Losses by Oregon and Kansas State changed six of the eight teams in the projections for the BCS Championship Game, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Fiesta Bowl. And there are still remaining games that can turn the BCS into a real mess.
Here are some of the possible wrenches left this season:
• Notre Dame, the new No. 1 in the BCS standings, plays at USC.
• The winner of the SEC Championship Game is presumed to have a spot waiting in the BCS title game. But what if Georgia loses to Georgia Tech - which has won three in a row and four of five - in its season finale, then wins the SEC title game? Or, as crazy as it sounds, what if Auburn beats Alabama (that would mean Alabama, LSU or Texas A&M would represent the Western Division in the SEC Championship Game with two losses)?
• Florida is No. 4 in the BCS standings, but has a tough game against Florida State remaining.
• Oregon is fifth, but still has to play at Oregon State.
• Kansas State, sixth in the BCS standings, faces a Texas team that has played well lately.
• Stanford, No. 8 in the BCS standings just behind LSU, still has two chances to lose to UCLA - in the regular-season finale this week, or if it wins that, in the Pac-12 Championship Game.
• Florida State, at No. 10, would still have to get through an ACC Championship Game against Georgia Tech if it beats Florida to keep its faint BCS title game hopes alive.
• No. 7 LSU plays at Arkansas and No. 9 Texas A&M hosts Missouri. Hey, we didn't think Baylor would beat Kansas State, so nothing can be ruled out.
There are many possible scenarios still on the table. Here's one: Notre Dame loses to USC, Georgia loses to Georgia Tech but wins the SEC title game, Florida State beats Florida, Oregon loses at Oregon State and Kansas State loses to Texas as both teams fail to rebound from heartbreaking losses last week, and Stanford can't sweep UCLA. None of those outcomes are outrageous.
If they all happen, would we have Notre Dame get into the BCS Championship Game despite losing its last game? Would Texas A&M move past Georgia despite not even playing in the SEC title game? Could Florida State come from 10th to the top two in the last couple weeks of the season?
While it seemed last Saturday was the height of BCS chaos, it might just be starting. Or, USC, Georgia and Alabama will all win their regular-season finales and we'll have reasonable order from here on out.
Here are this week's bowl projections:
- - -
Got a tip for Dr. Saturday? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also connect with us via Twitter @YahooDrSaturday and be sure to "Like" Dr. Saturday on Facebook for football conversations and stuff you won't see on the blog.
- American Football
- Sports & Recreation
- SEC Championship Game
- Georgia Tech
- BCS Championship Game