Irving, Texas police have released the accident report and search warrant in connection with the accident, in which Brent's Mercedes S600 flipped and caught fire on a state highway's service road. Among the police department's findings:
• Police found an unopened bottle of Pierre cognac in or near Brent's car.
• The contributing factors in the wreck: alcohol, speeding in a 45mph zone and failure to drive in a single lane. Brent's overcorrection, according to the report, caused the car to hit a curb, slide into a ditch, overturn and come to rest on its roof.
• The car traveled more than 870 feet from the time it first hit the curb
• Brent refused a Breathalyzer test, but because of the fatality, police could draw his blood against his will. He was found to have a blood alcohol level of 0.189; the Texas legal limit is 0.08.
• Neither man in the car was wearing a seat belt.
• Brent had served 30 days in an Illinois jail for driving drunk in 2009. He had an expired and suspended Illinois driver's license, and is barred from driving unless he has a valid license.
For the full documents in PDF form, via the Irving Police Department, click the links below:
-Follow Jay Busbee on Twitter at @jaybusbee.-
- Crime & Justice
- Politics & Government
- Josh Brent
- Dallas Cowboys