Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Ryan Getzlaf and Teemu Selanne believe the Hart Trophy voting is a product of EAST COAST BIAS. "The only time the media in the East sees anyone in the West is when we play them," Getzlaf said. "You're not going to see our games, the media, staying up to 1 or 2 in the morning to watch." Which obviously explains why neither Corey Perry nor Henrik Sedin has ever won the Hart. [ESPN]
• Jonathan Toews, not a whiner: “I think there's another guy across the room there (Patrick Kane) that deserves it just as much, probably more.” [Between The Circles]
• Nineteen-year-old Tom Wilson will make his debut for the Washington Capitals in Game 5, described as a Milan Lucic type. [WashPost]
• If the Leafs beat the Bruins in Game 5, the Caps and Rangers play Game 6 at 4:30 pm. on Sunday; if Boston wins, the game is at 7:30 p.m.
• Ilya Kovalchuk and the Russians seem to be having fun at worlds: “Ilya Kovalchuk loses it in the final seconds of the game, cross-checks a Finnish d-man high repeatedly until he goes down.” [Linus Hogosson]
• Jesse Spector looks to do some debunking: “It really should not come as a surprise that teams who already have beaten an opponent three times in a series have a good track record at winning a fourth—they have won three games for a reason, which generally is that they're better. The teams who get to three wins and then let their opponent force a Game 7 still have a 75-69 record in deciding contests, a .521 winning percentage that is better than teams' in Game 4 up 2-1.” [Sporting News]
• In praise of NBC Sports: “The NHL is not the most enlightened enterprise, not when it locks out once every decade, eschews meaningful revenue sharing, shelters foundering franchises and imports officials from ancient Byzantium. Yet, credit must be given where it is due, and the NHL is shaping up well on the NBC Sports networks. One might even say that it is better off on NBC than in some dark corner of Bristol. Boo yah.” [Dispatch]
• An in-depth look at how New York Islanders fans troll Sidney Crosby. [PSAMP]Read More »from Ryan Getzlaf claims East Coast bias for Hart; praise for NBC (Puck Headlines)