Nick Soolsma outmuscled a Union defender in the box and fed the ball to Koevermans at the near post. The big Dutch striker’s first attempt bounced off goalie Chris Konopka, but he scored on with his second try.
“It’s a big relief,” said Toronto FC coach Aron Winter. “Finally, other questions for you all.”
Koevermans came into the game in the 62nd minute, his third substitute appearances in four games since returning from a groin injury.
Toronto entered the game off a win against the Vancouver Whitecaps that game the club a fourth straight Voyageurs Cup as Canadian champion. Toronto has a three-week break due to the next round of World Cup qualifiers.
“I’m extremely disappointed with our performance,” said Union coach Peter Nowak. “We had a couple of good games where we played the way we wanted to play and today was completely opposite. Two steps forward and three steps back.”
“I know the first half wasn’t really going our way but at the end of the day we let in a goal in the 88th minute,” he said. “When it gets that deep in the game you try any way you can to grind out a result. It’s frustrating that we didn’t get to do that today.”
Toronto is 1-9-0; Philadelphia is 2-7-2.
- Maurice Jones-Drew calls it a career
- NASCAR: Kurt Busch still suspended despite lack of charges
- Yankees GM says Derek Jeter should be team's last captain
- Neuroscience or NFL? It's both for draft prospect Laken Tomlinson
- Giants TE Larry Donnell OK after his plane skids off runway at LaGuardia
- Kevin Garnett rips Nuggets: 'They quit on Brian Shaw. I thought they'd quit again'
- Kurt Busch won't be criminally charged after domestic assault accusations
- LeBron answers Valanciunas flagrant with huge 4th, pushes Cavs past Raptors
- Sources: Celtics’ talks with JaVale McGee fall through because of contract option
- Chicago student wins $10,000 shooting-contest bet with Bulls' Jimmy Butler
- Why Jose Iglesias may be the happiest Tiger of all
- Patriots fail to pick up Vince Wilfork's option, ending an era
- Report: Chicago Bears trying to shop WR Brandon Marshall
- Greg Cosell's analysis: Breaking down the Eagles-Bills trade
- Adam Sandler, Bob Barker renew their 'Happy Gilmore' feud
- CP3 goes nuts as DeAndre doesn't shoot, Clippers lose to Blazers in OT