LOS ANGELES – Disaster sizzled in that cord attached to the outlet. If only Dion Jordan hadn't pulled it. But of course he had to pull it, because even in the insanely stupid act of using a vacuum cleaner to siphon gasoline from one car to another, he was the responsible one. He was always the responsible one. Everyone else had walked away and the vacuum was still running. Leaving it like that seemed wrong so he grabbed the plug and pulled it from the wall.
And this is what it is like to be 17 years old, a football star in suburban Phoenix and suddenly on fire.
The plug caused a spark and the spark struck the vacuum and the machine exploded. A giant flame raced through the air knocking Jordan against the wall. Instantly, he felt a searing pain rising up his forearms and lower legs – everything not covered by the basketball shorts and tank top that he wore.
The rest was a blur. There was the frantic call to 911, the sirens, the paramedics and theRead More »from Perseverance leads Oregon's Dion Jordan to brink of NFL after accident almost ended his dream