Maryland cruises past Delaware State 72-54
The victory followed successive defeats against Pittsburgh and Illinois last week at Madison Square Garden. Adrian Bowie scored 11 for the Terrapins (4-2), who finished with a 40-20 rebounding advantage and outscored the Hornets 14-7 at the foul line.
Maryland took the lead for good with just over two minutes elapsed, expanded the margin to 19 at halftime and led by 27 with eight minutes remaining.
Jay Threatt scored 15 for the Hornets (1-1), Desi Washington had 14 and Casey Walker chipped in with 11.
Delaware State trailed by 21 early in the second half before Washington and Walker drilled 3-pointers in a 9-2 spurt that made it 44-30. Maryland’s next six points came at the foul line before Sean Mosley hit a runner for a 52-32 lead.
Soon after that, baskets by Jordan Williams and Tucker sparked a 12-2 surge that put the Terrapins up 64-37. Delaware State went more than four minutes without scoring until Threatt hit a jumper with 6:50 remaining to begin a 10-0 run that whittled the deficit down to 19 points.
Tucker scored 11 and Gregory had 10 points, five rebounds and two assists to help the Terrapins take a 40-21 halftime lead.
Maryland built an early 13-2 rebounding edge and limited the Hornets to 3-for-11 shooting going up 17-10. The gap might have been broader had not the Terrapins committed seven turnovers, including four by Mosley.
It was 22-14 before Tucker hit a follow-shot and a 3-pointer in a 12-0 run that put the Terps ahead by 20.
- Marek Vs. Wyshynski Podcast: Islanders architect Bill Torrey on Al Arbour
- Yahoo Fantasy Freak Show Podcast
- Coastal Carolina officially joins the Sun Belt (Update)
- Five teams have called Blackhawks about trading for Patrick Kane: Report
- John Harbaugh knows plenty of words that start with F
- Tennessee DE Andrew Butcher arrested for public intoxication
- Tuesdays with Brownie: Yes, the great Vin Scully ‘rages’ on
- Ex-USC LB Morgan Breslin sues school over disability insurance
- Freshman WR packs up and leaves SDSU without telling coaches
- Power rankings: Deutsche Bank Championship
- Winnipeg Jets: Puck Daddy’s 2015-16 NHL Season Preview
- Marshawn Lynch randomly appears on Evine Live to sell Skittles
- Here to stay: MLB rookies set record for most home runs in a month
- Vince Wilfork's fashion statement of overalls with no shirt is spectacular
- Report: George O'Leary wants to become UCF's full-time AD