Skip to search.

Buzzing The Net - Junior Hockey

The effect of the Boston Bruins' salary-cap issues on second overall pick Tyler Seguin is not exactly unknown; it's been talked about since since about two weeks after the draft.

Now it could be coming to a head at a convenient time for Team Canada, which has named two fewer players (39, instead of the standard 41) to its Dec. 12-15 selection camp in Toronto.

Update: Financial reality trumps all in the NHL, but Seguin sounds like he would have to get squared away on the concept.

"Seguin doesn't sound interested, not after getting a taste for the NHL through the first quarter of the season.

"The 18-year-old also seemed to be under the impression the Bruins might just return him to his OHL Plymouth Whalers team once the World Junior Tournament was over – but that seems unlikely given that it would involve the Bruins organization burning more than a half-season of Seguin's entry-level contract in Boston.

" 'If they told me to go back, I don't know how I'd feel about it. My goal in juniors was always to be in the NHL,' said Seguin.

" 'Second to that was representing my country and winning a gold medal. So it's always been in my mind But first has always been to be in the NHL, so we'll see what they say. It's hard. Your dream from the time you were a kid was to play in the NHL and win a Stanley Cup. You can't win a Cup if you're not here.' " (CSN New England)

The original report, from ESPN Boston:

"The Bruins may be willing to let Seguin play for his country and achieve a lifelong dream after being skipped over for last year's World Juniors. If the Bruins allow Seguin to go to camp and play in the tournament, his salary would not count against the cap for the time he was away.

"The hope was that Seguin would be a key cog for the Bruins by Dec. 15, when camp starts. While the No. 2 pick in the 2010 draft has shown moments of offensive brilliance, he has struggled with coach Claude Julien’s defensive system and his playing time has been inconsistent as a result. Julien has openly said that at times he isn't comfortable matching Seguin up with opponents' top lines.

"With Marc Savard’s return imminent, the team soon will have five centers. The Bruins have used Seguin on the wing recently and say they have no qualms about doing so for the remainder of the season. But they figure to get winger Marco Sturm back some time in the next few weeks. Sturm said Tuesday there is still no definitive timetable for his return, but when he comes back the Bruins will need to clear between $3.1 million and $3.2 million in cap space, according to capgeek.com." (ESPN Boston)

Speculation to fill the slow time in the middle of a week, or is there fuel to the fire? Rogers Sportsnet's junior hockey guru, Sam Cosentino, leaned toward the latter on Tuesday.

"I think it's legit in that there were 39 players named. I think that Hockey Canada felt pretty strongly that they were going to get at least one guy from the National Hockey League. I think everyone figures it's going to be [Brayden] Schenn [from the Los Angeles Kings], but the salary cap issues in Boston are real. Making that trade [of Daniel Paille on Monday, it's pretty clear that Marc Savard is about ready to go and they need to clear cap space to bring him back.

"Seguin, is a guy who with his rookie contract, is a significant savings if he's not back for those three weeks or even as long as a month." (The Pipeline Show, audio)

There is next to no chance the Plymouth Whalers will ever see their former Ontario Hockey League co-scoring champion again. Of course, Whalers coach-GM Mike Vellucci's team has fared pretty well without Seguin, staying in the thick of a compact Western Conference.

Neate Sager is a writer for Yahoo! Canada Sports. Contact him at neatesager@yahoo.ca and follow him on Twitter @neatebuzzthenet. (Photo: Getty.)

Related Articles

Buzzing The Net

Add to My Yahoo RSS

Related Photo Gallery

Blog Roll

Featured Sports Video