win.
Between Marshall’s four free throw attempts, Malik Story, who had 19 points, missed a potential tying 3-pointer from the left sideline with five seconds left.
- NFL Power Rankings: Which 4-0 team is most likely to miss the playoffs?
- Angels new GM Billy Eppler believes in analytics ... when used properly
- Source: Hornets' Michael Kidd-Gilchrist likely to miss season because of shoulder surgery
- After 1-3 start, Miami Dolphins fire coach Joe Philbin
- Ronda Rousey to co-anchor SportsCenter on Oct. 7
- Stephen A. Smith responds to Kevin Durant: 'You don’t want to make an enemy out of me'
- George Karl is sorry for saying DeMarcus Cousins was tradable
- Kam Chancellor's huge play saves the struggling Seattle Seahawks
- Officials miss call on Calvin Johnson fumble that costs Lions a potential win
- CC Sabathia enters alcohol rehab, will miss Yankees' postseason
- AL wild card preview: It's youth against experience when Astros meet Yankees
- NHL acknowledges it has a cocaine problem among players
- Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson: 'I might as well just go ahead and retire'
- Cher tweets support for Nick Diaz after his five-year ban for marijuana usage