Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• France beat Russia in worlds. France. FRANCE! [IIHF]
• Dave Bolland of the Chicago Blackhawks with the quote of the day: “Asked if he could put a percentage on how close he is, Bolland said, ‘I don’t know about the percentage but I’m halfway there.’” [CSN Chicago]
• Tomas Vokoun on Marc-Andre Fleury: “Some of those goals were tough breaks,” Vokoun said. “He looked good. He wasn’t guessing. He wasn’t getting beat on straight shots. Some were deflections. It’s almost like he’s getting there earlier than he’s supposed to. It’s actually hurting him more. I told him I thought he looked good. Sometimes that happens.” [Penguins]
• The Sabres clean house in the coaching ranks. [Dave Davis]
• Bob Cole of CBC on whether he’s anti-Hab: "I'm an anti-Hab?" Cole asked. "Am I really? I suppose I take that as a compliment. They're crazy. I can tell you that right now. That's nuts. I've been through the Edmonton years, and I loved it, and the Islanders years, and that was great. And then Boston with Bobby (Orr) and the rest of them. The Canadiens, The Toronto Maple Leafs. Detroit with Gordie Howe and Alex Delvecchio. They came down and visited Newfoundland and we went fishing together. Are you kidding? There's no way I can favour one team. I do the games. And I get excited. I love it.” [Gazette]
• Adam Proteau on the tradition of Gary Bettman handing out the Cup: “Other than sending him out for the press conference to announce the 2014 Winter Classic, the league has kept Bettman hidden from public view in the wake of the lockout. That didn’t happen by accident and keeping him on the sidelines for the Cup ceremony is a necessary extension of that strategy. Here’s hoping egos and the thin justification that is “tradition” don’t play a role in ending it.” [THN]
• If you’ve not seen it, the hockey GIF of the playoffs, as Alex Ovechkin’s lousy back-check gets turned into a stellar Xbox joke. [HF Boards]Read More »from Alex Ovechkin’s incredible GIF; another LA hockey media fail (Puck Headlines)