Valencia winger Andres Guardado has slammed Real Madrid for influencing the decisions of match officials through pre-match comments.
Los Che were beaten 2-0 by Blancos at the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday, in the first leg of their Copa del Rey quarter-final, but after the game much of the talk circulated around several contentious offside calls that went against the visitors.
"It is fairly obvious that if he hadn't given those offsides against Soldado, the result could have been different," he told Goal.com.
"Sometimes it can benefit you, sometimes it can damage you, that's all there is to it. They like to speak about referees a lot, and in this case it has benefited them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's the same for everyone."
The two teams go head to head again on Sunday, in La Liga, before contesting the second leg of their cup clash next Tuesday.
But despite venting his anger towards Madrid, Guardado believes his side had more than enough chances to win the game, without relying on the intervention of the referee.
"We had opportunities, and if we had scored them, maybe it would have been a different game."
Buzzing on Yahoo Sports
- Indiana comes back to down Miami in a postseason-styled battleBall Don't Lie - 2 hours 45 minutes ago
- Florida Panthers replace broken pane of glass with one you can’t see through (Video)Puck Daddy - 3 hours ago
- Shane del Rosario’s family will donate his organs, plans to create a foundation in his memoryCagewriter - 5 hours ago
- Mark Mulder is attempting an MLB comeback after finding some unlikely inspirationBig League Stew - 5 hours ago
- New manager Matt Williams: Nationals will rely on ‘big, hairy guys’Big League Stew - 5 hours ago
- Five reasons the Diamondbacks may not love Mark Trumbo as much as they thinkBig League Stew - 6 hours ago
- Shawne Merriman bails on interview with Bomani Jones and Dan LeBatard (Video)Shutdown Corner - 6 hours ago
- Texans receiver Andre Johnson spends over $17K on holiday shopping spree for at-risk childrenShutdown Corner - 6 hours ago
- ‘League of Denial,’ football concussion book, expected to be made into a movieShutdown Corner - 7 hours ago
- Chatting With Pavel Datsyuk about Olympics, HBO 24/7, Sigmund Freud and mustachesPuck Daddy - 7 hours ago
- Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers does not seem optimistic about returnShutdown Corner - 8 hours ago
- NHL expansion update from Gary Bettman: We’re listeningPuck Daddy - 8 hours ago
Explore Related Contents
1 - 4 of 20
- The Canadian Press
Latest Sports Slideshows
1 - 4 of 25
Today on Yahoo
1 - 4 of 48