Tulowitzki homers, drives in two; Rockies win
Tulowitzki homered leading off the second and had a run-scoring fielder’s choice in the third. Todd Helton had an RBI double in the four-run third.
Buster Posey made his first start at first base and threw out a runner at home on a squeeze play. He drove in runs with a double in the first and a single in the fifth.
While the 2010 NL Rookie of the Year isn’t expected to be there much during his return season from season-ending leg and ankle injuries sustained last May 25 in a collision at the plate with the Marlins’ Scott Cousins.
“He feels great,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “He’s coming out of these games with no issues. That’s good news for us. He’s getting more and more comfortable in all facets of the game.”
Juan Nicaso gave up 10 hits and three runs in 5 2-3 innings for Colorado and Travis Blackley gave up a run and four hits in two innings for the Giants.
San Francisco reliever Jeremy Affeldt yielded three hits and two runs for the loss.
Hector Sanchez homered, his fourth, and hit an RBI double for the Giants.
“He can hit, he always has,” Bochy said of Sanchez. “He’s got the ability from both sides and he doesn’t really have a hole. He’s a smart hitter. He knows what he wants to do up there. He’s got a great gift.”
The Giants other squad beat the Reds 6-4 in Goodyear.
- Officials miss call on Calvin Johnson fumble that costs Lions a potential win
- NFL Power Rankings: Which 4-0 team is most likely to miss the playoffs?
- Kam Chancellor's huge play saves the struggling Seattle Seahawks
- CC Sabathia enters alcohol rehab, will miss Yankees' postseason
- AL wild card preview: It's youth against experience when Astros meet Yankees
- NHL acknowledges it has a cocaine problem among players
- Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson: 'I might as well just go ahead and retire'
- Cher tweets support for Nick Diaz after his five-year ban for marijuana usage
- Ranking all 25 of the potential World Series matchups for 2015
- Angels new GM Billy Eppler believes in analytics ... when used properly
- Source: Hornets' Michael Kidd-Gilchrist likely to miss season because of shoulder surgery
- After 1-3 start, Miami Dolphins fire coach Joe Philbin
- Ronda Rousey to co-anchor SportsCenter on Oct. 7
- Stephen A. Smith responds to Kevin Durant: 'You don’t want to make an enemy out of me'
- George Karl is sorry for saying DeMarcus Cousins was tradable