Maryland cruises past Delaware State 72-54
The victory followed successive defeats against Pittsburgh and Illinois last week at Madison Square Garden. Adrian Bowie scored 11 for the Terrapins (4-2), who finished with a 40-20 rebounding advantage and outscored the Hornets 14-7 at the foul line.
Maryland took the lead for good with just over two minutes elapsed, expanded the margin to 19 at halftime and led by 27 with eight minutes remaining.
Jay Threatt scored 15 for the Hornets (1-1), Desi Washington had 14 and Casey Walker chipped in with 11.
Delaware State trailed by 21 early in the second half before Washington and Walker drilled 3-pointers in a 9-2 spurt that made it 44-30. Maryland’s next six points came at the foul line before Sean Mosley hit a runner for a 52-32 lead.
Soon after that, baskets by Jordan Williams and Tucker sparked a 12-2 surge that put the Terrapins up 64-37. Delaware State went more than four minutes without scoring until Threatt hit a jumper with 6:50 remaining to begin a 10-0 run that whittled the deficit down to 19 points.
Tucker scored 11 and Gregory had 10 points, five rebounds and two assists to help the Terrapins take a 40-21 halftime lead.
Maryland built an early 13-2 rebounding edge and limited the Hornets to 3-for-11 shooting going up 17-10. The gap might have been broader had not the Terrapins committed seven turnovers, including four by Mosley.
It was 22-14 before Tucker hit a follow-shot and a 3-pointer in a 12-0 run that put the Terps ahead by 20.
- Tulowitzki homers and has 3 hits, Jays beat Phillies 8-2
- Drew Storen doesn't seem too excited about the Jonathan Papelbon deal
- The NBA's all-time starting five: New York Knicks
- Robert Kraft just hoisted a flag signaling that Roger Goodell and the NFL office cannot be trusted
- How Tom Brady and the Patriots walked into Roger Goodell's trap is baffling
- Jim Craig looking to sell 'Miracle on Ice' memorabilia, including gold medal, for $5.7M
- LeBron talks Tristan Thompson's contract, 'Space Jam,' more in Twitter Q&A
- Tom Brady blasts NFL decision to uphold his suspension
- Redskins say 7.8 billion people, more than are on Earth, follow them
- Who advised Tom Brady to destroy his cell phone? NFLPA says it wasn't them
- NFL contacted police to look over Roger Goodell's house after decision
- Shutdown Countdown: Bengals try to get over playoff hump ... again
- Michael Jordan loses out in a Chinese footwear trademark suit
- Report: Marlins sending pitcher Mat Latos, slugger Mike Morse to Dodgers
- Robert Kraft attacks the NFL, apologizes to Patriots fans
- Yahoo Sports' trade deadline tracker: Follow the latest MLB news and rumors