Cagewriter
  • Ex-UFC champ Georges St-Pierre tears left ACL, will require surgery

    Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre tore his left ACL in training (Getty)Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, who is in the midst of a sabbatical from fighting, announced on his Facebook page Thursday that he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee this week and will require surgery.

    He tore the ACL in his right knee in 2011 and missed about a year.

    St-Pierre wrote, "Just got confirmation that I tore my left knee AC during training this week. ... Surgery in a few days and rehab starts right away. We all face challenges in our lives and I know only one way to take this one: Pain, hard work, no shortcuts and I will soon be back at 100%"

    UFC president Dana White has said he is certain St-Pierre would return to competition, but if he does, it's going to be much longer than originally anticipated.

    Read More »from Ex-UFC champ Georges St-Pierre tears left ACL, will require surgery
  •  

    Despite losing his last four fights, former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir has not been released from the UFC, according to his manager Malki Kawa. "Yeah, he's still on the roster," Kawa told Mike Chiappetta in a recent interview.

    Even though Mir is still in the UFC, he isn't yet in a rush to get back into the cage. Kawa said that the Las Vegas fighter is taking time off following his brutal loss to Alistair Overeem last month at UFC 169.

     

    "He's just taking time off," Kawa went on.

    "He's taking a little bit of time and we'll figure out what his next fight is going to be, and what he's going to do next. Right now we haven't come to a conclusion on that time frame yet."

    Who do you want to see Mir fight upon his return? Let us know in the comments section.

    Follow Elias on Twitter @EliasCepeda & @YahooCagewriter

    Read More »from Heavyweight Frank Mir still in UFC, taking time off
  • Injured UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis will defend his title against Gilbert Melendez at the 2014 end of the year card after the two coach opposite one another on an upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter. Pettis has not fought since winning the belt in August, 2013, against Benson Henderson.

    UFC president Dana White made the announcement during a press conference in Puerto Rico Wednesday. Pettis and his younger brother, UFC flyweight Sergio Pettis were also on the island and toured it.

    White also said a 2015 event in Puerto Rico, which would be the UFC's first on the island-nation, is being planned and will feature the elder Pettis as a headliner.

    Ever since former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez re-signed with the UFC we've known that he would eventually face Pettis for the 155 pound championship, but Wednesday's presser was the first time an approximate date was publicly announced. Melendez is coming off a barn-burner decision win over Diego Sanchez last

    Read More »from Anthony Pettis vs. Gilbert Melendez set for year-end UFC card
  • According to a report from MMA Fighting, former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua will have surgery Wednesday to repair his injured nose. Rua lost via third round TKO Sunday to Dan Henderson after "Hendo" knocked him down and out with a right hook to the nose.

    According to Rua's manager Eduardo Alonso, the fighter doesn't yet know when he'll be able to train again.

    "There’s no timetable [for his return to training] right now, he will take a week off to rest. He will be cleared to walk again then, and we’ll go from there," Alonso said.

    The manager went on to say that, other than the nose, Rua did not suffer any more injuries.

    "Shogun didn’t suffer any injury besides the broken nose," he claimed.

    "The CT exam showed nothing. He had no neurological damage, loss of consciousness, nothing."

    We wish Rua the best during his surgery and recovery.

    Follow Elias on Twitter @EliasCepeda & @YahooCagewriter

    Read More »from Mauricio "Shogun" Rua to have nose surgery today
  • After Daniel Cormier and Alexander Gustafsson won his last fight over Jimu Manuwa, light heavyweight champion Jon Jones posited an idea for whom he should face, assuming he beats Glover Teixeira in April.

    "Why not give the winner of Alexander and [Daniel Cormier] the winner of myself and Glover?? Call me what you want but I can't be the only person who thinks that makes perfect sense," Jones tweeted.

    As it turned out, subsequent sophisiticated and scientific surveys demonstrated that Jones is the only person on earth who thought that idea made sense. You see, Alexander Gustafsson controlled the first three rounds of his title fight in 2013 against Jones before nearly getting finished himself by the champ in the fourth and fifth rounds.

    Many observers scored the fight three rounds to two for the Swede, yet Jones was given the decision win. Fair enough, but it certainly seemed like an immediate rematch was in order.

    However, Jones did not want to fight Gustafsson again, at least not

    Read More »from Alexander Gustafsson - Jon Jones is avoiding me
  • Josh Koscheck forges ahead

     

    When Josh Koscheck lost his third straight fight last November at UFC 167, via KO to Tyron Woodley, it made him reconsider his career. “You know, when you do everything right for so long and you have a bad day at the office, it makes you think about things," he told ESPN in a recent interview.

    "You wonder, ‘What the hell? Is there more out there? Is there something better I can be putting that much energy into?'”

    However, the two-time world title challenger ultimately decided to soldier on. Koscheck admits to having turned down two fights offered to him by the UFC since losing to Woodley but only because he needed time to rest, not because he's ready to hang up his gloves

    “I’ve been training my whole life,” Koscheck explained.

    “I’ve never had a break. I feel like I need to get away and take some time off and enjoy life."

    The 36 year-old said that he has two more fights on his current UFC contract. As for his future in MMA, "Kos" plans to finish out this contract and then assess

    Read More »from Josh Koscheck forges ahead
  • Nick Newell, who was born without a left hand, will fight Justin Gaethje for the WSOF title in July. (Getty)

    LAS VEGAS – Nick Newell, the unbeaten lightweight who was born without a left hand, will get a shot at the World Series of Fighting title when he takes on champion Justin Gaethje in July, WSOF executive vice president Ali Abdelaziz told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday. The exact date and venue have not been selected yet.

    Newell is 11-0 overall in his mixed martial arts career and 2-0 in the WSOF. He scored submission victories by guillotine choke over Keon Caldwell at WSOF 4 on Aug. 10, 2013, and Sabah Fadai at WSOF 7 on Dec. 7, 2013.

    Because of his success despite the congenital amputation – his left arm ends three inches below his elbow – Newell is one of the most talked about fighters outside of the UFC. But Abdelaziz said the World Series is not treading on Newell's disability.

    His performances against Caldwell and Fadal, each of which ended in the first round, earned him the shot. Newell was previously the XFC lightweight champion.

    "I had no choice but to give this to him, because he

    Read More »from Unbeaten lightweight Nick Newell, born without a left hand, will get a shot at the WSOF title in July
  • In the latest and perhaps greatest tease of something big, like really big, happening in regards to a new challenge for UFC bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey, former Strikeforce champion Gina Carano now says she is "very open" to a return to the cage.

    For weeks, rumors have swirled about who is next for Rousey thanks to Joe Rogan and Holly Holm's agent not being very good with secrets. The biggest names that have been thrown around are "Cybog" Justino and the woman she beat to become the Strikeforce champ in 2009, Gina Carano.

    UFC president Dana White has expressed his enthusiasm at having Carano fight for the UFC should she decide to come back. Now, in an interview with Damon Martin, Carano herself has spoken about the chances of her making a comeback.

    "I've never retired. I've never officially said that," Carano said.

    "For some reason a part of me has always kept it open. I don't know, there's a certain part of me that thinks if circumstances were right, and I could keep doing what I'm

    Read More »from Gina Carano 'very open' to MMA return
  • Dan Henderson is evidently quite serious about doing whatever it takes to earn another shot at UFC gold. Just days after his rematch war with and KO over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua on Sunday, Henderson has offered to replace injured middleweight champion Chris Weidman against Lyoto Machida in the main event of May's UFC 173 in what would have to be considered a title eliminator match.

    Weidman injured his knee and will require a surgery that UFC officials have announced will simply postpone his scheduled title defense against Machida to July. Henderson, ever eager to scrap, offered a different suggestion to UFC president Dana White through twitter, however.

    Henderson's gameness and greatness can never be questioned, and this latest offer to step up is just another example of both. However, Henderson has sustained KO-level head trauma in both of

    Read More »from Dan Henderson offers to replace Chris Weidman at UFC 173
  • UFC middleweight champ Chris Weidman, with Time Warner's Camille Ford, needs knee surgery (Getty)Middleweight champion Chris Weidman needs minor surgery on both of his knees to repair a bothersome meniscus, forcing the postponement of his title defense against Lyoto Machida until July 5 in Las Vegas, UFC president Dana White told Yahoo Sports Monday.

    The Weidman-Machida fight had been planned as the main event for UFC 173 on May 24 at the MGM Grand Garden. But because of Weidman's knees, it will be pushed back until July at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

    White said he and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta are working on a new main event for May 24, but said he had nothing to announce yet.

    "This is something that's been bothering him for a while," White said. "The knee pops out and Lorenzo had told him a while ago to just get it taken care of and be done with it. He didn't do it, and unfortunately, it became more and more of a problem for him."

    White said Weidman will need four-to-six weeks to recover from the surgery and said "we're very confident," he'll be healed in time to fight Machida,

    Read More »from Minor knee surgery forces Chris Weidman to postpone May title defense until July

Pagination

(7,735 Stories)