What's buzzing:

Puck Daddy

Dominik Hasek, 47, retires for a third time after failing to receive NHL offer

Sean Leahy
Puck Daddy

View photo

.

AP

Back in June of 2008, Dominik Hasek retired from the NHL at age 43 for the second time after 16 seasons. At the press conference, he noted he lacked the motivation to continue playing at a high level — a level that earned him a treasure trove of honors including two Hart Trophies, six Vezina Trophies, two Stanley Cups and an Olympic gold medal.

A little over four years since that first retirement announcement, Hasek is set for another one, and this time it feels final. In an exclusive interview with iSport Hasek, 47, says it's unlikely he'll play again after failing to receive an offer from an NHL team.

From iSport (translated):

"I prepared, I wanted to play. But for what I was studying (return to the NHL), it did not work. I do not see that it has changed," he explained in a video interview for iSport.cz. "I wanted to do everything possible to get back to the NHL, but the other party did not feel like me. Finally I decided it's not worth it," said Hasek.

Via a IIHF.com translation:

"It's very sad," Hasek told Sport. "But there is nothing you can do. I realized that it's time to retire."

In March of 2011, Hasek said he wanted to play one more year in the KHL, but no offers came his way. This past March, he stated that if he didn't receive an adequate contract by June, he would retire. Over the summer, with the talk of retired players like Mike Modano and Georges Laraque making comebacks as well, Hasek began training with Pardubice of the Czech Extraliga -- the team he played for in his youth -- in hopes of enticing offers from NHL teams.

Reportedly, two of the teams Hasek's camp had spoken with included the Vancouver Canucks and Carolina Hurricanes, but the lockout and full AHL rosters at the moment put those discussions to a halt. "I see no reason why I would now suddenly be someone they want in the NHL," Hasek said.

Had there not been an NHL lockout, maybe a team brings him to training camp for PR or to create a competition among their netminders. Maybe. But knowing the kind of fitness freak the future first ballot Hall of Famer Hasek is, a trait that allowed him to play competitively until age 47, it wouldn't surprise us if he's found lacing them up again somewhere in Europe in the future.

Follow Sean Leahy on Twitter at @Sean_Leahy

View Comments (37)
  • Bid to topple Blatter from FIFA rests with Jordanian prince

    Bid to topple Blatter from FIFA rests with Jordanian prince

    In soccer, the only certain winner seems to be Sepp Blatter. Three men were vying to stop Blatter from winning a fifth term, but only one will now be on the ballot next Friday: Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein of Jordan. Luis Figo had been the only … More »

    AP - Sports - 20 minutes ago
  • Mike Babcock thanks Red Wings fans with Detroit newspaper ad

    Mike Babcock thanks Red Wings fans with Detroit newspaper ad

    Babcock and his family took out an ad on Page 6B of the Detroit Free Press on Friday, featuring a photo of the Babcocks hoisting the Stanley Cup and what appars to be a photo of an Easter Island statue. … More »

    Puck Daddy - 21 minutes ago
  • Monster draw for Nadal in Paris, Djokovic looms in quarters

    Monster draw for Nadal in Paris, Djokovic looms in quarters

    By Julien Pretot PARIS (Reuters) - Rafa Nadal could face world number one Novak Djokovic in the quarter-finals of the French Open after Friday's draw handed him the toughest of routes to a possible 10th title. The Spaniard, seeded sixth after a … More »

    Reuters - 27 minutes ago
  • I won't give medal away this time, says Mourinho

    I won't give medal away this time, says Mourinho

    By Michael Hann LONDON (Reuters) - Jose Mourinho will receive a third Premier League winners' medal on Sunday but the Chelsea manager is not feeling so charitable this time -- meaning no surprise souvenir for a lucky fan at Stamford Bridge. After … More »

    Reuters - 1 hour 2 minutes ago
  • Formula One faces call to end alcohol sponsorship

    By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Formula One was accused of sending out a mixed message on alcohol at the Monaco Grand Prix on Friday by giving extensive publicity to drinks brands while campaigning for road safety. A report, published by … More »

    Reuters - 1 hour 6 minutes ago