Nick Soolsma outmuscled a Union defender in the box and fed the ball to Koevermans at the near post. The big Dutch striker’s first attempt bounced off goalie Chris Konopka, but he scored on with his second try.
“It’s a big relief,” said Toronto FC coach Aron Winter. “Finally, other questions for you all.”
Koevermans came into the game in the 62nd minute, his third substitute appearances in four games since returning from a groin injury.
Toronto entered the game off a win against the Vancouver Whitecaps that game the club a fourth straight Voyageurs Cup as Canadian champion. Toronto has a three-week break due to the next round of World Cup qualifiers.
“I’m extremely disappointed with our performance,” said Union coach Peter Nowak. “We had a couple of good games where we played the way we wanted to play and today was completely opposite. Two steps forward and three steps back.”
“I know the first half wasn’t really going our way but at the end of the day we let in a goal in the 88th minute,” he said. “When it gets that deep in the game you try any way you can to grind out a result. It’s frustrating that we didn’t get to do that today.”
Toronto is 1-9-0; Philadelphia is 2-7-2.
- Nishikori, Ivanovic out as U.S. Open starts with major upsets
- The Decade of the No-No: We're seeing the most MLB no-hitters since the '60s
- Stamkos talks loom; Penguins sale slow; Cooke wants a contract (Puck Headlines)
- Roger Goodell, Tom Brady ignore each other; roll dice with deflate-gate judge
- Kirk Cousins is Washington's starting QB 'for 2015, moving forward'
- Tyrone Swoopes named Texas' starting quarterback
- Dunk History: Vince Carter defies gravity, belief in the 2000 Slam Dunk Contest
- The Phoenix Suns reportedly have no plans to deal the disgruntled Markieff Morris
- Now-benched Robert Griffin III featured on Redskins' Week 1 tickets
- College football's top 35 wide receiver groups for 2015
- Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze: Chad Kelly will 'likely' start at QB
- Suddenly famous Tom Brady courthouse sketch artist tries again
- Mark Shapiro a perfect fit at president for forward-looking Blue Jays
- Judge Berman to rule on deflate-gate 'in next day or two' after failed settlement