Mercer tops Piedmont 89-63
MACON, Ga. (AP)—James Florence scored 19 points to help Mercer beat Piedmont 89-63 on Friday night.
Daniel Emerson scored 16 points and grabbed 19 rebounds for the Bears (1-0), who shot 50 percent from the field.
Piedmont (0-1) was led by J.C. Herebia, who scored 18 points. Josh Haymore chipped in with 16 points. The Lions shot 36 percent from the field.
The Bears held a 49-38 lead after a 3-pointer by Florence with 14:30 remaining in the contest. Two minutes later, Mark Hall converted a fast break layup, capping a 12-0 run by Mercer.
The game was the two teams’ first meeting since 1997.
- Nocera would swap 14 tour wins for one British Open
- Knicks add Arron Afflalo on 2-year, $16 million deal
- Sources: Omer Asik finalizing $60 million contract with Pelicans
- Sources: Draymond Green agrees to $85 million deal with Warriors
- Paul Pierce gives Clippers another scoring option, championship pedigree
- Winners & Losers on Day 1 of NHL Free Agency
- Angels name Bill Stoneman interim general manager
- CoCo Vandeweghe calls Carmelo Anthony 'soft'
- Hurricanes owner mocks Pittsburgh Penguins for Phil Kessel trade
- Free-agent roundup: Opening days don't get much more hectic
- Sources: Kings trade Nik Stauskas, Carl Landry and Jason Thompson to 76ers in salary dump
- Joey Butler spoils Carlos Carrasco's no-hit bid with two outs in ninth
- Stoppage time own goal sinks England against Japan in World Cup semi
- Sources: Iman Shumpert agrees to $40 million contract with Cavaliers
- The Lakers lost out on LaMarcus Aldridge by being the Lakers
- 2015 NBA free-agency tracker