- Stephanie Myles at Eh Game1 hr ago
NEW YORK – With both players firing on all of their considerable cylinders, a matchup between Milos Raonic and Dustin Brown, though short on rallies, could have produced some crowd-pleasing fireworks before a well-refreshed evening crowd on Court 17 Monday night.
In the end, though, Raonic’s first-round form – a long way from where he plans for that form to be by the end of the fortnight – was far too good for Brown’s effort in his first match back after suffering a devastating ankle sprain in the first round of the Olympic event.
The magic was not to be. Raonic moved through, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 and righted the ship after a few serving issues in the first set. But in the end, all he really had to do was navigate calmly because the physically compromised Brown had to go for broke.
- Stephanie Myles at Eh Game5 hrs ago
NEW YORK – If Vasek Pospisil’s major post-victory celebration Monday at the US Open seemed a little over the top after a first round, there’s a back story.
Routine first-round victories – victories, period – have been rare gems for the 26-year-old Canadian this season. The 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 victory over Josef Kovalik of Slovakia, a lucky loser ranked No. 126, was Pospisil’s first in a best-of-five set match since his surprise run to the Wimbledon quarterfinals in July 2015.
That’s a full round of all four Grand Slam tournaments without a singles victory to show for it, And Pospisil was even more pleased with his effort, desire and execution than he was with the final score.
“I played much better than I’ve been playing, regardless of who my opponent was. I’ve played some weaker opponents and didn’t play anything close to the level I played today,” Pospisil said. “Today was honestly just kind the way I’ve been playing the last three years, just kind of my level, not like I was playing something incredible. But it was nice to play well again, for a change.”
- Chris Young at Eh Game10 hrs ago
Into every TFC season a little rain must fall.
At least it does seem that way for a Toronto FC that a week ago took over first place in Major League Soccer's Eastern Conference for the latest time in its 10-year history, but now faces a month without talisman Sebastian Giovinco.
The reigning MLS MVP was bundled down by Montreal defender Laurent Ciman and limped off the BMO Field pitch a little over an hour into Saturday night's 401 Derby renewal. A club release said that quadricep and adductor strains will keep Giovinco out for four weeks, which would mean that TFC will be missing their star attraction for at least three of their seven remaining regular-season games.
It's the first significant injury time for Giovinco since he came to Toronto from Juventus at the start of last season, during which he missed but one match, a 2-1 loss at Seattle. Giovinco's 22-goal, 16-assist haul last season was unprecedented in MLS history, but as Elias Sports Bureau notes, he's picked up from there and is on a pace this year to set another standard.
- Don Landry at Eh Game14 hrs ago
I don't get it.
I mean, I get it... but I just don't get it. The long held tradition of the hat trick - a hockey staple for decades and decades and decades, has made its way into the world of baseball. And that's not the part I don't get either, because it happens in Toronto, where every sporting event can somehow be related to the Leafs or the sport of hockey in one way or another. Hockey traditions are so embedded, they're bound to cross over. So, when Blue Jays' third baseman Josh Donaldson hit not one, not two, but three home runs in Sunday's sweep win over the Minnesota Twins, the hats came flying out of the stands.
- Stephanie Myles at Eh Game23 hrs ago
NEW YORK – Genie Bouchard admitted to having a few flashbacks to last September when she set foot on the US Open site earlier this week.
But she's thinking positive, and she's leaving the pending lawsuit against the USTA filed in the wake of the concussion she suffered in the women's locker room last Sept. 4 with her lawyers.
The comment from the USTA late last week about the 22-year-old's focus being on matters other than tennis did not go unnoticed.
And as she sat in her hotel room Sunday night watching the Video Music Awards (well, practicaly live-Tweeting the VMAs), she did get a shot in.
- Stephanie Myles at Eh Game1 day ago
NEW YORK – Vasek Pospisil won't remember 2016 fondly, with all of his struggles on court and the price they are now exacting on his ATP Tour ranking.
But the season isn't over yet. And as the 26-year-old begins a search for a coach to follow in the footsteps of Frédéric Fontang, he's turning to ... another Frédéric to fill the void.
When Pospisil heads to China after the U.S. Open and the Davis Cup tie in Halifax in mid-September, he'll have an old, trusted confidante supporting him in Fred Niemeyer, the Quebecer who worked with him when he first arrived at the ATP Tour level five years ago.
"It was one of the first things I thought of. I feel like I need some of his energy, and also we’re great friends and I respect him as a coach, too, so I think it’ll be good," Pospisil told Eh Game Sunday, after one last hit on the practice courts at the US Open.
In the first round of singles Monday, Pospisil plays lucky loser Josef Kovalik of Slovakia, who is ranked No. 126 to Pospisil's current No. 123.
- Stephanie Myles at Eh Game3 days ago
Since the initial filing of Genie Bouchard’s lawsuit against the US Tennis Association last October in the wake of the concussion she suffered in an fall in the women’s locker room last Sept. 4, and the confident comments of her Manhattan attorney Benedict Morelli at the time, there have been more than 10 months of relative public silence.
There also has been little progress towards a resolution and with some recent extensions, it seems a trial may indeed be destined to happen but could be six months to a year away.
But with Bouchard’s return to the US Open, which begins on Monday, both sides have fired some salvos.
The USTA’s official statement, as first published on the Sports Business Daily website Friday, reads as follows:
“The USTA does not comment on the substance of ongoing litigation. However, it is truly unfortunate that a year after her accident, Genie’s focus is on matters other than playing to her best ability . … We have remained ready, willing and able to bring the litigation to a conclusion as expeditiously as is possible."
- Stephanie Myles at Eh Game3 days ago
There will be no John McEnroe sightings in Milos Raonic’s player box during this US Open.
What isn’t quite clear, after John McEnroe discussed the matter on an ESPN conference call ahead of the final Grand Slam of the season, is why.
On several occasions, he said it would “make life easier”.
“Milos has two coaches. I came in as an advisory role before Wimbledon. He’s got a great team around him. It’s best, at this point … This week, I was with him. But having thought about it, for Milos’ sake and for ESPN’s and my sake, best to stop right now what we’re doing so when the US Open starts on Monday, he’s got his people …” McEnroe said.
McEnroe alluded to all the conflict-of-interest talk during Wimbledon when the American legend was commentating the late-round matches his charge was playing. From the sound of it, he may well have heard about it from other players or people around them. But it’s hard to tell for sure.
The two did work together this week, McEnroe said – they were even on the court Friday, before the conference call.
Eugenie Bouchard and Vasek Pospisil avoid early seeds, Milos Raonic to face shotmaker as US Open draws setStephanie Myles at Eh Game3 days ago
For unseeded Canadians Genie Bouchard and Vasek Pospisil, there was exponentially more at stake as the US Open draws were made Friday in New York than there was for Milos Raonic, seeded No. 5 and assured of not having to face a top player from the get-go.
It worked out quite well, as Bouchard drew Katerina Siniakova of the Czech Republic, ranked No. 73, and Pospisil, whose singles ranking now is down to No. 123, paired with a qualifier for his first-round match.
For Raonic, a challenge awaits. He will play German shotmaker Dustin Brown in the first round.
Bouchard's first-round luck this season has truly been very good; she has never drawn a seeded player at any tournament. The highest-ranked first-round opponent she has had was No. 25 Jelena Jankovic in Rome, and Jankovic has been injured much of the season. At the Australian Open, she played Aleksandra Krunic of Serbia (No. 119). At the French Open, Laura Siegemund (No. 37) and at Wimbledon, Magdalena Rybarikova (No. 94). She won all of those matches.
- Jeffrey Chan at Eh Game5 days ago
Free agent welterweight Rory MacDonald appears to have finally made a decision on his future, and it's not with the UFC.
According to reports, Canada's most popular mixed martial artist not named Georges St-Pierre is finalizing a deal with Bellator after the UFC declined to match their offer sheet.
While nothing has been made official, the UFC all but confirmed the deal by removing the Canadian from its fighter rankings page where he was listed as the No. 3 welterweight.
The 27-year-old banked on himself heading into the final fight of his UFC contract expecting to win in spectacular fashion and forcing the promotion's hand in offering a more lucrative deal. But in the end, the "Red King" came up short against Stephen Thompson at UFC Fight Night 89 in Ottawa back on June 18.
This isn't necessarily a loss for MacDonald. Quite the opposite, actuallly.