Nick Soolsma outmuscled a Union defender in the box and fed the ball to Koevermans at the near post. The big Dutch striker’s first attempt bounced off goalie Chris Konopka, but he scored on with his second try.
“It’s a big relief,” said Toronto FC coach Aron Winter. “Finally, other questions for you all.”
Koevermans came into the game in the 62nd minute, his third substitute appearances in four games since returning from a groin injury.
Toronto entered the game off a win against the Vancouver Whitecaps that game the club a fourth straight Voyageurs Cup as Canadian champion. Toronto has a three-week break due to the next round of World Cup qualifiers.
“I’m extremely disappointed with our performance,” said Union coach Peter Nowak. “We had a couple of good games where we played the way we wanted to play and today was completely opposite. Two steps forward and three steps back.”
“I know the first half wasn’t really going our way but at the end of the day we let in a goal in the 88th minute,” he said. “When it gets that deep in the game you try any way you can to grind out a result. It’s frustrating that we didn’t get to do that today.”
Toronto is 1-9-0; Philadelphia is 2-7-2.
- Angels simply, coldly stopped believing in Josh Hamilton
- Where Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao rank among all-time boxing greats
- Shutdown Corner's NFC team-by-team draft needs
- 10 Degrees: Cubs are contenders as rookies thrive amid standout class
- Why in the world did the Redskins pick up RG3's option? Let's explore
- Mad Dash: Rare game-worn Michael Jordan shoes sell for huge price
- Cards ace Adam Wainwright out for season with torn Achilles
- Denver Broncos' O-line makeover isn't finished
- Police issue arrest warrant for Jon Jones after hit-and-run accident
- Sources: Grizzlies need 48 hours to assess Mike Conley’s status after surgery
- Billups: Knicks must add vocal leaders, because 'Melo is 'not that guy'
- Austin Rivers helps save Clippers' season, brings tears to his father's eyes
- Austin Hatch ends playing career, becomes student assistant
- Cavaliers move on without Love, out with dislocated shoulder
- Chiefs could be movers with 10 picks in upcoming draft
- Colts play taking wait-and-watch approach to NFL draft