What's Buzzing:

Puck Daddy

Mike Danton denied UK entry visa a second time, cannot play for Coventry Blaze

Sean Leahy
Puck Daddy

Mike Danton's hockey future is once again up in the air as his second attempt to attain a visa to play for the Coventry Blaze of the Elite Ice Hockey League has been denied.

From the Blaze:

A couple of days ago the club were advised by Mike Danton that the UKBA had rejected his second application for a UK entry visa. The initial communication from the UKBA gives no reason for the rejection and full details are provided to the applicant several days later by way of a detailed letter. Neither Mike nor the Blaze have yet seen sight of this detailed explanation and are therefore not in a position to make a full comment as to any potential next steps.

The club had originally not intended to make any statement until we were in possession of all the facts regarding the refusal. But given that the news of Mike's rejection is already in the public domain we wanted to ensure that our supporters are aware of the situation as it currently stands.

Last month, the United Kingdom Border Agency denied Danton's application to enter the country and play for the Blaze. "Hopefully, the powers that be are looking into my case with a little more sympathy and recognizing the changes for the good I have made over the last nine years of my life," Danton wrote on his blog after a second application was filed.

Danton, who spent over five years in prison for a murder-for-hire plot, played last season in the Czech Republic and Sweden, even saving a teammates life. While the 31-year old was waiting for his clearance, the Blaze named him an assistant captain. He remains in Canada, studying toward his degree at St. Mary's University, where he helped lead the Huskies to a national title in 2010.

He appeared on the Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast last month to discuss the situation and said that he decision to sign in England instead of going back to the Czech Republic or Sweden was to make life easier for his wife and newborn son.

UPDATE: Danton has penned an entry in his blog stating he and the the Blaze are still awaiting for a full explanation for his denial and that he and the Blaze will decided their next course of action after receiving that information.

Follow Sean Leahy on Twitter at @Sean_Leahy

View Comments (11)
  • UN health agency rejects Rio Olympics postponement call

    UN health agency rejects Rio Olympics postponement call

    The World Health Organization says there is "no public health justification" for postponing or cancelling the Rio de Janeiro Olympics because of the Zika outbreak. Friday's letter cited recent scientific evidence that the Zika virus causes severe … More »

    The Canadian Press - 4 minutes 14 seconds ago
  • Mo'unga kicks Crusaders to hard-earned win over Blues

    (Reuters) - Flyhalf Richie Mo'unga kicked two late penalties as the Canterbury Crusaders wore down a stubborn Auckland Blues side to move to the top of the Super Rugby standings with a 26-21 victory on Saturday. Mo'unga also converted Andy Ellis' … More »

    Reuters - 11 minutes ago
  • Spurs to play Champions League matches at Wembley

    Spurs to play Champions League matches at Wembley

    By Ken Ferris LONDON (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur have reached agreement with the FA to host Champions League games at Wembley next season with an option to use the national stadium for all matches in the 2017-18 campaign while they are building a … More »

    Reuters - 18 minutes ago
  • WHO rejects call for Olympics to be moved due to Zika

    WHO rejects call for Olympics to be moved due to Zika

    By Kate Kelland LONDON (Reuters) - The World Health Organization (WHO) on Saturday rejected a call for the Rio Olympic Games to be moved or postponed due to the threat posed by large outbreak of Zika virus in Brazil. Responding to a call from more … More »

    Reuters - 33 minutes ago
  • Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes first to test 2017 tyres

    Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes first to test 2017 tyres

    Ferrari, Red Bull and Formula One world champions Mercedes will be first to test Pirelli's wider 2017 tyres in August, Pirelli's racing manager Mario Isola said at a Monaco Grand Prix presentation on Saturday. "We are working with the teams to have … More »

    Reuters - 39 minutes ago