Mercer tops Piedmont 89-63
MACON, Ga. (AP)—James Florence scored 19 points to help Mercer beat Piedmont 89-63 on Friday night.
Daniel Emerson scored 16 points and grabbed 19 rebounds for the Bears (1-0), who shot 50 percent from the field.
Piedmont (0-1) was led by J.C. Herebia, who scored 18 points. Josh Haymore chipped in with 16 points. The Lions shot 36 percent from the field.
The Bears held a 49-38 lead after a 3-pointer by Florence with 14:30 remaining in the contest. Two minutes later, Mark Hall converted a fast break layup, capping a 12-0 run by Mercer.
The game was the two teams’ first meeting since 1997.
- Great white shark thwarts marathon swim in San Francisco Bay
- Sources: Jays agree to trade for ace David Price
- Jerry Colangelo talks Team USA, LeBron and post-Coach K era
- NFL wins first round, as Brady court battle sent to New York
- It doesn't make sense why the NFL sold out Tom Brady
- Three-way deal involving Dodgers, Braves, Marlins still not completed
- Mets' trade for Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez falls apart in bizarre turn of events
- Conor McGregor: Ronda Rousey 'would throw me on my head in literally one second'
- Joey Bosa among four Ohio State players suspended for season opener
- Shutdown Countdown: Can the Arizona Cardinals beat regression?
- William 'Refrigerator' Perry auctioning off Super Bowl XX ring
- Cardinals acquire Brandon Moss from Indians after Matt Holliday injury
- Yahoo Sports' trade deadline tracker: Follow the latest MLB news and rumors
- Sources: Rangers finalizing blockbuster deal for Phillies ace Cole Hamels
- Wilmer Flores plays through tears after learning of impending trade
- Robert Kraft just hoisted a flag signaling that Roger Goodell and the NFL office cannot be trusted