What's buzzing:

Shutdown Corner

Did Vince Young take out a loan for a $300,000 party? A former adviser says yes

Jay Busbee
Shutdown Corner

View photo

.

Vince Young. (Getty Images)

The sports world is rife with tales of fiscal mismanagement, but this might just set a new mark: a former financial adviser for Vince Young testfied that the former quarterback took out a seven-figure, high-interest loan during the 2011 lockout in part because Young wanted to throw a $300,000 birthday party for himself.

The revelation came amid depositions for a case in which Young is challenging a $1.7 million judgment against him by Pro Player Funding LLC. Pro Player is a boutique lender which specializes in lending to professional athletes. Young had borrowed $1.9 million at 20 percent interest in May 2011.

[Also: Ranking the NFL draft's top talents]

According to Ronnie Peoples, president and CEO of Peoples Financial Service, Young had already paid for the party and sought the loan from Pro Player, with Peoples' assistance.

However, Young's attorney, Trey Dolezal, said Peoples' recollections were inaccurate or incorrect. "I have no idea what he's talking about with the birthday party," Dolezal told the AP, "and neither does Vince."

At issue are documents that Young signed; Peoples said the documents were loan closure instruments, whereas Dolezal said they were banking instruments.

Young is one of many athletes who took out high-interest loans to tide themselves over during the lockout. As Yahoo! Sports reported in 2011, many lending agencies offered loans to players at interest rates ranging from 18 to 24 percent, with default rates as high as 36 percent.

The problem for Young, Peoples testified, is that the quarterback had erratic and unpredictable expenses. "It's almost like I can have a $30,000 [monthly] budget that I know we had to pay here," he testified, "but then, you know, I get an invoice for a Ferrari that he just bought for $176,000, and they want their money."

Young has not played professional football since being cut by the Buffalo Bills before last season, and as Shutdown Corner noted in September, his financial problems have been persistent. In a related suit, Young has charged that Peoples and his former agent misappropriated $5.5 million. He has also filed suit against Pro Player, calling it "a predatory lender with a history of loaning funds to football players on extraordinarily onerous terms."

[Also: Michael Vick takes paycut, sticks with Chip Kelly's Eagles]

Even with the $26 million in guaranteed money Young received from the contract he signed with the Tennessee Titans in 2006, the quarterback was in a financial bind after five seasons in the NFL, according to Peoples. Asked to describe Young's financial situation in May 2011, Peoples replied: ''Not good.''

-Follow Jay Busbee on Twitter at @jaybusbee.-

NBA video from Yahoo! Sports:

Other popular content on Yahoo! Sports:
Dan Wetzel: IOC's poor decision to add golf costs wrestling its spot in Olympics
Manchester United vs. Real Madrid will be critical for Cristiano Ronaldo
NFL reportedly may revisit widening playing field 35 feet
ThePostGame: Could Michael Jordan still play in the NBA?

View Comments (3476)
  • Hartley dropped from England World Cup training squad

    Hartley dropped from England World Cup training squad

    Controversial hooker Dylan Hartley has been dropped from England's World Cup training squad after his latest disciplinary misdemeanour, the Rugby Football Union announced on Friday. Hartley received a four-week ban on Wednesday for headbutting … More »

    Reuters - 12 minutes ago
  • Speight brace sees Brumbies past Bulls

    Wallabies winger Henry Speight scored two tries as the ACT Brumbies beat South Africa's Bulls 22-16 in a bruising contest at Canberra Stadium on Friday to stay very much in the Super Rugby playoff mix. A try from replacement lock Jordan Smiler gave … More »

    Reuters - 13 minutes ago
  • FIFA congress resumes after bomb threat in Zurich

    Swiss police said on Friday they were investigating an anonymous bomb threat at the FIFA congress in Zurich that led authorities to search the premises. The threat was made by telephone to a Zurich-based newsroom on Friday morning, Zurich city … More »

    Reuters - 17 minutes ago
  • England win toss, put New Zealand in to bat

    England won the toss and put New Zealand in to bat in the second test at Headingley on Friday. England named an unchanged side while New Zealand brought in wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi to make his test debut in place of all-rounder Corey Anderson. … More »

    Reuters - 18 minutes ago
  • FIFA's culture needs to change says one of its own bosses

    By Mike Collett ZURICH (Reuters) - FIFA's culture must change if it is to reclaim its credibility as an open and honest organisation, one of its own senior officials told delegates at its annual congress on Friday. After FIFA president Sepp … More »

    Reuters - 20 minutes ago