What's buzzing:

Big League Stew

Pete Rose regrets accepting baseball's ban, says he didn't 'read the fine print'

Mike Oz
Big League Stew
Selig says Rose could play All-Star role in 2015
.

View photo

FILE - In this Sept. 11, 2010, file photo, former Cincinnati Reds great Pete Rose stands on first base as he acknowledges the crowd during ceremonies celebrating the 25th anniversary of Rose breaking Ty Cobb's hit record prior to a baseball game between the Reds and Pittsburgh Pirates in Cincinnati. Rose may have a role to play in next year's All-Star game in Cincinnati despite his lifetime ban from baseball. The career hits leader generally is not allowed in any areas of major league ballparks not open to fans. (AP Photo/Al Behrman, File)

The 25th anniversary of Pete Rose being banned from MLB is Sunday and baseball's controversial hit king sat down for an interview with ESPN to mark the occasion. Like most things Pete Rose, the interview — which aired Wednesday on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" — was far from mundane.

The headline born from it: Rose says 25 years ago when he signed an agreement to be banished for life, it was a mistake. He thought he'd only been suspended for a season.

He told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap:

"It was a mistake because I didn't read the fine print," Rose said. "When I signed that agreement, if you looked at my news conference the day I was suspended ... I looked at it really as a year suspension. To this day, I have no idea why my lawyers would accept a lifetime suspension. Sure, I'm there listening to them, but most players when I played, when you look at your contract and stuff, you don't read the fine print."

That's not the most sympathy-inspiring excuse. The document Rose signed with MLB clearly stated he was being banned for life. There was no "fine print." This is on page three of a four-page document:

View photo

.

Elsewhere in his interview, Rose accepted full responsibility for his actions and said he regretted ever betting on baseball. Obviously, he's hopeful for reinstatement one day.

Current MLB commissioner Bud Selig was also interviewed for the ESPN piece. He didn't give a firm answer one way or another about Rose's future, but said it was "under advisement." From ESPN's T.J. Quinn:

Selig's portion was filmed before Rob Manfred was elected as new MLB commish last week. We don't know what Manfred thinks about reinstating Rose at this point, but we do know oddsmakers think it's an 8/1 bet.

More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -

Mike Oz is an editor for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at mikeozstew@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!

View Comments (794)
  • Puck Daddy's NHL 2015 Free Agent Frenzy Chatterbox!

    Puck Daddy's NHL 2015 Free Agent Frenzy Chatterbox!

    The Chatterbox offers breaking news and insider insight in one place; to have, at the end of the day, a chronological review of the NHL Free Agent Frenzy's rumors and trades; and as a place for your friends at Puck Daddy to pop in and out during the … More »

    Puck Daddy - 4 minutes 45 seconds ago
  • Estonia goal-fest continues as pros beat amateurs 31-0

    By David Mardiste TALLINN (Reuters) - The crazy goal-fests that highlight the Estonian FA Cup continued on Tuesday when Premier league side Paide Linnameeskond beat rank amateurs JK Raudteetoolised 31-0 with Paide easing up after leading 19-0 at … More »

    Reuters - 9 minutes ago
  • Rashid and Finn in England squad for first Ashes test

    Leg-spinner Adil Rashid and paceman Steven Finn were included in England's 13-man squad named on Wednesday for next week's first Ashes test against Australia. Rashid is uncapped at test level but impressed in the recent one-day series against New … More »

    Reuters - 10 minutes ago
  • Asian teams go on transfer spending spree

    Emirati champions Al Ain signed Dutch winger Ryan Babel on Wednesday, while Guangzhou Evergrande closed in on Brazil's Robinho as the money-spinning battle between Chinese and Middle Eastern clubs for foreign talent gathered pace. The 28-year-old … More »

    Reuters - 25 minutes ago
  • Veteran defender Distin signs for new boys Bournemouth

    Veteran French defender Sylvain Distin signed for Premier League new boys Bournemouth on Wednesday after being released from Everton at the end of last season. Cherries boss Eddie Howe, leading Bournemouth into the top flight of English football … More »

    Reuters - 33 minutes ago