Mercer tops Piedmont 89-63
MACON, Ga. (AP)—James Florence scored 19 points to help Mercer beat Piedmont 89-63 on Friday night.
Daniel Emerson scored 16 points and grabbed 19 rebounds for the Bears (1-0), who shot 50 percent from the field.
Piedmont (0-1) was led by J.C. Herebia, who scored 18 points. Josh Haymore chipped in with 16 points. The Lions shot 36 percent from the field.
The Bears held a 49-38 lead after a 3-pointer by Florence with 14:30 remaining in the contest. Two minutes later, Mark Hall converted a fast break layup, capping a 12-0 run by Mercer.
The game was the two teams’ first meeting since 1997.
- Milan Lucic dreams of playing for Canucks (after LA Kings Cup run)
- RG3's potential teams after Redskins exit: 4 bad fits, 1 ideal landing spot
- U.S. Open: Serena Williams advances to second round
- DeAndre Jordan leaves agent Dan Fegan after controversial summer
- Kevin Kiermaier proves he can fly, robs Manny Machado of a home run
- Kris Tamulis wins Yokohama Tire LPGA Classic for breakthrough after 186 starts
- Dicky Pride carried motivational note predicting Web.com Tour win
- Greyson Lambert named Georgia's starting QB
- David Ortiz inches closer to milestone with home run No. 495
- U.S. Open: Rafa, Djokovic breeze through first round
- Daughter of Bills, Sabres owner wins U.S. Open debut
- Brandon Harris named LSU's starting quarterback
- Trent Richardson's NFL career on life support after Raiders cut him
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson to solidify outfield depth for stretch run
- Witness: Daly stopped breathing for 3 minutes after collapse