Getty ImagesOf the players who took part in the NHL's CBA negotiations, Chris Campoli was one of the prominent faces on the union's side. He spoke often and was out in front in fighting for the NHLPA. He did all of that without the safety net of an NHL contract.
Almost a month into the 2013 season, no NHL team has taken to signing the unrestricted free agent to add to their defensive corps, so Campoli is taking his game to Geneve-Servette of Switzerland for the remainder of the season, according to The Geneva Tribune (via the Canadian Press).
Campoli played 43 games with the Montreal Canadiens last season.
(UPDATE: Campoli confirmed the move during an interview Friday on HockeyCentral on the FAN590 in Toronto.)
Campoli took a big role in the CBA negotiations knowing it could cost him a job in the NHL, as he told Sportsnet's Michael Grange last month:
"If it affects me in a negative way I can look in the mirror and know that I did the right thing," he said. "Some people may say I'm crazy, but at the end of the day I spent numerous hours with some amazing people and have relationships that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.
"[But] it could cost me -- if someone held it against me -- it could cost me a job. I hope they don't look at it that way."
Campoli's still young, just 28 years old, so he has plenty of hockey left to play. He told Grange that the lockout opened his eyes to life after hockey, and given his service to the NHLPA, once his career does come to an end, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him in transitioning into a role with the union.
(UPDATE Feb. 10: Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos reports that due to visa issues, Campoli's deal is off and remains a UFA.)
Follow Sean Leahy on Twitter at @Sean_Leahy