What's buzzing:

Prep Rally

Five elementary schoolers suffer concussions in disturbing Massachusetts youth football game

Prep Rally

It's the kind of incident that is rapidly making youth football a less palatable option for parents across the country. In a single Massachusetts Pop Warner Pee Wee division game, five players suffered concussions, left the game and then re-entered the action at a later point.

The tale of horrendous player management from the Pop Warner ranks in the Bay State was first reported by the Boston Globe and has since been covered by a variety of other media organizations in the Boston area, including MyFoxBoston. The injured players were all members of the Tantasqua Pop Warner program between the ages of 10 and 12, and were left with even more embarrassment when they also suffered a 52-0 loss at the hands of their Southbridge Pop Warner opponents.

"Having multiple concussions in one game is something that should never happen, ever,'' said Patrick Inderwish, president of Central Mass. Pop Warner, told the Globe. "One concussion is too many.

"[The game was marked by] bad officiating and decision-making by the coaches and all other parties involved. That game doesn't represent what Pop Warner stands for in any way."

According to the Globe, all five elementary schoolers missed school days following their concussions. Making matters worse, one of those head injuries came after the game should have been halted; Pop Warner regulations call for a game to be stopped once a team takes a 28-0 lead, yet both teams ignored that mercy rule in the one-sided drubbing.

The discipline taken against coaches of both teams from Pop Warner officials has been significant. Both coaches were suspended for the remainder of the 2012 season and placed on probation throughout the 2013 season. Additionally, the president of the Tantasqua Pop Warner association and the president of the Southbridge Pop Warner association were handed identical bans, all as punishment for not stepping in to safeguard their players.

The officials who worked the game were also suspended for failing to exert control over matters as they unfolded.

Perhaps most disturbingly, because the Tantasqua players' concussions went undiagnosed they were allowed to keep playing, putting them at significant risk of a much more devastating head injury.

There have been no early indications that such a disastrous consequence occurred, though the officials from both leagues deserve no significant credit for that.

Rather, everyone involved in the shocking five-concussion game should probably take a long, hard look at themselves for the lack of action that caused five elementary school students to miss school time and put themselves at significant danger of lasting injury, all in the name of continuing a one-sided blowout of a youth football game.

Want more on the best stories in high school sports? Visit RivalsHigh or connect with Prep Rally on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Fantasy football advice on Yahoo! Sports:

Other popular content on the Yahoo! network:
Watch: Monday night predictions for Matthew Stafford, Jay Cutler
Cardinals-Giants NLCS gives one of greatest treats in sports: a Game 7
Ohio State QB Braxton Miller seems fine, should practice Tuesday
Y! Homes: Ten of America's most haunted houses

View Comments (1039)
  • Ryan Burns to start for Stanford in opener

    STANFORD, Calif. (AP) -- Senior Ryan Burns will start at quarterback for Stanford in the No. 8 Cardinal's opener against Kansas State. … More »

    AP - Sports - 4 minutes 35 seconds ago
  • Golf-Day and Johnson command spotlight at Bethpage

    World number one Jason Day and second-ranked Dustin Johnson launch their title bids at The Barclays on Thursday amid longer-term hopes of securing the PGA Tour's season-ending FedExCup and Player of the Year honours. The Barclays, won last year by … More »

    Reuters - 6 minutes ago
  • Baseball-Major League Baseball roundup

    The Baltimore Orioles placed starting pitcher Chris Tillman on the disabled list Wednesday with right shoulder bursitis. "We're trying to be safe, get this thing in the rear-view mirror," Tillman said. "That way I'm not fighting it all year." … More »

    Reuters - 7 minutes ago
  • Cespedes: No plans to opt-out with Mets

    Cespedes: No plans to opt-out with Mets

    Yoenis Cespedes says he has no plans to exercise an opt-out clause in his contract with the New York Mets. The outfielder from Cuba is in the first year of a three-year, $75 million deal that has an escape clause after the first season. ''I've … More »

    AP - Sports - 9 minutes ago
  • Bold Bison: FCS kingpins not shying away from FBS challenge

    Bold Bison: FCS kingpins not shying away from FBS challenge

    North Dakota State rolled to its fifth straight Football Championship Subdivision title last year and then watched its star quarterback walk to the stage as the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft. ''The years we don't play an FBS school, there is … More »

    AP - Sports - 10 minutes ago