Gaven scored from 19 yards in the 9th minute with a low shot inside the left post for Columbus.
The Crew (5-4-3) tied at San Jose on May 19 and beat Seattle on the road Wednesday before improving to 3-0-2 in the past five games in front of 16,024 fans in Crew Stadium.
“It was not the best game for us, but the most important thing is we got a good result,” Crew defender Sebastian Miranda said.
Gaven helped make it 2-0 in the 43rd by passing to a posting Renteria, who shirked defender Austin Berry and put the ball into the left corner.
“I did what the coaches wanted me to do: to hold the ball and turn,” Renteria said.
For the rookie Berry, it was an on-field lesson.
“That was bad positioning on my part,” he said. “He used his body well. He took my out of position. It was a good learning opportunity for me.”
Berry got a measure of revenge when he headed a service by Daniel Paladini in the 72nd minute.
“We started the first half pretty well,” Crew coach Robert Warzycha said. “The second half, they just pushed us in the back and we defended the forwards and the corner kicks.”
“It was a disappointing first half going down two,” Fire captain Logan Pause said. “It was a pretty big hill to climb.”
- Report: David Price agrees to seven-year, $217 million contract with Red Sox
- Greg Cosell's Week 12 Review: How the Broncos knocked off the Patriots
- Forde-Yard Dash: Everything you need to know ahead of championship weekend
- Steve Spurrier wrote an open letter to South Carolina fans
- Warriors outlast Jazz in tough win, move to 19-0
- Browns find a new low, lose on a blocked field goal for a touchdown
- Peyton Manning on path of legends who had inglorious ends to careers
- Three losses to unranked foes raise familiar questions about LSU
- DeMarcus Cousins, Rajon Rondo have 'powerful' recent meeting with Kings coach George Karl
- NBA rules that Luke Walton's only official win with Warriors is Coach of the Month
- Sources: Missouri interviewing head coaching candidates, including Cal's Sonny Dykes
- Question for the committee: Does Clemson deserve to make playoff even if it loses?
- 5 necessities for Cowboys this offseason
- As Kobe returns home, his old coach urges Philadelphia to give him proper sendoff
- KD decries media criticism of Kobe: 'They never got players and how we work'