Mercer tops Piedmont 89-63
MACON, Ga. (AP)—James Florence scored 19 points to help Mercer beat Piedmont 89-63 on Friday night.
Daniel Emerson scored 16 points and grabbed 19 rebounds for the Bears (1-0), who shot 50 percent from the field.
Piedmont (0-1) was led by J.C. Herebia, who scored 18 points. Josh Haymore chipped in with 16 points. The Lions shot 36 percent from the field.
The Bears held a 49-38 lead after a 3-pointer by Florence with 14:30 remaining in the contest. Two minutes later, Mark Hall converted a fast break layup, capping a 12-0 run by Mercer.
The game was the two teams’ first meeting since 1997.
- Browns bench Johnny Manziel after latest partying video surfaces
- LeBron James thinks we should compare great players less, appreciate them more
- Getting older but not fading away: NBA's top stars going extra mile to hold off Father Time
- Baseball's five best free-agent bargains of 2015
- Civilian review board: NYPD had no right to arrest Thabo Sefolosha
- Sources: Tim Lincecum is recovering well, expects to pitch in January showcase
- LeBron James is really leaning into this mustache thing
- Officiating mistakes hurt Patriots early, Bills at the end
- NFL Power Rankings: The Kansas City Chiefs have good shot at history
- Messi, Barcelona continue to entertain with 6-1 rout of Roma (Video)
- Report: MLB could play a series of games in London as early as 2017
- Pau Gasol and Joakim Noah are still trying to find their place on the Bulls
- Referee Gene Steratore's answer for final play in Bills-Patriots is guff
- Carmelo Anthony can travel all he wants, it hardly matters to the new-look Knicks
- South Carolina WR Pharoh Cooper heading to NFL, his father says